Converting monsters from Dungeon Magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
dhaga said:
That would probably work. Craft (Doll) or (Puppet) maybe too specific?

That was my thought. I like what Shade has now (except that the profession check says "DC DC").

Description: This appears to be an intricate ventriloquist's dummy, about two feet tall, made of wood, brass, and steel, dressed in a cloth costume. Its hand holds a short wand, and it wears a very notable oversized, floppy hat.

Shade

Monster Junkie
freyar said:
That was my thought. I like what Shade has now (except that the profession check says "DC DC").

That should have said "AC/DC". :p

Updated. How's it look now?

dhaga

First Post
Looks good to me, as well.

Nitpicky editor's note:
Wandstrike (Ex): A conjurer puppet can strike with its wand as a swift action. The wandstrike deals 2d6 points of electricity (no save) with a successful range touch attack. Its maximum range is 30 feet with no range increment.

Should be "ranged touch".

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
Stun Puppet

AC 2
MV 9"
HD 6+6
hp 37, 32
#AT 2
Dmg 2-11/2-11
SA stunning
SD immune to mind-affecting spells, electrical attacks, poisons, paralysis, and gas attacks
AL: N

The guards here are similar in appearance to <conjurer puppets>, but they do not carry hats or wands. Instead, they have large bronze-covered fists.

Blows from the puppets which hit on a natural 19 or 20 stun the victim (-4 on "to hit" rolls, -2 to damage, +4 AC penalty, movement rate halved, spellcasting impossible) for 2-7 rounds.

Originally appeared in Dungeon #14 (1988).

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Ok, this shouldn't be too bad. Str should be 12-13 and the damage from the fist slams should be 1d10, I guess. Make a special stun ability such that the fists have threat range 19-20. Successful criticals force the victim to make a Con based Fort save or be stunned for 1d6+1 rounds?

Shade

Monster Junkie
That sounds good, except Stun attacks are usually Strength-based.

Its AC is 3 better than the conjurer puppet. I don't think it should have better Dex (in fact, I'd suggest lower Dex), so give it better natural armor?

Stunning Fists (Ex): A stun puppet's slam attacks threaten a critical hit on a 19-20. Additionally, anyone struck by a stun puppet's slam attack must succeed on a DC X Fortitude save or be stunned for 1d6+1 rounds. The save DC is Strength-based.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads