• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting monsters from Imagine Magazine

Shade

Monster Junkie
freyar said:
Looking pretty good.

CR for this thing? And should the shades have a separate CR or be included in the template CR adjustment?

Since we've rolled them back into the template, I'd say they are part of the corpse's CR. I believe you suggested +2 earlier, which seems about right. Any spells or SLAs the base undead loses they'll make up for with the shades' drain essence.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Sounds ok, I guess, though I worry that the shades' DCs might be a bit low if we apply this to a more powerful undead. Well, let's not worry about that much, as it's probably a wonky kind of case that people won't use much. I had suggested +1 for the corpse and 1 each for the shades, so +2 is probably good altogether, then. We should drop the CR line from the Canopic Shade statblock. I guess we're almost done with this one. :D

Mortis

First Post
Shade said:
Updated. How's it looking now?
Looking good.

What about skills and feats - I'm assuming that now the creature is mindless it will lose any that the base creature had?

Regards
Mortis

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Mortis said:
What about skills and feats - I'm assuming that now the creature is mindless it will lose any that the base creature had?

Guess so. Unless we want to give it any racial bonuses or bonus feats, you know, just to make it a little tougher. ;)

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'd vote for losing the feats and skills. I'm not sure it needs any particular bonus feats. Did you have anything in particular in mind?

Remove ads