• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting monsters from First Edition modules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Mortis said:
As an aside we've done an awful lot of constructs lately :)

That was intentional. Partly because I looked at the CC and noticed a lack of constructs compared to many other creature types, partly because it's easier to convert a bunch of similar creatures at once, and partially because I want to start trying to do "themed batches" of uploads. ;)

Shade

Monster Junkie
Give it the following ooze traits?

• Blind (but have the blindsight special quality), with immunity to gaze attacks, visual effects, illusions, and other attack forms that rely on sight.
  • Not subject to flanking.

Damage reduction ?

Skills: 13 (Swim +8 from swim speed)
Put all ranks in Swim like the crystal ooze?

Feats: 4
Ability Focus (paralysis), Great Fortitude, Iron Will, Weapon Focus (slam)?

Environment: Any?

Organization: Solitary or x (2-8)

Advancement: ?

A slime golem is 6(?)feet tall and weighs around x pounds.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Ooze traits: yes.
DR: isn't there a basic set for golems? Maybe add bludgeoning as common for oozes.
Skills & feats look good.
Maybe any underground for environment?
No good idea for the organization.
Maybe standard advancement.
200lbs?

Shade

Monster Junkie
How about "wave" for the organization?

Golems tend to have DR x/adamantine. Spot-checking oozes, it appears that none of them have DR. Your suggestion of x/bludgeoning seems reasonable, though. It also stated a need for magical weapons, so we could go x/magic or x/bludgeoning and magic.

freyar

I must be thinking of the oozes that split when you hit them with piercing or slashing, or something. We should probably go with adamantine for DR.

Wave sounds good.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Ahh...I see what you mean.

I like the /bludgeoning to help differentiate them from most golems. Do we want to add "and magic"?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Will do.

CR 8?

Construction? All we know is the following...

These flaccid, squat, man-sized creatures are created from crystal ooze (MMII27), and combine some of the abilities of the ooze with those of a golem.

For starters, I'd say that a single crystal ooze is needed. Beyond that, maybe hold person or hold monster (for the paralysis), invisibility (for the transparency), resist energy (for the immunity to acid, cold, and fire), and maybe polymorph (to "shape" the ooze)?

freyar

CR 8 seems reasonable, I guess. The AC is a bit low, but it has enough hp and plenty of other defenses.

I'd agree with all those spells. Perhaps something like limited wish or wish to grant intelligence (what do we usually do for that?). Awaken would be good, but it's a darned druid spell. Any other components? Maybe keep them simple because I imagine a crystal ooze is probably difficult enough to come by.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads