Converting monsters from First Edition modules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I doubt the Disguise check will be very good. It's a plant pretending to be an animal, after all, and it still looks like a bush.

Indeed! It's almost comical to imagine it smug and self-satisfied with its "disguise". :lol:

We might borrow and modify the imperfect change shape from the lesser ghul...

Diminished Change Shape (Su): A lesser ghul can assume the form of any Small, Medium, or Large humanoid, giant, or genie. This works exactly as the change shape special ability, except that the ghul cannot transform the appearance of its feet. The ghul therefore only gains a bonus of +6 to Disguise checks when using this ability to disguise itself.

Cleon

Legend
So something not as complete as alternate form or change shape. Sure. I can go along with that.

I doubt the Disguise check will be very good. It's a plant pretending to be an animal, after all, and it still looks like a bush.

Yes, I was only thinking of +4 or +5, half the bonus of a Mimic's mimicry or a disguise self spell.

Cleon

Legend
Yes, just a +4 to the Disguise check. And probably no ranks.

That's OK by me.

Diminished Disguise Appearance (Su): A topiary beast can imitate the appearance of any creature it has eaten. This works like the disguise self spell, except the beast retains its original size and can imitate any living creature. The topiary beast's appearance retains vegetative features (vine-like fingers, thorny hair, a greenish complexion, et cetera), so only gains a +4 bonus to Disguise checks when using this ability to disguise itself.

Shade

Monster Junkie
It looks good, but I'd suggest we drop "Diminished" from the ability name since no "Disguise Appearance" ability exists.

Cleon

Legend
It looks good, but I'd suggest we drop "Diminished" from the ability name since no "Disguise Appearance" ability exists.

I like the "Resemble Shape" Shade used earlier, shall we use that?

Revising...

Resemble Shape (Su): A topiary beast can imitate the appearance of any creature it has eaten. This works like the disguise self spell, except the beast retains its original size and can resemble any living creature. The topiary beast's appearance retains vegetative features (vine-like fingers, thorny hair, a greenish complexion, et cetera), so it only gains a +4 bonus to Disguise checks when using this ability to disguise itself.

What are we going to do about the 1-4 number of attacks?

I'm thinking it'd be easier to just give it extra bite attacks as it gains Hit Dice.

Maybe one more bite per 2 Hit Dice, so it has 2 bites at 5 HD, 3 bites at 7 HD and 4 bites at its maximum size of 9 HD?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Lookin' good.

Honestly, additional bite attacks make no sense to me, unless it is resembling a creature with mulitple mouths. Can we just stick with a single bite? Or perhaps allow it to mimic claws, gores, etc. as it advances?

Cleon

Legend
Lookin' good.

Honestly, additional bite attacks make no sense to me, unless it is resembling a creature with mulitple mouths. Can we just stick with a single bite? Or perhaps allow it to mimic claws, gores, etc. as it advances?

Well I was thinking the additional attacks might resemble clawed hands, antlers or whatever, but are technically bites, but upon reflection it doesn't make much difference if the damage is the same.

How about this...

Resemble Shape (Su): A topiary beast can imitate the appearance of any creature it has eaten. This works like the disguise self spell, except the beast retains its original size and can resemble any living creature. The topiary beast's appearance retains vegetative features (vine-like fingers, thorny hair, a greenish complexion, et cetera), so it only gains a +4 bonus to Disguise checks when using this ability to disguise itself.

An advanced topiary beast can use resemble shape to give itself an additional secondary attack for every 2 hit dice it gains (e.g. 1 secondary attack at 5-6 HD, 2 at 7-8 HD and 3 at 9 HD). These attacks can be any natural weapon possessed by a creature the topiary beast has eaten, but the attack always does 1d4 damage, or 1d6 for a Large topiary beast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads