Converting monsters from Tales From The Infinite Staircase

Cleon

Legend
I'm thinking the Giant Riding Fly section could benefit from having an "In Maelost" section about the fly mounts used by the hanim:

In Maelost
On their native plane of Maelost, giant riding flies are domesticated by the hanim, a race of humans with a symbiotic bond with wormlike creatures called valgoss, granting them the valgoss host template. Hanim fly mounts have their own valgoss symbionts, allowing the hanim to use their Ride skill without the template's penalty to Charisma skill checks against a creature who isn't a valgoss host.

A typical hanim giant fly has a single valgoss symbiont with the Gift of Constitution, resulting in the following:

Giant Fly Mount (Valgoss Host Riding Fly) (Large Magical Beast; Hit Dice: 6d10+24–2 (55 hp); Init: +2; Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), climb 20 ft., fly 70 ft. (good); AC: 15 (–1 size, +2 Dex, +4 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 13; Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+14; Attack/Full Attack: Bite +9 melee (2d8+6 plus attach); Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.; Special Attacks: Attach, gnaw; Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., resistant to disease, scent, protection from the taker of life, slaiyith gift (constitution), valgoss telepathy, vermin traits; Saves: Fort +9 (+13 vs. disease), Ref +9, Will +2; Abilities: Str 18, Dex 15, Con 18, Int 1, Wis 10, Cha 3; Skills: Climb +12, Listen +8, Spot +9, Survival +2; Feats: Dodge, Endurance, Lightning Reflexes; CR: 4)

Cleon

Legend
Giant Fly Mount (Valgoss Host Riding Fly) (Large Magical Beast; Hit Dice: 6d10+24–2 (55 hp); Init: +2; Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), climb 20 ft., fly 70 ft. (good); AC: 15 (–1 size, +2 Dex, +4 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 13; Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+14; Attack/Full Attack: Bite +9 melee (2d8+6 plus attach); Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.; Special Attacks: Attach, gnaw; Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., resistant to disease, scent, protection from the taker of life, slaiyith gift (constitution), valgoss telepathy, vermin traits; Saves: Fort +9 (+13 vs. disease), Ref +9, Will +2; Abilities: Str 18, Dex 15, Con 18, Int 1, Wis 10, Cha 3; Skills: Climb +12, Listen +8, Spot +9, Survival +2; Feats: Dodge, Endurance, Lightning Reflexes; CR: 4)

Hold on, a Giant Riding Fly isn't a Vermin so I should either cut out the "vermin traits" or give it some "verminlike" SQ that gives it vermin attributes (like immunity to mind-affecting spells, being vulnerable by vermin-affecting spells, etc).

Which of those options do you prefer?

I'm inclined to just cut out the vermin traits, since the 3E vermin's blanket immunity to mind-affecting spells (a) doesn't exist in AD&D. and (b) the Giant Riding Fly's not mindless!

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I'm ok with the complicated familiars. It's not so different than other familiar benefits.

The hanim background is good, too. I agree with your point about the domain.

Drop the vermin traits from the Giant Riding Fly, agreed!

What are your thoughts on the wormtongue spell? (Just posting quickly so I stay within a month of my last post!)

Cleon

Legend
I'm ok with the complicated familiars. It's not so different than other familiar benefits.

Updating Worm Magic.

The hanim background is good, too. I agree with your point about the domain.

Updating Sample Valgoss Host (Hanim).

Hold on, I already put the background in. No update necessary!

Drop the vermin traits from the Giant Riding Fly, agreed!

Updating Giant Fly Mount Giant Riding Fly Working Draft.

I'll also need to update the version in the Creature Catalog…

What are your thoughts on the wormtongue spell? (Just posting quickly so I stay within a month of my last post!)

What, beyond the Wormtongue rough draft I did last November?

I'm thinking of changing its escape grapple modifier from BAB-based to CL-based.

i.e. make it "and its grapple modifier to escape holds equals your caster level (max +20) plus ability modifier (Intelligence or Wisdom) plus a +10 bonus."

Also, I think we should give types to the untyped bonuses - the +4 attack/AC bonus is a size bonus, the +10 escape grapple bonus would be a racial bonus if it was a creature (i.e. the SRD Octopus), but I'm thinking enhancement might be better as it's magic. Although "it's magic" is a bit of a catch-all excuse!

Cleon

Legend
I've updated my Master Copy of the Creature Catalog, but there's multiple cross-links between the Giant Fly Mount and Valgoss entries, so I think we'd better finish the Hanim and their Worm Magic first before I update the Enworld version of the CC.

We might want to finish the Slaiyith first too before updating - they're all interconnected!

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
You know, that wormtongue working draft does look good. I think I got confused because it's not in the Maelost Worm Magic working draft yet.

Yes, we can do the slaiyith before updating. There should be a lot of hyperlinks, I agree.

I think we still have curse of the worm left. And it's the same level as slay living, which makes logical sense. It's ranged, but it takes longer and has some magical escape hatches. Want to just crib from slay living?

