Converting Monsters from Polyhedron Magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
freyar said:
I'd say that the natural armor sounds reasonable, though it's 6 more than the clay golem. Is AC 28 still reasonable for CR 11?

At CR 11, the shadesteel golem is AC 33. The alchemical and stone golems are AC 26.

Shade

Monster Junkie
There's not much to these next fellows.

Straw Golems: 2; AL N; MV 12"; HD 2 + 4; hp 20 each; AC 10; THAC0 16; #AT 2; Dmg 1-2, 1-2; Size M; In non; Sts 10; Stw 9; SD immune to bladed weapons; half damage from blunt weapons; double damage from fire; immune to mind-effecting magic

From Polyhedron #41.

Echohawk posted an image here.

Shroomy

Adventurer
Shade said:
There's not much to these next fellows.

Straw Golems: 2; AL N; MV 12"; HD 2 + 4; hp 20 each; AC 10; THAC0 16; #AT 2; Dmg 1-2, 1-2; Size M; In non; Sts 10; Stw 9; SD immune to bladed weapons; half damage from blunt weapons; double damage from fire; immune to mind-effecting magic

From Polyhedron #41.

Echohawk posted an image here.

Kind of blah if you ask me and I'd rather use a scarecrow. One thing though, I don't understand the immunity to bladed weapons, I'd ditch that and replace it with DR that affects blunt and piercing weapons

Shade

Monster Junkie
Shroomy said:
Kind of blah if you ask me and I'd rather use a scarecrow. One thing though, I don't understand the immunity to bladed weapons, I'd ditch that and replace it with DR that affects blunt and piercing weapons

Agreed on all counts. I picture these fellows as cheap, weak versions of the scarecrow.

The 5-HD scarecrow has +4 natural armor, damage reduction 5/slashing or bludgeoning, immunity to cold, and vulnerability to fire.

Its abilities are: Str 15, Dex 10, Con —, Int —, Wis 11, Cha 10

Maybe reduce these fellows to Str 13, no natural armor, no immunity to cold, and damage reduction 3/slashing or bludgeoning?

Where scarecrows have claw attacks, these fellas look more like slams from the picture.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Agreed. The original damage looks like 1d2. That's incredibly low, even for something cheap, so maybe 1d4+str?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads