Converting monsters from Tales From The Infinite Staircase

Cleon

Legend
I like your suggested gear. We can leave off the haversack --- if you want to add some scrolls or potions, that's fine, but I also think it would be reasonable to leave him with some money or gems.

I'm not sure the Hanim even have currency. Certainly they wouldn't have gold or silver coins if there's almost no metal on Maelost.

Let's drop the haversack and give him a spell component pouch plus a few other items and odd gems worth 3,440.

How about scrolls of restoration, slay living and true seeing for 3,300 gp?

That'd make it:

Equipment: folding boat, gloves of dexterity (+2), headband of intellect (+2), periapt of wisdom (+2), restorative ointment, ring of force shield, scroll of restoration (7th), scroll of slay living (9th), scroll of true seeing (9th), masterwork quarterstaff, wand of cure light wounds (1st), wand of dispel magic (9th, 21 charges), spell component pouch; plus one 100-gp gem and four 10-gp gems.

Regular gear with a masterwork quarterstaff will be fine for the fighter host.

Agreed.

Cleon

Legend
Hold on, I just noticed something in our Valgoss working draft.

The phyical ability boosting Slaiyith Gifts of the Valgoss Host template all have "The host gains a +2 inherent bonus" but inherent isn't an SRD Modifier Type. Shouldn't we change this to, say, a racial bonus or make it typeless? I'm inclined to the latter and have "The host gains a +2 bonus".

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
That equipment line will work for me.

I can go for an untyped bonus, too. (I thought "inherent" is how sometimes people describe the ability bonus characters get as they advance in levels.)

I guess we should work out the spells next. Starting with the cleric spells, what's another good domain for the hanim? Does Water make sense?

Cleon

Legend
That equipment line will work for me.

Updating the Hanim Worm Lord.

While updating I realized a possible problem. We are assuming the worm lord uses the same equipment in both his own body and when he swaps to a fighter body, right? Presumably once they swap bodies the worm lord just takes his equipment from his actual body and puts it on the fighter's body he's occupying.

The Worm Lord will have Int 18, Wis 18 in a body with his headband of intellect and periapt of wisdom but Int 16, Wis 16 in a body without those magic items.

However, even if he only loses the use of his headband and periapt for a few rounds when he swaps bodies, won't that cause a couple of his bonus spells to evaporate?

I'm inclined to handwave the issue away and assume he keeps the bonus spells somehow or other.

Frankly, the notion that magic items and other enhancement modifiers to an ability score can increase the bonus spells a character gains seems iffy to me, but it appears to be how the rules work going by numerous characters published by WotC.

It's not an issue with Zophiel the Worm Lord in the original adventure - the text specifies he never uses the Hanim Gift to swap bodies.

I can go for an untyped bonus, too. (I thought "inherent" is how sometimes people describe the ability bonus characters get as they advance in levels.)

Updating the Valgoss Working Draft.

I guess we should work out the spells next. Starting with the cleric spells, what's another good domain for the hanim? Does Water make sense?

I'd mulled about that for quite a while when I first tried roughing out the Worm Lord and am tempted by the Community Domain, since many of its spells could be interpreted as attempts to imitate the valgoss hive mind. As the source text says "The Hanim exemplify the ultimate communal society".

If you don't fancy Community, my secondary domain choices would be something that's elemental or natural in orientation like Air, Animal, Earth, Plant or Weather or just generic like Knowledge or Protection.

As for Water… maybe? On Maelost all bodies of surface water on the plane are inhabited by an evil sentience the hanim call "Death-Below-From-Above" or "The Taker of Life" because it wants to kill EVERYTHING and only doesn't attack them because of their Slaiyith's Gift. The hanim might think clerics with the Water Domain are horribly Evil, or they might respect them for being people who can rebuke the Taker's Water Creations (who presumably have the Water subtype like in my homebrew of them).

Zophiel the Worm Lord is a nasty piece of work who might well choose Water as a domain in order to Command Water Creations but you'd think that'd risk him being ostracized by his tribe (which is presumably a fate equal to death for the community-minded hanim).

Besides, I'm approaching this character as a generic Worm Lord who's not outright Neutral Evil like Zophiel, but "usually neutral" like a regular Hanim.

Hmm… the hanim have a close relationship with a benevolent entity called the Dark Dweller, who provides them with free transportation and cleansing (completely and permanently removing curses, diseases, and hair), so perhaps hanim like the Darkness domain? Nah, that has blindness, summon shadows, nightmare, power word blind and power word kill - none of which seem appropriate for a creature of goodness!

freyar

Community is a good idea for the second domain. I like that!

Why don't we add something to the Hanim Gift allowing a few rounds to swap magic items? It's clumsy, but it would work. It's a messed up case, to be sure.

Cleon

Legend
Community is a good idea for the second domain. I like that!

So shall we give him the Community domain spells in the non-Worm domain spell levels?

Let's see, that'll be 1st and 3rd, for the spells bless and prayer. Both decent generic cleric spells.

Why don't we add something to the Hanim Gift allowing a few rounds to swap magic items? It's clumsy, but it would work. It's a messed up case, to be sure.

I'm inclined to just ignore the issue.

freyar

That sounds good for the spells.

Why don't we just put some bit in the tactics that the worm lord only swaps with a fighter host in desperate situations?

Ready to tackle the rest of the spells? Cleric first?

Cleon

Legend
That sounds good for the spells.

Right-ho!

Why don't we just put some bit in the tactics that the worm lord only swaps with a fighter host in desperate situations?
Ready to tackle the rest of the spells? Cleric first?

It makes no difference to me, so cleric it is.

Let's see, how about create water, detect magic, detect poison, guidance, purify food and drink, resistance for the orisons?

freyar

Sure, those will work.
1st level --- divine favor, entropic shield, magic weapon, obscuring mist, summon monster I ?

Cleon

Legend
Sure, those will work.

1st level --- divine favor, entropic shield, magic weapon, obscuring mist, summon monster I ?

Not sure he'd bother with magic weapon with all those spells to choose from. Besides, divine favor gives him three times the bonus for the same spell level and it seems unlikely he'll have 2 rounds to waste to cast both and stack them for a +4 instead of a +3 when he has so many other options.

The Worm Lord seems the type to use bane or doom, and values his skin enough to prepare shield of faith, so I'd swap magic weapon for whichever of those three you prefer.

Remove ads