Converting monsters from Dungeon Magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
ooh, I’ve all but ignored this poor guy! :eek: time to try to make up for that…

Cha probably needs to be higher than 12, maybe more like 16 or so.

I like your steal breath writeup. A few nits to pick, though:
Undead cannot have Constitution-based DCs. :)
I think the effect should be more deadly – say 3d4 Con per round. Why? “This requires one full round, at the end of which the victim must roll a successful saving vs. death magic with a -4 penalty. If he fails to save, he is instantly slain, but if he successfully makes his saving throw, he falls into a deathlike coma for 1d4 days.” Granted, D&D no longer uses insta-kill attacks, but we replace such things with very damaging attacks. And what about that coma on a successful save, if you make the save does that make you immune to further attacks from the steal breath?

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
ooh, I’ve all but ignored this poor guy! :eek: time to try to make up for that…
This guy's got bigger problems than you ignoring him...he's got no legs or tongue! :uhoh:

BOZ said:
Cha probably needs to be higher than 12, maybe more like 16 or so.
Agreed.

BOZ said:
I like your steal breath writeup. A few nits to pick, though:
Undead cannot have Constitution-based DCs. :)
I can't take credit for the writeup...I borrowed if from the MM2 breathdrinker.

I can, however, take credit for mistakenly giving an undead creature a Con-based save DC. :eek:

BOZ said:
I think the effect should be more deadly – say 3d4 Con per round. Why? “This requires one full round, at the end of which the victim must roll a successful saving vs. death magic with a -4 penalty. If he fails to save, he is instantly slain, but if he successfully makes his saving throw, he falls into a deathlike coma for 1d4 days.” Granted, D&D no longer uses insta-kill attacks, but we replace such things with very damaging attacks. And what about that coma on a successful save, if you make the save does that make you immune to further attacks from the steal breath?
Agreed on increasing the deadliness. I'm not sure about the coma...that would be awful powerful for a 6 HD creature. I don't think people should be immune to the effect for 24 hours, but I'm open to the possibility.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Here’s what I’m thinking, something like this:

Steal Breath (Su): As a full-round action, a tuyewera can attempt to suck the air from the lungs of any helpless creature within reach. The target must make a successful Fortitude saving throw (DC X) or take 3d4 points of Constitution damage. The target dies when its Constitution score reaches 0. The tuyewera heals 5 points of damage for each point of Constitution the target loses, gaining any excess as temporary hit points. So long as the target remains helpless, the tuyewera continues to use this attack against that creature every round until it dies. If a target succeeds at any saving throw, instead of the Constitution drain it will fall into a deathlike coma for 1d4 days, and will be immune to a tuyewera’s steal breath ability for 24 hours. The save DC is Charisma-based.

(is there a 3e equivalent to feign death, or something like it? Failing that, suspended animation?)

another thought – the Con drain should probably be temporary (i.e., recoverable) in case the character survives. There’s nothing good about having a Con of 4 for the rest of your life. :) however, yes, if you reach Con 0 you’re dead.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I agree that it should be Con damage, not Con drain.

Hmm...the closest 3E equivalent to feign death I could find was an ability possessed by the ghostwalker prestige class, but it didn't really seem like a coma. Would this do the trick?

"The creature remains alive, but is helpless. The comatose creature cannot move or act, nor can it take purely mental actions. It has effective Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores of 0."

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
I agree that it should be Con damage, not Con drain.

d’oh. :) it already says that… sometimes I get confused between damage and drain.

Hmm...the closest 3E equivalent to feign death I could find was an ability possessed by the ghostwalker prestige class, but it didn't really seem like a coma. Would this do the trick?

"The creature remains alive, but is helpless. The comatose creature cannot move or act, nor can it take purely mental actions. It has effective Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores of 0."

perfecto, actually! :)

Shade

Monster Junkie
Great! When you get an opportunity, let me know what you think about my other ramblings in this thread. :)

Shade

Monster Junkie
I was thinking that we hadn't come up with the ability scores and such. But upon scrolling back, I now realize that we have. :\

How about a Homebrews update to keep me on track. ;)

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
your wish is my command. ;)

more stuff (maybe we talked about some of this already):
Furthermore, each successful hit by the hand has a 25% chance to inflict a fatal disease on its opponent (as per the spell cause disease).

how can we work this? Just switch the % chance for a saving throw? And we can substitute the contagion spell.

As undead, tuyeweras are immune to all mental attacks, cold, sleep, and fear. Holy water inflicts 2d4 points of damage per successful attack with a full vial. Tuyeweras are turned as spectres, but an evil cleric cannot take control of a tuyewera away from the cleric who created it.

some of that is covered by the undead type. Also, give it cold immunity and we already gave it turn resistance. I’m pretty sure there is a holy water standard damage already right? And should we keep that line about not taking control of a tuyewera away from its creator?

A special enchantment goes into the making of a tuyewera that renders it immune to all weapons (turning and destructive magic such as fireball are still effective). However, dispel magic removes this enchantment for 1d4 rounds. Clerics who create tuyeweras keep this counterspell handy just in case they meet someone else's tuyewera.

I remember getting into this a little…

There isn’t too much left to work on for these guys. :)

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
your wish is my command. ;)
You are truly a noble djinn. :p

BOZ said:
how can we work this? Just switch the % chance for a saving throw? And we can substitute the contagion spell.
Yeah, I'd ditch the percentage, and make it as the contagion spell.

BOZ said:
some of that is covered by the undead type. Also, give it cold immunity and we already gave it turn resistance. I’m pretty sure there is a holy water standard damage already right? And should we keep that line about not taking control of a tuyewera away from its creator?
The holy water standard: "A direct hit by a flask of holy water deals 2d4 points of damage to an undead creature or an evil outsider. Each such creature within 5 feet of the point where the flask hits takes 1 point of damage from the splash." That should cover it.

As for the not taking control away, perhaps we should rewrite it to "a tuyewera cannot be commanded by any cleric other than the creator" or somesuch. They should still be able to rebuke them.

BOZ said:
I remember getting into this a little…
Yep, you said: "I’d say it just as it sounds – a special immunity to manufactured weapons (or maybe even natural weapons?) that can be dispelled by dispel magic for 1d4 rounds." That should work, except I'd make it immune to all weapon attacks (natural, manufactured, and unarmed strikes).

BOZ said:
There isn’t too much left to work on for these guys. :)
We're getting there. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads