Converting Monsters from Dungeon Magazine

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Those values work, though 2d8 for death throes would fit the original description.

Should we add vulnerability to electricity since the text says they have "the usual vulnerability to lightning" (despite the obvious difference there with flesh golems)?

Cleon

Legend
Added to Homebrews.

Suggested damage for death throes?

Since the original specifically states it's filled with flaming oil, how about basing it on the 3E equivalent of Alchemist's Fire, with the damage boosted one dice size for the greater quantity?
Flaming Death Throes (Ex): When a sleepwalker is destroyed it sprays alchemist's fire from its death wound. All creatures within a 5 foot burst of the golem take 1d3 points of fire damage, except the opponent who struck the final blow who takes 1d8 fire damage (assuming they didn't destroy the golem from outside the 5 foot range of its Death Throes). On the round following the golem's destruction, the attacker who destroyed the golem takes an additional 1d8 points of fire damage. If desired, the golem's destroyer can use a full-round action to attempt to extinguish the flames before taking this additional damage. Extinguishing the flames requires a DC X Reflex save. Rolling on the ground provides the target a +2 bonus on the save. Leaping into a lake or magically extinguishing the flames automatically smothers the fire. The save DC is X-based.
Suggested resistance to fire amount?

I was thinking fire resistance 15, since 3.5 generally has weedier resistance numbers than 3.0, but demiurge's fire resistance 20 works as well for me.

Skills: 10

Intimidate?

They seem too dumb and clumsy for the usual Stealth and Perception skills.

Some weapon-related feats would seem to make most sense.

Improved Sunder, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (falchion) ?

Cleon

Legend
Should we add vulnerability to electricity since the text says they have "the usual vulnerability to lightning" (despite the obvious difference there with flesh golems)?

I think that just means they take standard damage from electricity rather than being invigorated by it like a standard Flesh Golem, not that they take additional damage.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Since the original specifically states it's filled with flaming oil, how about basing it on the 3E equivalent of Alchemist's Fire, with the damage boosted one dice size for the greater quantity?

I'm not sure I like the added complexity of alchemist's fire. Flaming oil simply deals 1d3 points of damage each round someone is within the area, so flat fire damage should suffice.

I think that just means they take standard damage from electricity rather than being invigorated by it like a standard Flesh Golem, not that they take additional damage.

Agreed.

Those skills and feats look appealing. In tactics, we should probably note that they generally use full Power Attack unless commanded otherwise. It seems to fit their modus operandi.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Agreed with Shade as to the full Power Attack (we should include it in their statblock as an option) and the dislike for the alchemist fire-based death throes.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I can agree to flat fire damage, skills, and feats. Though if we want to go with Intimidate, we might want to boost the Cha a little.

Cleon: I think you're right about that lightning bit.

Shade

Monster Junkie
We could give 'em one of those "intimidating strength" abilities, allowing it so substitue its Str score for Cha on Intimidate checks. I know there's precedent, but can't locate one at the moment.

Cleon

Legend
I'm not sure I like the added complexity of alchemist's fire. Flaming oil simply deals 1d3 points of damage each round someone is within the area, so flat fire damage should suffice.

Well you see, unless my memory is failing me (again) in AD&D "flaming oil" was effectively the same as 3rd edition's alchemical fire, both being nasty hot-burning clinging mixture used for setting light to foes. The 1d3 fire damage version of oil was called lamp oil, at least in 2nd edition.

EDIT: I don't mind doing flat fire damage if you don't fancy my proposal.

Cleon

Legend
We could give 'em one of those "intimidating strength" abilities, allowing it so substitue its Str score for Cha on Intimidate checks. I know there's precedent, but can't locate one at the moment.

That sounds a good idea. I'm sure there's a feat or two that does that, too.

That would give them a +15 Intimidation modifier if they max-out their skill. That may be a bit high since it's likely to only be about a Challenge Rating 4-5.

Perhaps split its skill points between Intimidation and another skill?

Not sure what the other skill should be - maybe Climb or Jump, to exploit their only good ability score?

How about Climb and Jump - 4 ranks in Intimidate and 3 ranks in Climb & Jump? Assuming it has "Intimidating Strength", that gives it:

Skills: Climb +8, Jump +8, Intimidate +9

EDIT: Oh yes, the current stats has the word falchion mispelled to "Falcion" in the Attack and Full Attack lines.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Those skills could work, but I see no issue with the high Intimidate modifier.

Updated with the other stuff discussed.

Construction
The pieces of a flesh golem must come from normal human corpses that have not decayed significantly. Assembly requires a minimum of six different bodies—one for each limb, the torso (including head), and the brain. In some cases, more bodies may be necessary. Special unguents and bindings worth 500 gp are also required. Note that creating a flesh golem requires casting a spell with the evil descriptor.

Assembling the body requires a DC 13 Craft (leatherworking) check or a DC 13 Heal check.

CL 8th; Craft Construct, animate dead, bull’s strength, geas/quest, limited wish, caster must be at least 8th level; Price 20,000 gp; Cost 10,500 gp + 780 XP.

Take this, reduce to a single corpse, add the cost of oil, replace limited wish with fireball or another "fiery explosion" spell?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases