Converting monsters from First Edition modules

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
sorry, i can be annoying. :D

as far as the caster levels changing... i noticed that the caster levels were identical for the stone golem and the greater stone golem as were the spells used to create them (although, not surprisingly, the costs increased). should we heed that or is it good to have a lower caster level for this lil' golemite?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Let's heed the tradition. Besides, the caster level isn't going to make much difference when it requires a 16th-level caster to pop out polymorph any object, right?

Shade

Monster Junkie
What first appeared to be a 3 foot tall statue of an armored figure begins to move, revealing it to be a tiny automaton.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
ok, next we're doing monsters from the module WG5 Mordenkainen's Fantastic Adventure!

Colchiln

FREQUENCY Rare (on the Prime Material Plane)
NO. APPEARING: 2-16
ARMORCLASS: 4
MOVE: 10”
HIT DICE: 4-7
% IN LAIR: 60%
TREASURE TYPE: F
NO. OF ATTACKS: 2
DAMAGE/ATTACK: 4-9/4-9 (plus strength bonus)
SPECIAL ATTACKS: Nil
SPECIAL DEFENSE: See below
MAGIC RESISTANCE: 20%
INTELLIGENCE: Low
ALIGNMENT: Neutral Evil
SIZE: S (4 ft.)
PSIONIC ABILITY: Nil
Attack/Defense Modes: Nil/nil
LEVEL/XP VALUE: (4 HD) III/130 + 5/hp; (7 HD) V/500 + 10/hp

The Colchiln are a most uncommon demon-spawn, set upon this world to assist high-level evil beings (demons or similar creatures). They may be found wherever major concentrations of evil are located, but are most often found underground in mountainous caves that extend into the inky depths of the earth, lower level dungeons where abominable rites are practiced and horned non-human deities are worshipped. The colchiln are possibly created from larvae, but the complete process is unknown. Their mission is to serve and follow. They do this very well, for even if they are incapable of imaginative thought, they usually have a good memory and can follow orders explicitly. They are thus often incorporated into legions to fight subterranean wars to which those “evil ones of the pits and caverns” are accustomed.
The colchiln attack with their iron-hard claws, but have no teeth. They usually (55%) move silently, and when set for ambush, surprise their victims two-thirds of the time.
Their strengths range from 18/01 to 18/00, but the creatures gain only the +3, +4, +5, or +6 damage bonus (add to the base ld6.3 points of damage) and not the corresponding “to hit” bonus, as they are rather uncoordinated. However, their appearance provides no indication of their great strength. They never check morale, and will impassively fight to the death in all situations.

Description
A colchiln is black in color, bipedal, with scale-like skin and lidless, bulbous white eyes. Its mouth sports no teeth, but its red forked serpent’s tongue is used to sense things. Its four-fingered hands have iron-hard claws, adamantite-hard in larger varieties of colchiln.

here are some preliminary stats:

Colchiln
Medium Outsider (Evil, Extraplanar)
HD: 4d8+X (X hp)
Initiative: +X
Speed: 25 ft (5 squares)
AC: 15 (+X size, +X Dex, +X natural), touch X, flat-footed X
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+X
Attack: Claw +X melee (2d4+X)
Full Attack: 2 claws +X melee (2d4+X)
Space/Reach: 5 ft/5 ft
Special Attacks: X
Special Qualities: darkvision 60 ft, (damage reduction X/X?), (fearless?), spell resistance 15
Saves: Fort +X Ref +X Will +X
Abilities: Str 19 (at least) Dex X Con X Int 6 Wis X Chr X
Skills: Move Silently (+6 bonus)
Feats: ---

Environment: (Gehenna? Hades? Carceri? – probably created from larva)
Organization: 2-16
Challenge Rating: X
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always neutral evil
Advancement: X
Level Adjustment: +X

COMBAT

Originally found in module WG5 - Mordenkainen's Fantastic Adventure (1984, Robert J. Kuntz and Gary Gygax).

Shade

Monster Junkie
Interesting beastie. Shouldn't it be size Small, since it is only 4 feet tall? Also, it is "demon-spawned" but Neutral Evil. So, should we just say fiend-spawned and make a creation of the yugoloths? Then we can make its plane of origin Gehenna.

Here's a few preliminary ideas filled into what you had. I used the Mane and the Dretch for inspiration for its ability scores other than Strength, and gave it a low Dex to account for its "rather uncoordinated" nature.

I suggest we state that they always Power Attack at their full base attack bonus, to simulate the Strength bonus to damage but not on attack rolls. Whaddya think?