Cleon

Legend
You know, that wormtongue working draft does look good. I think I got confused because it's not in the Maelost Worm Magic working draft yet.

Updating Worm Magic.

I tweaked wormtongue to change "The subject cannot cast spells with a Verbal component until they regain the ability to speak" to "A subject unable to speak clearly cannot cast spells with a Verbal component" since it's slightly more elegant.

Yes, we can do the slaiyith before updating. There should be a lot of hyperlinks, I agree.

Agreed!

I think we still have curse of the worm left. And it's the same level as slay living, which makes logical sense. It's ranged, but it takes longer and has some magical escape hatches. Want to just crib from slay living?

That's the only remaining spell, yes.

There's still a bit of work on the Worm Lord to finish but at least the end is in sight! Although that end is the start of the Slaiyith.

It seems clearer to do a new post with the "Work So Far" for curse of the worm.

I'm curious as to how the victim can speak and attack normally while live worms are pouring of of their mouths, but I guess it's magic so it doesn't have to make sense! Personally I'd at the very least require a Concentration check or something.

Cleon

Legend
Here's what we have so far for curse of the worm:

Original Spell:
CURSE OF THE WORMS 5th-Level Priest Spell (Conjuration/Summoning)
Sphere: Animal, Summoning
Range: 30 yds. + 1 yd./levelComponents: V, S, MDuration: SpecialCasting Time: 1 roundArea of Effect: 1 creatureSaving Throw: Special

A horrid variation of slay living (the reverse of raise dead), this spell summons a number of worms into the body of a victim, which then begin to squirm out of every orifice. The victim must make a successful saving throw vs. death magic or die from multiple hemorrhages and suffocation in 1d4 rounds. The worms continue to issue forth during this time and for 1d6 rounds afterward. The victim cannot use spells, magical items, or mental abilities while the worms erupt, but can move, speak, and attack normally. The worms are real in every sense and remain even after the victim is dead. A remove curse or dispel evil spell or successful dispel magic spell cast before the victim dies ends the effect and saves the victim’s life, but the victim still suffers damage as noted below.

Those who successfully make saving throws still suffer 2d8 points of damage from hemorrhaging and choking, and a small number of worms briefly issue forth from the victim’s body.

The material component is a pinch of dust taken from a desiccated worm.

Rough Draft:
Curse of the Worms
Conjuration (Summoning)[Death]
Level: Worm 5
Components: V, S, M, DF
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Targets: One living creature
Duration: Special (see below)
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial
Spell Resistance: Yes

[This is basically a ranged and slower-acting slay living spell.]

Material Component: A pinch of powdered dried worm.

The Slay Living Spell:
SRD said:
Slay Living
Necromancy [Death]
Level: Clr, Death 5
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Targets: Living creature touched
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial

You can slay any one living creature. You must succeed on a melee touch attack to touch the subject, and it can avoid death with a successful Fortitude save. If it succeeds, it instead takes 3d6 points of damage +1 point per caster level.

If you're lucky I might get around to a new working draft today, but I fancy a break and have things to do this evening.

Cleon

Legend
Curse of the Worms
Conjuration (Calling)
Level: Worm 5
Components: V, S, M, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Targets: One living creature
Duration: Special (4 rounds plus 1d8 rounds and/or instantaneous, see below for details)
Saving Throw: Will partial and Fortitude negates (see below)

This spell causes live worms to appear within a living creature. The subject must attempt a Will save, if successful the spell ends and the subject immediately purges themselves of the worms, taking 2d8 points of damage +1 point per caster level as the worms pour out of every orifice.

If the subject fails the Will save, worms continually appear within their body for the duration of the spell. The subject must make a Fortitude save as soon as they are affected by curse of the worms and must repeat the save each round the spell lasts. If the subject fails one of these Fort saves, the following round the victim drops to -1 hit points and is dying, and on the subsequent round they die from choking to death and fatal hemorrhages. Creatures that do not need to breathe and are immune to critical hits are immune to this lethal effect. However,the worms destroy some of the victim's vital organs in 4 rounds, causing death regardless of the subject's Fortitude saves or immunity to critical damage and suffocation. Living worms continue pouring out of the victim's corpse after death for the entire duration of the spell, or 1d8 rounds after the worms reach the subject's vital organs.

The worms are ordinary living creatures conjured by a calling effect, so remain in existence after the spell expires. They appear inside the victim's body cavities and the subject can act normally while affected by curse of the worms provided they remain conscious. However, they must make Concentration checks (DC 10 plus caster level) to perform actions that require full attention such as spellcasting, due to the disquieting sensation of having living vermin squirming inside them.

A remove curse or dispel evil spell will end the spell's duration, as will a successful dispel magic or break enchantment spell. Prematurely ending the spell's duration causes the subject to purge the worms from their body, taking 2d8 points of damage +1 point per caster level but avoid the "drop to dying or death" effects of failing a Fortitude save.

Material Component: A pinch of powdered dried worm.

Remove ads