Converting monsters from Imagine Magazine

Shade

Monster Junkie
Added to Homebrews.

I followed Demiurge's suggestion and borrowed the cowering touch from the scarecrow.

demiurge1138 said:
The paralyzing gaze appears to be replaced by insanity gaze, although I think we can reduce that to Wis damage + confusion.

I'm fine with that. How much Wis damage? 1d4 points?

I find it interesting that these things are often based off children, yet they are Medium in size. The flavor text is a bit scarce, but I almost wonder if they were originally intended to be incorporeal (although I don't want to go that route).

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Let's do 1d4. Alignment looks right, btw.

Skills: Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Sense Motive, Spot, Survival ?

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
1d4 Wisdom damage looks right.

Regardless of them being children, we could mention in the description that they look stretched and emaciated, as if they were pulled by unnatural force into their current shape.

Demiurge out.

Shade

Monster Junkie
demiurge1138 said:
Regardless of them being children, we could mention in the description that they look stretched and emaciated, as if they were pulled by unnatural force into their current shape.

Me likey! :cool:

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Next, how about this:

Insanity Glare (Su): The first time a revenant-magna confronts its killer (or killer's killer, etc), the latter must make a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 the revenant-magna's Hit Dice + the revenant's Charisma modifier) or be take 1d4 points of Wisdom damage and be confused as the spell for X rounds.

2d4 rounds for that, or maybe based on CL?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Looks good. Let's rename it to "maddening glare" since it doesn't actually cause insanity (in the D&D sense).

2d4 rounds sounds reasonable to me.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

I dropped Survival since they can "auto-track" their quarry with their find the guilty ability.

Feats: 4
Ability Focus (maddening glare)? Iron Will? Power Attack?

Challenge Rating: x

Alignment: Usually(?) lawful evil

Advancement: x

Height/weight?

Remove ads