Colchiln
Medium Outsider (Evil, Extraplanar)
HD: 4d8+8 (26 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 25 ft (5 squares)
AC: 15 (+0 size, +5 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+9
Attack: Claw +9 melee (2d4+5)
Full Attack: 2 claws +9 melee (2d4+5)
Space/Reach: 5 ft/5 ft
Special Attacks: -
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft, damage reduction 5/cold iron or good, immunity to fear, spell resistance 15
Saves: Fort +6 Ref +3 Will +5
Abilities: Str 21 Dex 9 Con 14 Int 6 Wis 12 Chr 4
Skills: Hide +7, Listen +7, Move Silently +13 (includes +6 racial bonus) , Spot +7 14 total
Feats: Improved Initiative, Power Attack

Environment: (Gehenna? Hades? Carceri? – probably created from larva)
Organization: Solitary, pair, or legion (2-16)
Challenge Rating: X
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always neutral evil
Advancement: 5-8 HD (Medium); 9-12 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: +X

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Interesting beastie.

I thought so. Definitely different. :)

Shouldn't it be size Small, since it is only 4 feet tall?

I wondered about this one myself. Dwarves are 4 feet tall, after all, and in 3E they are considered Medium. But I can go either way on that…

Also, it is "demon-spawned" but Neutral Evil. So, should we just say fiend-spawned and make a creation of the yugoloths? Then we can make its plane of origin Gehenna.

it’s a matter of 1E terminology being less precise than 3E. Sean Reynolds would have a field day with this one. :D I would say that this thing is considered a “multi-purpose” servitor. Yugoloths sound like a good idea, but we can always give them an ambiguous origin. The text suggests that they are “possibly created from larvae”, so maybe it’s really the night hags that created them? That would make their plane of origin Hades. It’s something to puzzle over. ;)

Here's a few preliminary ideas filled into what you had. I used the Mane and the Dretch for inspiration for its ability scores other than Strength, and gave it a low Dex to account for its "rather uncoordinated" nature.

good call!

I suggest we state that they always Power Attack at their full base attack bonus, to simulate the Strength bonus to damage but not on attack rolls. Whaddya think?

that could work nicely. :D flavor text all the way, though.

Special Qualities: immunity to fear

would this work like the paladin’s Aura of Courage, except that it only affects the colchiln?

Skills: Hide +7, Listen +7, Move Silently +13 (includes +6 racial bonus) , Spot +7 14 total

that’s definitely more than 14… unless you forgot to adjust Hide and MS by –1 for low Dex?

Feats: Improved Initiative

didn’t you say they were uncoordinated? ;)

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
I wondered about this one myself. Dwarves are 4 feet tall, after all, and in 3E they are considered Medium. But I can go either way on that…

The dretch is 4 feet tall and Small. Besides, dwarves just get that because they are the 3.5 uber-race. :D

BOZ said:
it’s a matter of 1E terminology being less precise than 3E. Sean Reynolds would have a field day with this one. :D I would say that this thing is considered a “multi-purpose” servitor. Yugoloths sound like a good idea, but we can always give them an ambiguous origin. The text suggests that they are “possibly created from larvae”, so maybe it’s really the night hags that created them? That would make their plane of origin Hades. It’s something to puzzle over. ;)

No kidding! SKR would blow a gasket, especially if we outfitted them with "enchanted" weapons. How about stick with the ambiguous origin, but instead of demonic say "fiendish". We could set the environment simply as "Lower Planes", right?

BOZ said:
would this work like the paladin’s Aura of Courage, except that it only affects the colchiln?

That sounds do-able.

BOZ said:
that’s definitely more than 14… unless you forgot to adjust Hide and MS by –1 for low Dex?

Oops! That should state "14 remaining", as it has a total of 42 skill points and I allocated all but 14. But...I did forget to adjust everything for low Dex. For some reason, I always think of 9 as +0 instead of -1 for stats.

BOZ said:
didn’t you say they were uncoordinated? ;)

Yep, but many monsters with Dex-penalties have Imp. Init. It's one of the only ways to simulate "suprise" in 3E, right?

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Shade said:
The dretch is 4 feet tall and Small. Besides, dwarves just get that because they are the 3.5 uber-race. :D

good point - Small it is then!

No kidding! SKR would blow a gasket, especially if we outfitted them with "enchanted" weapons. How about stick with the ambiguous origin, but instead of demonic say "fiendish". We could set the environment simply as "Lower Planes", right?

heh heh heh...

and i guess that could work, but what would be the effect of having it be native to the Lower Planes - does that mean it couldn't be banished from any evil plane or something?

i'm going to alter your statblock a little, and post a new version of it in the homebrews forum in a little while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases