Converting monsters from Tales From The Infinite Staircase

Cleon

Legend
Actually, why don't we give them the +4 strength difference that's the normal advancement from size Small to Medium?

It's sort-of in keeping from the rules and increases the difference from enlarge person.

So how about this for the revised Enlargement?

Enlargement (Ex): A kamerel with 6 or more Hit Dice can enlarge its size to Medium as a full-round action. This size change gives the kamerel a +4 size bonus to Strength but does not alter the kamerel's other ability scores. The enlarged kamerel gains all the other benefits and penalties of being Medium size. All equipment worn or carried by the kamerel is similarly enlarged by this ability, but instantly return to their normal size if they leave the enlarged kamerel's possession. This means that projectile weapons deal their normal (Small) damage. Size enlargement lasts as long as the kamerel remains conscious or until it reverses it (a free action).

Cleon

Legend
Actually, why don't we give them the +4 strength difference that's the normal advancement from size Small to Medium?

It's sort-of in keeping from the rules and increases the difference from enlarge person.

Come to think of it, I haven't added the equipment to the Kamerel mage yet...

Updating Kamerel Mage Working Draft.

Oh, and are we tweaking the Pass Into Reflection ability to fix the bug that Oryan's worrying about?

It'd be easy enough to add a line to Pass Into Reflection to resolve the problem. e.g. "Unlike a normal supernatural power, Pass Into Reflection is only annulled by the limited magic trait around the central spire of the Outlands if the kamerel is within 100 miles of the spire."

After playing our game tonight, I noticed a conflict related to how 3e works. In 3e, supernatural abilities are nullified when you hit the 5th ring of the Outlands according to the Manual of the Planes. Since the Mirrored Library is on the 1st ring of the Outlands, supernatural abilities are technically not supposed to work.

So the Pass into Reflection SU ability wouldn't work there unless there is some way around that. I figured I'd point this out in case it mattered.

I'm pretty sure that has already been mentioned in this conversion thread, but I think we decided to just forget about it.

If it bothers you, it'd be easy enough to fix - either make the kamerel's innate magical abilities (Sp) which work like 1st level mirror magic spells or keep them (Su) with a special exception that the Spire only annuls them if the kamerel's within 100 miles of it.

Cleon

Legend
Is the mage all done now, and are we ready for Nen Itan?

Looks that way.

Here's his original stats:

NEN ITAN, KAMEREL LEADER, W10: AC 4 (bracers AC 4); MV 12; hp 28; THAC0 17 (16 with dagger); #AT 1; Dmg 1d4+1 (dagger +1); SA spells; SD immune to electricity, blinding or deafening attacks, and petrification; SZ M (5’ tall); ML champion (16); Int genius (17); AL N; XP 4,000.

Spells (15): burning hands (×2), darkness, detect magic, magic missile, reduce (×2), scry mirror (×4), shield, transport mirror (×2).

Cleon

Legend
NEN ITAN, KAMEREL LEADER, W10: AC 4 (bracers AC 4); MV 12; hp 28; THAC0 17 (16 with dagger); #AT 1; Dmg 1d4+1 (dagger +1); SA spells; SD immune to electricity, blinding or deafening attacks, and petrification; SZ M (5’ tall); ML champion (16); Int genius (17); AL N; XP 4,000.

Spells (15): burning hands (×2), darkness, detect magic, magic missile, reduce (×2), scry mirror (×4), shield, transport mirror (×2).

So, I guess we can start by taking the Kamerel Mage and adding another 4 levels of wizard. That'd give him another point of ability advancement, which I guess ought to go in Charisma - which'll result in stats of Str 6, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 6, Cha 18.

A 10th level NPC wizard has 16,000 gp worth of gear, so we can't afford the AC 4 bracers the original has, since +6 bracers of armour cost 16,000 gp in 3E. Indeed, it'd be tricky to give him magical items that provide a permanent +6 bonus to AC on that budget - combining +3 bracers of armour (9k), gauntlets of Dex +2 (4k) and a +2 ring of protection (8k) would cost of 21,000 gp, which is more than his wealth-by-level.

Hmm, +2 bracers of armour (4k), +1 amulet of natural armour (2k), gauntlets of Dex +2 (4k) and a +2 ring of protection (8k) would still be too expensive at 18,000 gp.

I think we'd be better off giving him a wand of shield (750 gp) plus +2 bracers of armour (4,000 gp) and assume he'll always have shield up in hostile territory. That'll leave him enough for something useful for spellcasting. Although it'd be more practical for him to buy a +2 headband of intellect for the price of even +2 bracers.

Oh, and he has a +1 dagger, which'll cost another 2,302 gp.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I think it's better to avoid worrying about the exact match to AC and get him the headband of intellect. We might also consider using the elite array for the stats.

Cleon

Legend
I think it's better to avoid worrying about the exact match to AC and get him the headband of intellect.

Yeah, that makes sense.

It'd have to be a +2 headband, since the +4 version would cost all of our equipment budget.

So for a start we've got:

Budget: 16,000 gp
+2 headband of intellect (4,000 gp)
+1 dagger (2,302 gp)
Spent: 6,302 gp
Remainder: 9,698 gp

We might also consider using the elite array for the stats.

We're already used the Elite array.

Remove ads