Converting monsters from the second edition Monstrous Compendiums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
i'd say no. that 1d4 damage only comes into play when a tentacle is forcibly removed. isn' there a precedent for such a thing?

None that I'm aware of short of the harpoon (deals damage equal to the initial damage the harpoon caused).

The reason I'd advocate the tentacle damage each round is that the dharculus already does significantly less damage with its tentacles than a Huge creature (1d4 is normal tentacle damage for Medium creatures). Most creatures with tentacles either do continuous damage while grappling or have the constrict ability. The wyste, a "similar" creature originally from the Far Realms, continues to do tentacle damage while drawing the victim to its mouth for the bite attack.

Just my 2 coppers. ;)

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
hmm... allright, but if we do it that way it shouldn't be more than 1d4 damage per round.

the Jester

Legend
Lookin' good so far!

I'd keep the 1d4 damage upon removing the tentacle and get rid of the 20%/plus thing- very, very clunky! :)

For the ethereal snare, I'd say a Will save (DC 15 if cha-based or 24 if str-based). Whatcha think?

Shade

Monster Junkie
the Jester said:
For the ethereal snare, I'd say a Will save (DC 15 if cha-based or 24 if str-based). Whatcha think?

I agree with the Will save and would go with Cha-based, since this is similar to forcing a plane shift upon a target, not using physical strength to pull them through.

the Jester

Legend
Shade said:
I agree with the Will save and would go with Cha-based, since this is similar to forcing a plane shift upon a target, not using physical strength to pull them through.

Keeping in mind that this is how it gets its food, I'd say we should boost its Cha to around 16 then.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Some thoughts after reviewing it in Homebrews...

SA: Ethereal snare, improved grab

Suggested Skills: Escape Artist 13, Hide 13, Knowledge (the planes) 13, Listen 13, Move Silently 13, Search 13, Spot 13, Survival 13, Swim 13

Suggested Feats: Ability Focus (ethereal snare), Improved Critical (tentacle), Improved Initiative, Weapon Focus (tentacle)

It should probably require a Climb check rather than Use Rope to pull oneself back to the Material Plane. Of course, the synergy bonus (if you have 5 or more ranks in Use Rope, you get a +2 bonus on Climb checks made to climb a rope) will come in handy. Perhaps DC 20? (15 for climbing an unknotted rope, +5 for it being slippery).

Add:

All-Around Vision (Ex): A dharculus can see in all directions at once. Because of this, it has a +4 racial bonus on Search and Spot checks, and it cannot be flanked.

Finally, we need to figure out how to do word its ability to send its tentacle into the Material Plane. Etheral jaunt would bring the whole creature, and manifestation would imply that the tentacles are ethereal. I am almost certain there is a precedence for this, but haven't found the creature that has it yet.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Shade said:
Finally, we need to figure out how to do word its ability to send its tentacle into the Material Plane. Etheral jaunt would bring the whole creature, and manifestation would imply that the tentacles are ethereal. I am almost certain there is a precedence for this, but haven't found the creature that has it yet.

yep, and that is a tricky one indeed! i'd say we have just about everything else figured out... i think it might ethereal jaunt from the far realm into the ethereal plane, but thus far we have no evidence that it can jaunt into the material plane. anyone got a clue? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads