Converting monsters from First Edition modules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
i'm waiting till your done with the critter and posting it in your other threads in homebrews before i do ECL and discuss it.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Tyrg
Medium Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 5d10+10 (37 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 50 ft (10 squares)
Armor Class: 15 (+3 Dex, +2 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+8
Attack: Bite +8 melee (1d12+3)
Full Attack: Bite +8 melee (1d12+3) and 2 claws +3 melee (1d4+1)
Space/Reach: 5 ft/5 ft
Special Attacks: Howl, rake 1d4+3
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft, low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +4 Ref +4 Will +1
Abilities: Str 16 Dex 17 Con 15 Int 6 Wis 12 Chr 10
Skills: Hide +, Listen +, Move Silently + (+6 bonus), Spot + – 8 total
Feats: Alertness plus 1 more

Environment: Any mountains, hills, and forest
Organization: Pair, pack (3-5) or pride (6-12 plus 1-4 young)
Challenge Rating: X
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually chaotic neutral
Advancement: 6-10 HD (Medium); 11-15 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: +X

I took shade’s numbers and bumped the Str by +1 (compared tigers and dire wolves, dire wolves had Str 25 so I averaged them – also bumped Cha due to dire wolves’ higher score).

There are also skills and feats to consider of course:
Dire wolves have Hide +0, Listen +7, Move Silently +4, Spot +7, Survival +2 (+4 when tracking by scent) (racial bonus of +2 to Hide, Listen, Move Silently, and Spot); Alertness, Run, Track (B), Weapon Focus (bite)
Tigers have Balance +6, Hide +3 (+8 racial bonus in tall grass or heavy undergrowth), Listen +3, Move Silently +9, Spot +3, Swim +11 (racial bonus of +4 to Balance, Hide, and Move Silently); Alertness, Improved Natural Attack (bite), Improved Natural Attack (claw)

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Ok, while I’m on the tyrg, how about looking at its capabilities:

1e module WG5 (Modenkainen’s Fantastic Adventure)
WG5 said:
When they engage prey in melee, they emit fierce howls which will serve to mildly stun the victims engaged (-1 penalty to initiative, -2 penalty to hit) for the following three rounds. The effects of this stunning are not cumulative, and only after the first three rounds of stunning have worn off can those affected be stunned once again.

1e Monstrous Compendium 5 (Greyhawk)
mc5 said:
When tyrgs engage prey in melee, they emit fierce howls that serve to mildly stun their victims ( +2 penalty to initiative, -2 penalty to attack rolls) for the following three rounds. There is no saving throw for these howls. Note that the effects of this stunning are not cumulative, and only after the first three rounds of stunning have worn off can those affected be stunned again.

and

both sources said:
Tyrgs can move silently 75 % of the time and are surprised only on a roll of 1 due to their superior senses.

and

mc5 said:
If an opponent is overborne, or otherwise finds himself prone on the ground, the tyrg's raking forepaws can inflict ld4 points each on the already besieged victim.

do you think we should give it the old pounce/improved grab/rake routine? Should it have a trip attack too for being canine-like?

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'd make their howl ability leave the opponent shaken on a failed save.

I vote that we give it pounce/improved grab/rake and trip. That sounds like fun. :D

For skills, I'd go with Listen +2, Move Silently +3, and Spot +3, and then give it a racial bonus to Hide, Listen, Move Silently and Spot.

For the remaining feat, I'm thinking Improved Initiative or Improved Natural Attack.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
nahh... i like shaken (not stirred) better. MC5 says no saving throw, and WG5 doesn't even mention a save. should we keep it a no-save effect? those immune to mind-affecting effects would be safe.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
how's dat? :)

Howl (Su?): A tyrg can emit a fierce howl, once per round as a free action, that causes all beings that hear it to be shaken for three rounds. The effects of the howl are not cumulative. The victim cannot be affected by the howl again until the effects of the last howl have worn off. (if we use a saving throw - The save DC is Charisma-based.) This is a sonic, mind-affecting effect.

Edit: posted a tyrg in homebrews, look it over. :)

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
how's dat? :)

Howl (Su?): A tyrg can emit a fierce howl, once per round as a free action, that causes all beings that hear it to be shaken for three rounds. The effects of the howl are not cumulative. The victim cannot be affected by the howl again until the effects of the last howl have worn off. (if we use a saving throw - The save DC is Charisma-based.) This is a sonic, mind-affecting effect.

Edit: posted a tyrg in homebrews, look it over. :)

I like it. I'd vote for a save, or at least a HD limit. I can't really picture a 15th-level fighter being afraid of its howl, yet saving against the frightful presence of a dragon. :p

As for the remaining Xs, here are a few suggestions:

Weight 450-650 lbs. (I figure its canine traits make it slightly heavier than a normal tiger)
Rake +8 melee
Trip +8 check modifier

Remaining feat: Improved Initiative?

CR 4? Tiger has CR 4, but has 1 more HD and thus 1 more feat. Tyrg has howl and trip, which would seem comparable.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
i'm in favor of level limit. ;) it's not a crippling attack, so no save might be a-ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads