• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting monsters from First Edition modules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
The base saves for a 12 HD magical beast are Fort +8, Ref +8, Will +4.

For stats, I'd recommend the following:

Str 2 Dex 19 Con 14 Int 5 Wis 14 Chr 4

The Dex 19 is derived from another agile swarm, the centipede swarm.
The other physical stats I based off the cranium rat swarm, which would seem to be about the closest sized magical beast swarm.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Based on those ability scores, here are some updates:

Hit Dice: 12d10+24 (90 hp)
Initiative: +4
Armor Class: 16 (+2 size, +4 Dex), touch 16, flat-footed 12
Saves: Fort +8 Ref +12 Will +6
Abilities: Str 2 Dex 19 Con 14 Int 5 Wis 14 Chr 4

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
let's get to finishing these fishy fishy fish up:

Skills: Listen, Spot, and Swim should do.

Feats, maybe: Alertness and Improved Initiative are good staples for feats, and fit these monsters well. Lightning Reflexes also makes sense. For the rest, maybe an Ability or Skill focus, perhaps Iron Will or Endurance?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Agreed on the skills. They get a +8 to swim checks due to swim speed, of course.

I like Ability Focus (heat), Alertness, Endurance, Improved Initiative, and Lightning Reflexes.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
but wait, doesn't the heat damage have no saving throw? would ability focus still work?

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
but wait, doesn't the heat damage have no saving throw? would ability focus still work?

It would work for the weapon melting portion of the ability (as you have it in Homebrews right now). If you don't think that is enough to warrant the feat, go ahead and swap it out for another.

I just figured it would help it melt those annoying fishing hooks that keep hitting it. :p

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
well, lacking a better idea of what to replace it with, i might just leave it. ;)

updated the stats, check out the numbers and everything for me. :)

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
I believe you still have 2 skill ranks left to spend (15 total, right?)

Listen +7 (3 ranks, +2 Wis, +2 Alertness), Spot +7 (3 ranks, +2 Wis, +2 Alertness), Swim +11 (7 ranks, -4 Str, +8 racial)

Otherwise, it looks ready to publish. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads