• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting monsters from the second edition Monstrous Compendiums

Status
Not open for further replies.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Shade said:
About the only other thing I'd change is to drop stability.

Right, I forgot about that. I also think we might want to drop the weapon familiarity, since these guys are supposed to be pretty peaceful (and there's no mention of exotic weaponry).

Shade

Monster Junkie
freyar said:
Right, I forgot about that. I also think we might want to drop the weapon familiarity, since these guys are supposed to be pretty peaceful (and there's no mention of exotic weaponry).

Good point.

Shade

Monster Junkie
freyar said:
Looking pretty good. Does it need anything besides flavor and tactics?

Added that now. I think all that's lacking is weight. A centaur is about 7 feet tall and weighs about 2,100 pounds. A dorvesh is only 5 feet tall, and donkeys weigh considerably less than horses. Any ideas?

freyar

Do you just want to scale it down to 1500lb? Or make it a little heavier because dwarves are stocky? I'd just say go with 1500 because it's easy, though.

Shade

Monster Junkie
1,500 sounds fine.

We should change the feats and skills, as they're just copied directly from the centaur.

Skills: Listen +3, Move Silently +4, Spot +3, Survival +2
Feats: Dodge, Weapon Focus (hoof)

Dwarves have...

Skills: Appraise +2, Craft (blacksmithing) +2, Craft (stonemasonry) +2, Listen +2, Spot +2
Feats: Weapon Focus (dwarven waraxe)

Maybe...

Skills: Appraise 1, Craft (blacksmithing) 2, Listen 1, Profession (miner) 2, Spot 1
Feats: Great Fortitude, Weapon Focus (longsword)

freyar

I like that. Do you think Prof(mining) goes along as well with stonecutting as Craft (stonemasonry) does?

Shade

Monster Junkie
freyar said:
I like that. Do you think Prof(mining) goes along as well with stonecutting as Craft (stonemasonry) does?

Probably not, although the text really focused on mining and crafting metal over dealing with stone. We could always do one rank in each.

freyar

I think mining works well enough. You need to understand a lot about how stone and earth works to keep the mine stable...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads