Converting monsters from Dungeon Magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Shade said:
Yeah, I'd ditch the percentage, and make it as the contagion spell.

how about:
Contagion (Su?): Any creature struck by a tuyewera’s slam attack must succeed at a Fortitude save (DC X) or contract a debilitating disease. This spell causes (X disease) and affects the creature as a contagion spell (caster level X).

As for the not taking control away, perhaps we should rewrite it to "a tuyewera cannot be commanded by any cleric other than the creator" or somesuch. They should still be able to rebuke them.

how about:
“Bond With Creator” (Ex): A tuyewera is bound to the cleric that created it, and will always follow the commands of its creator. A tuyewera cannot be commanded by any cleric other than the creator, even if rebuked.

Yep, you said: "I’d say it just as it sounds – a special immunity to manufactured weapons (or maybe even natural weapons?) that can be dispelled by dispel magic for 1d4 rounds." That should work, except I'd make it immune to all weapon attacks (natural, manufactured, and unarmed strikes).

how about:
Immune to Weapons (Sp?): A tuyewera is immune to all weapon attacks, including natural and manufactured weapons and unarmed strikes. If a dispel magic spell is cast on a tuyewera, this ability will be dispelled for 1d4 rounds.

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
how about_:
Contagion (Su?): Any creature struck by a tuyewera’s slam attack must succeed at a Fortitude save (DC X) or contract a debilitating disease. This spell causes (X disease) and affects the creature as a contagion spell (caster level X).
We can probably cut out the spell references altogether, and pare it down to...

Contagion (Su): Any creature struck by a tuyewera’s slam attack must succeed at a Fortitude save (DC X) or contract (X disease), which strikes immediately (no incubation period).

BOZ said:
how about_:
“Bond With Creator” (Ex): A tuyewera is bound to the cleric that created it, and will always follow the commands of its creator. A tuyewera cannot be commanded by any cleric other than the creator, even if rebuked.
Excellent!

BOZ said:
how about_:
Immune to Weapons (Sp?): A tuyewera is immune to all weapon attacks, including natural and manufactured weapons and unarmed strikes. If a dispel magic spell is cast on a tuyewera, this ability will be dispelled for 1d4 rounds.
Another success story. ;) I'd make it Su, though.

Shade

Monster Junkie
How about a scimitar for the weapon in the stat block? I picture it wielding a bloody machete...and scimitar seems the closest fit. :]

For weight, how about average human weight, minus enough to account for missing legs, of course. ;)

For advancement, I'd prefer to go with 7-12 HD (Large), 13-18 HD (Huge), rather than "by character class", simply to account for tuyewaras made from ogres and giants. :cool:

Save DCs should be 16 for Cha-based abilities.

I'd prefer racial bonus over using Str for Dex-based skills.

Suggested Feats: Stealthy, Nimble Fingers, Improved Init or Ability Focus (steal breath), and Two-Weapon Fighting (just kidding on that one.)

CR 5 or 6?

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Shade said:
For weight, how about average human weight, minus enough to account for missing legs, of course. ;)

how much would that be, you think? 100 lbs? what is an average human weight?

For advancement, I'd prefer to go with 7-12 HD (Large), 13-18 HD (Huge), rather than "by character class", simply to account for tuyewaras made from ogres and giants. :cool:

don't know why i didn't fill that in already...

I'd prefer racial bonus over using Str for Dex-based skills.

it'll have to be generous, since the Dex is so crappified. :)

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
how much would that be, you think? 100 lbs? what is an average human weight?
An average human weighs 150 pounds. The human leg weighs 25-35 lbs (it's amazing what you can find on the internet). Thus 150 - 50 = 100 lbs.

BOZ said:
it'll have to be generous, since the Dex is so crappified. :)
Agreed. I'd say at least +8. We could always raise their Dex, too, if necessary.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Shade said:
An average human weighs 150 pounds. The human leg weighs 25-35 lbs (it's amazing what you can find on the internet). Thus 150 - 50 = 100 lbs.

lucky guess for me. ;)

Agreed. I'd say at least +8. We could always raise their Dex, too, if necessary.

we could raise their Dex, but wasn’t part of the point that they are clumsy and slow?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Slow, yes, but I reread both descriptions and didn't see anything that led me to believe they were'nt agile. They simply need one hand to keep them balanced while attacking with the other hand, which makes sense.

The fact that they are rogue- and assassin-like makes me think that they actually should be dextrous.

Of course, I'm the joker who originally recommended the low Dex. :eek:

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads