Converting monsters from Imagine Magazine

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated in Homebrews.

Fill in the x's...

Environment: X (Any?)
Organization: X (2 canopic shades and 1 canopic corpse)
Challenge Rating: X
Treasure: X (It says "nil", but I'd suppose whatever was buried with the original being could still be present)
Alignment: X (It was Neutral, but I could see a strong case for neutral evil)

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
My ideas:

• Environment: Underground
    I see this as being a "dungeon" or tomb kind of creature, which usually ends up underground.
  • Organization: Ka (2 canopic shades and 1 canopic corpse)
    From wikipedia, the Ka was the Egyptian word for "life force." Interestingly enough, the Egyptians didn't remove the heart and didn't usually preserve the brain, but I still think most people will think "Egyptians" when they read this monster.
  • Challenge Rating: 1
    That seems about right given the HD and saves. Might be a little difficult as an incorporeal creature, but there is an alternate means to destroy them.
  • Treasure: Standard or None (I can't decide!)
    I agree that there should be some treasure, since any tomb robber will likely have destroyed the shades and canopic corpse. However, I can't decide whether the shades should have any treasure separate from the corpse. I do think the corpse should have treasure appropriate to its CR. It would kind of make sense for a richer person to end up as a more challenging undead.
  • Alignment: N
    I prefer the idea that these things are kind of acting out of an instinctive need to pass on, though I wouldn't object to NE either.

Should the canopic corpse get a +1 CR due to the increased turn resistance, or is that roughly canceled by lack of Int?

Last edited:

Mortis

First Post
Shade said:
Environment: X (Any?)
Well it fills a similar niche to the gray philosopher so Any land, underground and aquatic?

Organization: X (2 canopic shades and 1 canopic corpse)
Internment (1 canopic corpse plus 1 canopic brain and 1 canopic heart) assuming that the two shades are still going to use slightly different attacks. The heart affecting Con and the brain Cha.

Challenge Rating: X
CR: Won't that depend the base creature for the canopic corpse? Or shall we have seperate CR's for the shades and the template?

Treasure: X (It says "nil", but I'd suppose whatever was buried with the original being could still be present)
some treasure seems reasonable - Standard?

Alignment: X (It was Neutral, but I could see a strong case for neutral evil)
I agree on NE.

Regards
Mortis

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
Mortis said:
Well it fills a similar niche to the gray philosopher so Any land, underground and aquatic?

Sure, although aquatic seems odd. Of course, aquatic mummies were a staple of the old Daggerfall CRPG. :lol:

Mortis said:
Internment (1 canopic corpse plus 1 canopic brain and 1 canopic heart) assuming that the two shades are still going to use slightly different attacks. The heart affecting Con and the brain Cha.

Perfect, and great name!

Mortis said:
CR: Won't that depend the base creature for the canopic corpse? Or shall we have seperate CR's for the shades and the template?

Separate CRs for the separate component creatures.

Mortis said:
some treasure seems reasonable - Standard?

That'll work.

Any thoughts on Advancement?

Mortis

First Post
Shade said:
Sure, although aquatic seems odd. Of course, aquatic mummies were a staple of the old Daggerfall CRPG. :lol:
I think that the argument was that the tomb was orignally above water but could over the centuries become flooded etc. I don't have a problem if you drop it however.

Perfect, and great name!
I have my moments :D

Separate CRs for the separate component creatures.
As I suspected.

Any thoughts on Advancement?
Not sure - should all three aspects be allowed to advance seperately or, as I would prefer, base the advancement on the base creature's hit dice. The bigger the base creature the more powerful the heart and brain become?

Regards
Mortis

freyar

I do like the name! :D

Like I mentioned above, I'd guess the shades are each CR1. I don't know about the corpse; just for the turn resistance, I'd give the template +1 to CR. However, for something like a vampire, the lack of intelligence might negate that kind of advantage.

I've been thinking, and I like standard treasure for the corpse and none (or half) for the shades. That way, the rich burials become stronger undead.

I second Mortis's idea on advancement. The shades should advance according to the HD of the corpse.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Mortis said:
Not sure - should all three aspects be allowed to advance seperately or, as I would prefer, base the advancement on the base creature's hit dice. The bigger the base creature the more powerful the heart and brain become?

I like this, but where/how do we fit that in?

Mortis

First Post
Shade said:
I like this, but where/how do we fit that in?
How is 'quite' easy - a table with increasing abilities corresponding to the base creatures HD.
Where would probably have to be in the template.

I'm beginning to think that we could borrow an idea from the Bloodsipper and pod denizen and use abbreviated stat blocks for the heart and brain (and thus have them part of the template)

What do you guys think?

Regards
Mortis

freyar

Mortis said:
How is 'quite' easy - a table with increasing abilities corresponding to the base creatures HD.
Where would probably have to be in the template.

I'm beginning to think that we could borrow an idea from the Bloodsipper and pod denizen and use abbreviated stat blocks for the heart and brain (and thus have them part of the template)

What do you guys think?

I like it! For the canopic shade abilities, we could just use something like Cha/Wis= 12+HD/2+Cha/Wis bonus (min 0), where the right hand of that equation refers to the base undead. Then the shades for a sentient undead might get a bit more of a boost.

How about that?

Remove ads