• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Planescape monsters

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Just noticed a line in the Planescape Appendix version that "quasielementals simply aren’t as powerful as elementals or paraelementals." Should we tone down the cold damage on the slams a step in that case?

Cleon

Legend
Just noticed a line in the Planescape Appendix version that "quasielementals simply aren’t as powerful as elementals or paraelementals." Should we tone down the cold damage on the slams a step in that case?

I'd rather not do that since their damage worked out pretty much the same.

The "less powerful" could well refer to them having 75% of the Hit Dice of an equivalently sized regular Elemental.

Cleon

Legend
I am if you are.

How about this:

Feats
Small: Power Attack
Medium: Cleave, Power Attack
Large: Cleave, Combat Reflexes, Power Attack
Huge: Alertness, Cleave, Combat Reflexes, Iron Will, Power Attack
Greater: Alertness, Cleave, Combat Reflexes, Lightning Reflexes, Iron Will, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (slam)
Elder: Alertness, Cleave, Combat Reflexes, Great Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (slam)
Monolith: Alertness, Awesome Blow, Cleave, Combat Reflexes, Great Cleave, Improved Initiative, Improved Natural Attack (slam), Improved Bull Rush, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Power Attack, Snatch, Weapon Focus (slam)

Skills
Small: Listen +2, Spot +2
Medium: Listen +3, Spot +3
Large: Listen +4, Spot +5
Huge: Listen +9, Spot +10
Greater: Listen +12, Spot +13
Elder: Listen +15, Spot +16
Monolith: Listen +23, Spot +24

Oryan77

Adventurer
Hey guys, I hope it isn't annoying to put a request in for conversions. I'm preparing to run the Tales from the Infinite Staircase adventure and there are a few monsters in it that I have not found 3.5 conversions for yet. Any chance you guys could work on some of these? This is the order that they appear in the adventure:

Shard pg. 15
Silver Golem pg. 15
Valgoss pg. 48
Slaiyith pg. 48
Taker of Life pg. 49
Dark Dweller pg. 50
Kamerel pg. 110
Maturing Baatorian pg. 127

Cleon

Legend
Hey guys, I hope it isn't annoying to put a request in for conversions. I'm preparing to run the Tales from the Infinite Staircase adventure and there are a few monsters in it that I have not found 3.5 conversions for yet. Any chance you guys could work on some of these? This is the order that they appear in the adventure:

Shard pg. 15
Silver Golem pg. 15
Valgoss pg. 48
Slaiyith pg. 48
Taker of Life pg. 49
Dark Dweller pg. 50
Kamerel pg. 110
Maturing Baatorian pg. 127

Well I don't know about anyone else, but I don't mind you proposing some conversions, although the What Conversions Shall We Do Next? or Current Conversion Requests threads are a better place to do so.

There are some interesting beasties in that list, but I suspect it'd be a long while before we'd get around to them. This Planescape thread is going to be tied up with the Quasi-Elementals, and I don't think those creatures really belong in any of the other regular threads.

I suppose we could start a "Converting Infinite Staircase monsters" thread, but we'd have to finish a few of the current conversions first and things are going very slowly at the moment.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
OK, the skills and feats for the ash quasis look acceptable to me. You know, I guess we should figure out the speed for these. Without knowing what the normal elemental movement rates were in 1e or 2e (why do all the conversion guides say 1e and 2e movements were in feet?), I'd say that these look relatively fast. Shall we use the fire elemental speeds?

PS. My fault things are so slow. Busy work, moving house, etc, etc. Makes it difficult with only two of us around, too.

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
OK, the skills and feats for the ash quasis look acceptable to me.

Updating the Ash Quasi-Elemental Working Draft.

You know, I guess we should figure out the speed for these. Without knowing what the normal elemental movement rates were in 1e or 2e (why do all the conversion guides say 1e and 2e movements were in feet?), I'd say that these look relatively fast. Shall we use the fire elemental speeds?

The AD&D elementals Movement stats are:

Air: Fl 36 (A)
Earth: 6
Fire: 12
Water: 6, Sw 18
From the 2nd edition AD&D Monstrous Compendium (1989) and Monstrous Manual (1993)

The Ash Quasi-Elemental has "Movement: 12", the same as the AD&D2E Fire Elemental, so it would seem fitting to give our conversion the same speeds as the 3E Fire Elemental.

(why do all the conversion guides say 1e and 2e movements were in feet?)

The AD&D Move rating are based on units of 10 feet or 10 yards, same as the missile weapon ranges.

PS. My fault things are so slow. Busy work, moving house, etc, etc. Makes it difficult with only two of us around, too.

That's OK. I'm wondering whether I should see if Oryan fancies working on a separate thread for the Tales of the Infinite Staircase conversion request, so I have something to do while you're busy.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads