Converting Monsters from Polyhedron Magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Looks good to me, also. Should we add the property that he's enchanted to weigh less (after construction)? Could add feather fall to accomplish that.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Look good?

Although Wilbur is unique, the construction process of a pig iron golem could be duplicated. A pig iron golem’s body is sculpted from 833 pounds of pure iron, smelted with rare tinctures and admixtures costing at least 5,000 gp. Assembling the body requires a DC 15 Craft (armorsmithing) check or a DC 15 Craft (weaponsmithing) check.

CL 11th; Craft Construct, feather fall, geas/quest, secret chest, shrink item, caster must be at least 11th level; Price 50,000 gp; Cost 27,500 gp + 2,000 XP.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Mortis said:
Absolutely - is that it done?

It looks like it. Next!

SHADOW GOLEM

FREQUENCY: Very rare
NO. APPEARING: 1
ARMOR CLASS: 6
MOVE: 9"
HIT DICE: 70 hit points
% IN LAIR: Nil
TREASURE TYPE: Nil
NO. OF ATTACKS: 1
DAMAGE/ATTACK: 9-36
SPECIAL ATTACKS: See below
SPECIAL DEFENSES: See below
MAGIC RESISTANCE: See below
INTELLIGENCE: Non
ALIGNMENT: Neutral
SIZE: L (16' tall)
PSIONIC ABILITY: Nil Attack/Defense Modes: Nil
LEVEL/X.P. VALUE: IX/8750

Shadow golems can be constructed by illusionists of 14th-level or higher. The process entails the casting of the following spells into an specially-fashioned obsidian statue: continual darkness, summon shadow, shades, and alter reality. Construction of a shadow golem requires two months of time and 60,000 gp.

Shadow golems are slightly malevolent in their actions and will seek to twist the meaning of their masters wishes. Therefore, care must be used in giving instructions; simple commands (i.e. stop, go, kill, take, etc.) are far more likely to be carried out without incident than are complex chains of instructions.

When completed, a shadow golem appears as a huge human composed of dull black shadowy matter. Its eyes glow a wicked-looking red.

Shadow golems can be hit only by weapons of +3 or greater enchantment. Most spells do not affect them, but continual light inflicts 3-18 points of damage, and continual darkness repairs 1d6 points of damage to the golem per level of the caster. Note, however, that shadow golems avoid the light of the sun, for that will kill them after 3 rounds of continuous exposure.

In areas of shadow and darkness, shadow golems are virtually undetectable without magical aid, and they can surprise on 1-5 (ld6). They attack as 16+ hit die monsters, and each successful hit requires the victim to save vs. spells or lose 2 points of strength.

Any character whose strength is reduced to 0 in this manner becomes a shadow. Shadow golems are as strong as stone golems.

Originally appeared in Polyhedron #30.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Large or Huge? 16 foot is generally the cutoff point. We could start Large and make the advancement begin at Huge. Or break the usual golems=Large mold and start 'em out Huge.

"strong as stone golems" = Str 29 (Large) or 37 (Huge)

We can borrow/modify most of this from shadows...

Strength Damage (Su): The touch of a shadow deals 1d6 points of Strength damage to a living foe. A creature reduced to Strength 0 by a shadow dies. This is a negative energy effect.

Create Spawn (Su): Any humanoid reduced to Strength 0 by a shadow becomes a shadow under the control of its killer within 1d4 rounds.

Skills: Shadows have a +2 racial bonus on Listen and Spot checks and a +4 racial bonus on Search checks. *A shadow gains a +4 racial bonus on Hide checks in areas of shadowy illumination. In brightly lit areas, it takes a –4 penalty on Hide checks.

freyar

Sorry, it's been a busy couple of weeks. I can see freedom soon, though. :D

Oh, let's just go with starting them large. I think your Str and borrowing from shadows is pretty much spot on.

Need some kind of light vulnerability, like that of the vampire, maybe, in addition to the usual stuff in the immunity to magic section. Definitely need DRX/magic (along with whatever else).

Shade

Monster Junkie
Added to Homebrews.

I gave it the same Hit Dice as the stone golem based on "Shadow golems are as strong as stone golems." We could start it at 16 HD based on "They attack as 16+ hit die monsters".

I modified the vampire's vulnerability to sunlight to fit the shadow golem's description.

I gave it the stone golem's ability scores, but thought that we might want to increase the Dex and lower the natural armor.

Thoughts?

freyar

Let's bump to 16HD just for the h*** of it. I like your suggestions about Dex and nat armor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads