• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Oriental Adventures creatures

Cleon

Legend
They can be denser than the fire elementals, but they're also smaller at a given size, and weight scales as the cube of the linear size. Maybe a sphere of given diameter is bigger than a humanoid of given height, but still. So I'd make them 1/3 lb, 1.5 lb, and 3 lb.

Geometry is against you, I fear.

A spherical shape has the highest volume for a given surface area, so it could hardly avoid being heavier.

Let's see, a 175 pound human is roughly 3 cubic feet (since we're a little less dense than water). Turn that into a sphere and it'd be just a tad over 21 inches in diameter.

The Medium-sized Fire Elemental is 8 foot, so it's about 2.4 times the volume of a 6-footer (assuming they're man-shaped, of course).

A 5' diameter Flame Spirit has 2.8 times the diameter of a 21-inch "spheroid human", so would be 21.8 times the volume, or about 9 times the volume of a humanoid.

Assuming they're the same density at Medium and the Flame Spirits have 2'/5'/10' diameters that works out to weights of 1 lb / 18 lb / 72 lbs.

Add ice, but I don't think it should take damage. It just can't cross. I also like the idea that crossing flammable liquids causes them to combust.
Well they'd obviously combust from their Burn SA.

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
What kind of tactics do they like? Shurikens, then eyebeams, closing to melee rapidly?

Well their ranged attacks are pretty good, so they could try to keep at a distance until they use up their Shuriken.

Also, being slower than Fire Elementals I'd think "trying to close to melee" would be more apposite than "rapidly".

Cleon

Legend
Works for me!

Updated. Finished?

Not quite, there's a stray question mark and pyrotechnics is missing its DCs.

Fiery Eyes (Su): As a standard action, a flame spirit can shoot two rays of fire (one from each eye). Each ray has a range of 200 ft.? and does 1d4 fire damage for least flame spirits, 1d6 fire damage for lesser flame spirits and 1d8 fire damage for greater flame spirits.

Spell-Like Abilities (Lesser): At will—produce flame; 1/day—pyrotechnics (DC x). Caster level 4th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Spell-Like Abilities (Greater): At will—produce flame; 3/day—pyrotechnics (DC x); 1/day—fire shield (warm only). Caster level 8th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

The pyrotechnics should be DC12 (level 2, Charisma 11).

Should we give the Greater Spirit a higher Charisma (say, Cha 13?) than the lesser, so its pyrotechnics DC is higher?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Should we give the Greater Spirit a higher Charisma (say, Cha 13?) than the lesser, so its pyrotechnics DC is higher?

Good idea. Updated.

This next one is somewhat similar...

Small Stone Spirit
CLIMATE/TERRAIN: Any
FREQUENCY: Rare
ORGANIZATION: Group
ACTIVE TIME: Any
DIET: Special
INTELLIGENCE: Average (8-10)
TREASURE: Q
ALIGNMENT: Neutral evil
NO. APPEARING: 1-8
ARMOR CLASS: 5
MOVEMENT: 12
HIT DICE: 2
THAC0: 19
NO. OF ATTACKS: 1
DAMAGE/ATTACK: 1-8
SPECIAL ATTACKS: See below
SPECIAL DEFENSES: See below
MAGIC RESISTANCE: Nil
SIZE: S (3’ tall)
MORALE: Steady (11)
XP VALUE: 65

Medium Stone Spirit
FREQUENCY: Very rare
ORGANIZATION: Group
TREASURE: Q
NO. APPEARING: 1-4
ARMOR CLASS: 3
MOVEMENT: 6
HIT DICE: 4
THAC0: 17
DAMAGE/ATTACK: 2-16
SIZE: M (5’-6’ tall)
XP VALUE: 175

Large Stone Spirit
FREQUENCY: Very rare
ORGANIZATION: Solitary
TREASURE: R
NO. APPEARING: 1
ARMOR CLASS: 1
MOVEMENT: 6
HIT DICE: 6
THAC0: 15
DAMAGE/ATTACK: 3-24
SIZE: L (9’ tall)
XP VALUE: 975

Stone spirits are lesser spirits of evil alignment who inhabit stone statues. They can animate their statues at will.

The spirits themselves have no physical substance; in effect, the statues they inhabit serve as their bodies. Stone spirits can inhabit any type of statue that represents a creature or person. The statue can be made of any type of stone, but they most commonly are marble, granite, sandstone, or limestone.

Of the three types of stone spirits, small stone spirits are most frequently encountered. Their most common shapes include frogs, birds, bats, small dogs and cats, and miniature humans. The amount of detail in the statue has no bearing on the stone spirit’s abilities. For instance, a stone spirit can still see even if its statue has no eyes. However, the spirit cannot move unless the statue has legs or some other means of locomotion. If the statue has wings (about 30% of the time), the stone spirit can fly at a movement rate of 3 (with maneuverability class E). Only small stone spirits can fly.

All stone spirits can understand the languages common to the areas they inhabit, as well as the language of the type of creature represented by their statues. However, only 10% of stone spirits actually can speak, and even they seldom do.

Combat: Stone spirits serve as guardians and protectors of specific buildings, landmarks, or rooms, a duty they take quite seriously. Stone spirits may attack all trespassers, or they may only attack certain characters, such as those of a particular race, sex, or alignment. In any case, stone spirits defend their territories to the death.

All stone spirits attack by using their bodies as ramming weapons, dropping from above or bouncing across the floor to slam into their opponents. If a stone spirit is slain, the statue it inhabits is immediately reduced to dust.

All spells affect stone spirits, but earth-related spells are particularly troublesome. As the target of earth-related spells, stone spirits save with a -2 penalty; they also suffer +2 hit points per die of damage inflicted by these spells. The elemental burst spell heals stone spirits by 1-10 hit points.

Habitat/Society: A stone spirit may occupy any type of statue, but once it inhabits a particular statue, it never leaves. Some stone spirits answer the petitions of evil wu jen and shukenja to occupy specific statues, while others are drawn to especially ornate statues. A favorite location of small stone spirits are ornamental walls made of marble or other types of precious stones. These walls may be inside or outside of a building, but they are always beautifully carved with images of monsters and sorcerers in a long procession. Several small statues of bats, dogs, and cats sit atop such walls. If a pack of stone spirits takes a fancy to the artwork, they may occupy these statues.

Ecology: All stone spirits consume gems and coins. Generally, these treasure items are not digested, instead remaining inside the statue. If the stone spirit is destroyed, its treasure may be found amid the dust of its crumbled statue.

The dust of a small stone spirit’s statue serves as a component for long-lasting cosmetics used by the concubines of royalty.

Medium Stone Spirits
Medium stone spirits are larger, slower, and more dangerous versions of small stone spirits. They most commonly inhabit statues of great cats, small horses, and boars, but are sometimes encountered as statues of servants, jugglers, and dancers. Medium stone spirits are often used to guard crypts and treasure caches. The dust of a medium stone spirit’s statue serves as a base for a toothpowder that permanently prevents toothaches.

Large Stone Spirits
These are the most dangerous type of stone spirits. They inhabit statues of dragons, oni, and giant horses, but they most commonly inhabit statues of immense, faceless samurai. They are used to guard evil temples and monuments, and often are found guarding mountain passes. The dust of a large stone spirit’s statue can serve as a component for a potion of invulnerability.

Originally appeared in Monstrous Compendium Kara-Tur Appendix (1990).

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
I hate to threadcrap, but I am so glad that my Kaidan: a Japanese Ghost Story setting is finally in the process of final development, with an expected release date in March 2011.

I am half-Japanese and while I played AD&D Oriental Adventures, and 3.5 Oriental Adventures - all the legacy Gygaxian stuff that was just plain wrong, especially Wujen is out the window in my project. The research avaiable in the 80's done by Gygax, just isn't the same as it is today. The fact the Onmyoji and Jugondo both existed as magical casters in historical Japan, and the fact that neither of these were used when OA was created or updated, means to me that Wujen and most of what consisted of Oriental Adventures is not worth the pot to pee in.

So I am reinventing it all from scratch, and basing it on actual Japanese conventions and not poorly done legacy works.

I am not making OA again, I am making a Japanese horror setting based on actual Japanese history, mythology, religion, folklore and ghost stories - so my product will be much closer to true Japanese ideas, than D&D pseudo oriental ideas (which are mostly wrong...)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads