• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Planescape monsters

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I like vigil! Updated and finished.

If you'd like to continue this thread, the major and minor incarnates are next in the list. I also noticed in Echohawk's index that there are a lot of other incarnates in Dragon 193. Those don't seem to be converted, but they're not in the "Unconverted Dragon Magazine critters" thread. Anyone know about that?

Cleon

Legend
I hesitate to ask this, but what happened to the Quasielementals?

I wanted to compare the Living Ash's original monster (the "Ash Elemental") to the Ash Quasielemental and the only 3E Quasielementals stats I could find is the 3.0 Lightning Quasielemental in the Creature Catalog.

Echohawk's index says the Quasielementals had unofficial 3E stats in the Planewalker website, but those seem to have disappeared.

The Paraelementals have official 3E stats, but where are the Quasis?

Should we convert them?

freyar

If you mean things like the ash child, I think the conversions are still available on planewalker, but they seem to have rearranged their web site. At least some of them are still there, although perhaps not all. If they've really removed them, we should certainly (re-)convert them. (Interestingly, I did see one of the incarnates while poking around.) Anyway, take your pick.

Cleon

Legend
If you mean things like the ash child, I think the conversions are still available on planewalker, but they seem to have rearranged their web site. At least some of them are still there, although perhaps not all. If they've really removed them, we should certainly (re-)convert them. (Interestingly, I did see one of the incarnates while poking around.) Anyway, take your pick.

As best as I can make out the Ash Child you referred to is a new monster. It's certainly not the Quasielementals I refer to.

I mean the Negative (Ash, Dust, Salt, Vacuum) and Positive (Lightning, Mineral, Radiance, Steam) Quasielementals that debuted in Dragon 125 (Negative) and Dragon 128 (Positive).

They reappeared later in Planescape Monstrous Compendium III.

I've tried searching Planewalker multiple times and can't find the 3E conversions referred to in Echohawk's Index. The Quasielemental page in the Encyclopedia is the most info I could find on their website. Most of the links go to "Page Not Found. Planewalker.com's got a page for the Quasielemental Plane of Ash with a link to "Quasielementals", but it goes to an "Access Denied" page.

The only conversion I could find was a 3.0 Lightning Quasielemental in the Enworld CC.

I think we need to convert them.

EDIT: I've just found an old 3.0 conversion of the Ash Quasielemental in the Enworld Homebrews forum. It looks like this "Devon" probably converted some others, so I might have a look for those too.

Cleon

Legend
Okay, this fellow Devon posted some 3.0 homebrews on Enworld back in 2002 for all the Quasielementals:

Negative Quasielementals - Ash, Dust, Salt, Vacuum
Positive Quasielementals - Lightning, Mineral, Radiance, Steam

These are the only 3E versions I could find, although I'm not that keen on some aspects of them. I'd much rather we converted our versions from scratch.

Still, it gives us something to steal borrow ideas from if we get stuck.

Cleon

Legend
By the way, why did we give the Small and Medium versions of the Living Ash 2 small attacks? Standard Elementals only have 1 slam attack at those sizes.

Was it deliberate or a mistake? I just can't remember.

Oh well, we can't currently edit the Full Attack line of 3.5 Creatures, so it'd be awkward to change it. I'm make a note of it in my "minor problems I might fix if Darjr get the 3.5 Creature editor working" file.

freyar

Get some quasielemental stats in this thread, then. ;)

I don't want to change the living ash, actually. The CR is I think still ok for the Small and Medium versions, and they don't have to be exact clones of the elementals. Plus I'm a bit reluctant to change conversions we did with Shade. Anyway, as to deliberate or mistaken, I went through the thread and didn't find a discussion of it: you input the Small and Medium versions based off a Large version Shade had. So you'll have to tell us. ;)

Cleon

Legend
Get some quasielemental stats in this thread, then. ;)

I don't want to change the living ash, actually. The CR is I think still ok for the Small and Medium versions, and they don't have to be exact clones of the elementals. Plus I'm a bit reluctant to change conversions we did with Shade. Anyway, as to deliberate or mistaken, I went through the thread and didn't find a discussion of it: you input the Small and Medium versions based off a Large version Shade had. So you'll have to tell us. ;)

I said I couldn't remember and I meant it! :blush:

Anyhow, I'm fine leaving the smaller models with 2 slams. It helps make them distinct from the Ash Elemental we're about to convert.

Remove ads