Converting monsters from the second edition Monstrous Compendiums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I just remembered a place I saw something similar...your very own lock lurker conversion! :D

Here's what you gave it:

Partial Etherealness (Su): The stinger of the lock lurker exists wholly on the Ethereal plane. It can be materialized on the Material plane as a free action once per round, and returns to the Ethereal at the end of that round. Only creatures on the Material plane can attack the stinger, and only after the lock lurker has used a sting attack in a particular round. If the lock lurker is encountered on the Ethereal Plane, the entire creature will be visible and can be attacked. The stinger can always attack creatures on the Ethereal plane no matter where the lock lurker is.

Venom and food eaten are held in expandable body sacs on the Ethereal plane and brought to the Material plane as needed, in the same manner as the stinger.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
(speaking of lock lurker, guess what's next in the overhaul thread). ;) weird... i was thinking of the lock lurker as having a similar aspect...

guess all we have to do is modify that a bit for the dharcy's anatomy. :)

Psychotic Jim

First Post
If it helps at all, I did a conversion of the dharculus for 3.0E
Dharculus
Huge Outsider (Chaotic)
Hit Dice: 10d8+50 (95 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: Fly 20 ft (Average), Swim 20 ft
AC: 20 (-2 size, +10 natural)
Attacks: 6 tentacle rakes +18 melee, bite +13 melee
Damage: Tentacle rakes 1d6+10, Bite 2d8+5
Face/Reach: 10 ft by 20 ft/10 ft (15 feet with tentacles)
Special Attacks: Tentacle Attachment, Improved Grab
Special Qualities: Partial ethereal jaunt, immunities
Saves: Fort +12, Ref +7, Will +8
Abilities: Str 31, Dex 10, Con 21, Int 11, Wis 12, Cha 10
Skills: Escape Artist +13, Hide +2, Intuit Direction +14, Listen +14, Move Silently +10, Search +13, Spot +14
Feats: Alertness, Flyby Attack
Climate/Terrain: Any land, aquatic or underground (With exposure to the Far Realms)
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 9
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Chaotic Neutral
Advancement: 11-16 HD (Huge), 17-30 HD (Gargantuan)
Dharculi are strange dwellers of the Ethereal Plane that are thought to have originated from the Far Realm. When viewed on the Ethereal Plane, a dharculus as a cylindrical beast with a mass of tentacles, 5 with mouths filled with razor sharp teeth and 5 with leering eyes, on one end and a huge cavernous maw on the other end. A dharculus can extend its tentacles into the Material Plane to catch prey and drag them into the Ethereal Plane, thus a victim is unlikely to see the whole beast until it is too late.
Combat
A dharculus never fully manifests into the Material Plane. It sneaks up on potential victims and manifests its tentacles and tries to grab a tasty morsel and drag it into the Ethereal Plane, where the dharculus can use its bite attack against the opponent.
Tentacle Attachment (Ex): A tentacle that hits a foe automatically attaches to the opponent. Tentacles can be removed with a successful grapple check from the defender or a third party, or a tentacle can be cut off by dealing 8 points of damage to the tentacle with the final blow with a slashing weapon.
Improved Grab: To use this ability, a dharculus must attach three tentacles to an opponent of up to Large size. If it gets a hold, it can use its Partial Ethereal Jaunt ability to drag its opponent into the Ethereal Plane.
Partial Ethereal Jaunt (Su): The main body of the Dharculus is always on the Ethereal Plane. A dharculus can shift any and all of its tentacles into the Material Plane as a free action, and shift them back again as a move equivalent action, bringing along any opponent caught in its Improved Grab attack. If a foe is brought into the Ethereal Plane, he or she has four rounds to “climb” the tentacles back into the Material Plane (with a successful grapple check after breaking out of the dharculus’ pin). This ability is otherwise identical with ethereal jaunt cast by a 15th level sorcerer.
Immunites (Ex): Immunity to all mind-influencing effects (including charms, compulsions, phantasms, and morale effects.).

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'd say we've just about go it.

CR 9 seems appropriate.

How about 3 tentacles lost causes it to withdraw?

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
sounds good, looks like we're done here.

no LA? and i forgot the bonuses from all-around vision. ;)

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
sounds good, looks like we're done here.

no LA? and i forgot the bonuses from all-around vision. ;)

LA is not my strong suit. I can't imagine anyone playing one of these things anyway, but you never know. ;)

Good catch on the all-around vision bonuses.

Krishnath

First Post
LA should be around +10 as it is boosted somewhat by the Partial ethereal jaunt ability and it's high number of attacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads