• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Monsters from Polyhedron Magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
24 hours is good, and I like the mention of the command to keep eating.
Right, I thought that would be simpler (and do the same thing) as having the addiction. Should dominated creatures automatically (ie, "intentionally" due to their domination) fail their saves against fruit they eat?

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I don't think so. Give them a chance to escape. If they pass, the plant can just command the rest of its thralls to kill the poor sap.

freyar

Fine by me.

Should we move on to Spell Devouring or whatever we want to call it?

The telexian vine is especially fond of eating spell-using creatures, humans, and demi-humans, as it is able to "absorb" all 1st and 2nd level spells held in those victims' memories. The plant can retain up to 12 spells of each level, losing a spell when it uses one to attack a target or to defend itself. It "casts" these spells as if it were a 5th level wizard.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Thanks!

Here are the pertinent bits:

On the round following detection, an obliviax can steal the memories of an intelligent creature within 60 feet. It can attempt this theft only once per round. The affected creature must succeed on a DC 14 Will save or lose all recollection of the last 24 hours. If the target is a spellcaster who prepares spells, all prepared spells are lost until the target rests to prepare them again. If the target is a spellcaster who does not prepare spells, the target loses all remaining spells per day until he rests again. An affected creature takes 1d3 points of Wisdom damage, becoming baffled and disoriented, with all memory of the previous 24 hours completely blanked out. Surrounding the moss with lead will block this power totally. This is a mind-affecting compulsion effect. This effect cannot negate charm, geas/quest, suggestion, or similar spells. Obliviaxes prefer the memories of arcane spellcasters who prepare spells above all others.

Stolen Spells (Su): An obliviax mossling can cast some of the spells stolen by its parent patch of obliviax when it was created. Although all the spells are stolen, an oblviax mossling can only cast spells of a level equal to or lower than its Hit Dice. The caster level for a stolen spell is the minimum caster level needed to cast the spell, regardless of the original caster's level. The save DCs are Charisma-based. The mossling casts its stolen spells as if they were spell-like abilities, although once it casts a spell, it cannot reuse that spell. If the obliviax stole the memories of a spellcaster who does not prepare spells, then the remaining spells per day are determined randomly from the caster's list of spells known.

freyar

I don't think we really need the first paragraph, since the telexian vine is only going to get spells from casters it actually kills and eats. But the Stolen spells looks about right, just using spells of 2nd level or less at CL 5.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Like so?

Stolen Spells (Su): A telexian vine can cast some of the spells of spellcasters it has eaten. A telexian vine can only cast spells of 2nd-level or lower, and its caster level is 5th. The save DCs are Charisma-based. The telexian vine casts its stolen spells as if they were spell-like abilities, although once it casts a spell, it cannot reuse that spell. If the telexian vine stole devours a spellcaster who does not prepare spells, then the remaining spells per day are determined randomly from the caster's list of spells known.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads