• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Planescape monsters

Cleon

Legend
Given that they can give themselves a pretty sizable racial bonus using Malleable Form, I'd be against any "static" racial bonuses on those skills. Using Dex or Str and taking 10 all the time is ok, though, if you want to keep that.

Good point!

So are you fine with:

Balance 7, Climb 7, Escape Artist 11, Hide 11, Intimidate 11, Jump 8, Listen 11, Move Silently 11, Search 11, Sense Motive 11, Spot 11, Tumble 11

Skills: Buseni can use either their Dexterity or Strength on Climb and Jump checks, and can always choose to take 10 on Climb and Jump checks, even if rushed or threatened.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I am indeed fine with that. Updated. I also reduced the Sense Motive racial bonus. Diplomacy picked up a couple bonus points via synergies. I used the slightly higher Dex modifier for both Climb and Jump.

You know, the Jump bonus is so high, we might think about pilfering a couple ranks off for Balance and Climb. That 50 ft speed makes a big difference.

Anyway, feats? Alertness seems appropriate. Maybe Dodge (haven't used that in a while) and Power Attack?

Cleon

Legend
I am indeed fine with that. Updated. I also reduced the Sense Motive racial bonus. Diplomacy picked up a couple bonus points via synergies. I used the slightly higher Dex modifier for both Climb and Jump.

You know, the Jump bonus is so high, we might think about pilfering a couple ranks off for Balance and Climb. That 50 ft speed makes a big difference.

It's only got a +23, that isn't that high. ;)

I would have no objection to maxing out Climb and adding a point to Balance, making it Balance +15, Climb +16, Jump +18.

Anyway, feats? Alertness seems appropriate. Maybe Dodge (haven't used that in a while) and Power Attack?

That's 'cause Dodge is useless unless it needs it as a prerequisite.

Alertness is OK, I suppose, although I'm sorely temptedto make it a bonus feat.

Combat Reflexes or Combat Expertise would seem to make more sense.

Maybe Improved Sunder to go with that Power Attack?

We've only got three to work with, so we need to make 'em count.

Cleon

Legend
Hmmmm. Combat Reflexes, Improved Sunder, Power Attack? It can always use Malleable Form to get a Listen or Spot bonus.

Those feats are fine by me.

Looks like that just leaves Challenge Rating and Advancement.

They are pretty tough opponents, especially with their Whirling Frenzy, so I'd eyeball them as being around CR 6 or 7. Shall we err on the conservative side and go for 6?

freyar

Tough call. They're not much better than a babau (CR 6) and are slightly worse than the hellcat (CR 7) except for the frenzy. That's pretty nasty, but, if opponents survive it, the busen is really vulnerable. The shadow blend is also fairly comparable to the hellcat's "invisible in light" ability. On the other hand, the ability to get better crit multipliers, etc, is quite nice. I think I'd go for CR 7. What do you think?

Cleon

Legend
Tough call. They're not much better than a babau (CR 6) and are slightly worse than the hellcat (CR 7) except for the frenzy. That's pretty nasty, but, if opponents survive it, the busen is really vulnerable. The shadow blend is also fairly comparable to the hellcat's "invisible in light" ability. On the other hand, the ability to get better crit multipliers, etc, is quite nice. I think I'd go for CR 7. What do you think?

I was undecided on which to go for.

Challenge Rating 7 seems as appropriate as 6, so put that in if you prefer it.

freyar

Let's also figure out advancement: 9-16 HD (Medium), 17-24 HD (Large) along the lines of barbed and bearded devils (as roughly similar HD outsiders)?

freyar

Before I update, any ideas about the weight?

Actually, didn't we decide that the alignment should be "always lawful, often good" rather than "often neutral"?

Tactics: A busen will never attack without warning, instead always challenging potential opponents and providing them an opportunity to explain themselves. The busen the proceeds to a more thorough questioning and examination; those deemed satisfactory are allowed to proceed. However, any creature that attacks a busen or demonstrates clearly evil tendencies is met with force.

In combat, a busen uses its malleable form to adjust tactics as necessary, changing weapons as needed to affect any given opponent, although an individual busen may have a favored form for its weaponlike protrusions It will resort to its whirling frenzy only when both the busen and its opponents are all sorely wounded.

Remove ads