Converting monsters from Imagine Magazine

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I dunno about template. If the victim is supposed to be a child or someone too weak to defend themselves, slapping a template onto them isn't going to help over-much. They'll still have 1 hit die. Not to mention the can of worms that opens up making a child in D&D...

Demiurge out.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
demiurge1138 said:
I dunno about template. If the victim is supposed to be a child or someone too weak to defend themselves, slapping a template onto them isn't going to help over-much. They'll still have 1 hit die. Not to mention the can of worms that opens up making a child in D&D...

Good point, I had mainly been thinking about adding a massive Str bonus. But you're right, something would have to be done about the HD. I think I'll change my vote to "monster." Shade, what do you think?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Good point. I'm convinced.

A standard revenant gains +4 Strength and +2 Charisma. Since this isn't a template, that isn't infinitely useful other than to show us what abilities we might wish to focus on.

Other abilties of standard revenants:
- Turn immunity
- immune to acid, gas, cold, electricity, and polymorph
- fast healing 3
- DR 5/magic

Plus, these special abilities:

Paralyzing Glare (Ex): The first time a revenant confronts its killer, the latter must make a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 the revenant's Hit Dice and/or levels + the revenant's Charisma modifier) or be paralyzed for 2d4 rounds.

Vengeful Strike (Ex): Any melee attack the revenant makes against its killer inflicts an additional +1d10 points of damage.

Find the Guilty (Ex): So long as the revenant and its killer are on the same plane of existence, the revenant knows in which direction its killer can be found and how far away he or she is. Depending on the magical abilities of the base creature, this extraordinary sense may even be made to work across planar boundaries.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I like the immunities/resistances of the standard revenant. The paralyzing gaze appears to be replaced by insanity gaze, although I think we can reduce that to Wis damage + confusion. It mentions "fear", but doesn't give any context, so I think we should replace the vengeful strike with an attack that forces a Will save not to cower for a round, like the scarecrow you and BOZ did for the Creature Collection in Dragon Magazine.

Demiurge out.

freyar

Agreed with all that, but let's bump the DR to 10/magic b/c it has enough HD for that. Also, Find the Guilty should expand to include anyone who killed the revenant-manga's murderer.

Shade

Monster Junkie
freyar said:
Agreed with all that, but let's bump the DR to 10/magic b/c it has enough HD for that. Also, Find the Guilty should expand to include anyone who killed the revenant-manga's murderer.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that keeps thinking "manga" when I see the name. ;)

I agree with everything discussed above.

Let's decide on ability scores.

Exceptional Int = 15-16.

The damage output equaled a 2e mummy. Mummy's have Str 24 in 3e. I could see a bit less, though. Maybe 20?

Cha should be at least 12 (due to the +2 from the standard revenant template). A wight and mummy are Cha 15, and I could easily see them being on par.

Dex is probably average. Wis probably in the 13-14 range (compare to wights and mummies).

freyar

Where does this name come from anyway? :p Something like magna cum laude?

Str 20, Dex 11, Con -, Int 15, Wis 14, Cha 15?

Remove ads