• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Planescape monsters

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
The dust storm is good so far, though I don't think I understand the Height and Weight columns in the table. What are they for? I do agree with allowing saves. Fort save is ok, including to negate (rather than for half).

Just saw something in the original monster: Engulf only happens on an attack roll of 19 or 20. How about we trigger the engulf only on a crit?

Cleon

Legend
The dust storm is good so far, though I don't think I understand the Height and Weight columns in the table. What are they for? I do agree with allowing saves. Fort save is ok, including to negate (rather than for half).

They're for the height and weight of the elemental itself. All the SRD 'X Elemental Sizes' have them.

Come to think of it, did we remember to give heights and weights for the Ash Quasi-Elemental?

Oh I yes, we quoted "same height and weight as a water elemental of the same size" for the Ash Quasi.

We could do the same for the Dust one too, I suppose, but I fancy tweaking the weight upwards. These are ex-earth elementals, after all, so ought to be at least a bit heavier than the other Negative Quasis. For that matter, I'm rather the Ash Quasi be lighter than a Water Elemental.

Hmm... that sounds like I want the "same height and weight as a water elemental of the same size" for the Dust Quasi and have a height & weight table for the Ash.

Just saw something in the original monster: Engulf only happens on an attack roll of 19 or 20. How about we trigger the engulf only on a crit?

I thought we'd already considered that and decided on standard Grab & Engulf.

We've seen other "grab on a 20" type monsters converted as Improved Grab, although I can't recall what their names were off the top of my head.

freyar

Oh, you're right, we should have height and weight in tables for all of them. We can let the Ash be a little lighter than Water and Dust the same as Water. But we should separate the table from Whirlwind a bit to remind the reader (like me :blush:) that height and weight have to do with the normal form. Let's also put "Whirlwind" above Blindness, Damage, and Diameter.

Blindness lasts for 1d4 rounds?

I think you're right about the Engulf, let's leave it as is.

Cleon

Legend
Oh, you're right, we should have height and weight in tables for all of them. We can let the Ash be a little lighter than Water and Dust the same as Water. But we should separate the table from Whirlwind a bit to remind the reader (like me :blush:) that height and weight have to do with the normal form. Let's also put "Whirlwind" above Blindness, Damage, and Diameter.

I don't mind taking the height and weight columns out and leaving it to the description, I'd just like to be consistent.

Besides, if we did put Height and Weight columns in the Ash Quasi, which of the three tables would we add them too?

Using "An ash elemental has the same height and weight as a water elemental of the same size" has the benefit of simplicity.

We could cut the height and weight columns from the Dust Quasi and put, say, "a dust quasi-elemental has the same height as a fire elemental of the same size but weighs 20 times as much." to put its weight between a Fire Elemental and a Water Elemental.

e.g.:

ElementalHeightWater
Ratio?Dust?RatioFire
Small4 ft.34 lb.1.7
20 lb.201 lb.
Medium8 ft.280 lb.7
40 lb202 lb.
Large16 ft.2,250 lb.28.125
80 lb204 lb.
Huge32 ft.18,000 lb.112.5
160 lb208 lb.
Greater36 ft.21,000 lb.105
200 lb2010 lb.
Elder40 ft.24,000 lb.100
240 lb2012 lb.
Monolith? ft.? lb.
?
? lb.?? lb.
Hmm, that could work. It does make the Dust Quasi proportionally lighter and lighter as it gets given.

Maybe making it "a dust quasi-elemental has the same height as a water elemental of the same size but weighs one tenth as much" would work better? It should give it a more even relationship to an Earth Elemental's weight at least.

Let's see:

ElementalHeightWater
Ratio?Dust?RatioEarth
Fire
Small4 ft.34 lb.10
3.4 lb.23.5380 lb.1 lb.
Medium8 ft.280 lb.10
28 lb26.76750 lb.2 lb.
Large16 ft.2,250 lb.10
225 lb26.676,000 lb.4 lb.
Huge32 ft.18,000 lb.10
1,800 lb26.6748,000 lb.8 lb.
Greater36 ft.21,000 lb.10
2,100 lb25.7154,000 lb.10 lb.
Elder40 ft.24,000 lb.10
2,400 lb2560,000 lb.12 lb.
Monolith? ft.? lb.
?
? lb.?? lb.
? lb.
Yes, I like the 1/10th the weight of water approach better.

Blindness lasts for 1d4 rounds?

The original lasted 1d10 rounds, which is considerable more. We could scale it so the duration dice depends on the size?

e.g.

Small - d4 rounds
Medium - d6 rounds
Large - d8 rounds
Huge - d10 rounds
Gargantuan - d12 rounds

I think you're right about the Engulf, let's leave it as is.

Agreed. I shall now demonstrate my superbly honed talents at doing nothing to something...

...were you impressed?

freyar

I'm impressed! ;)

In any case, your proposed solution for height and weight is fine. I'm also happy with the duration for blindness. Are we then done with the dust storm?

Cleon

Legend
I'm impressed! ;)

You should be, it took years of inactivity to perfect those skills at doing nothing. :p

In any case, your proposed solution for height and weight is fine. I'm also happy with the duration for blindness. Are we then done with the dust storm?

Maybe.

I'll update the Dust Quasi-Elemental Working Draft and see what it looks like...

...it looks fine now.

I needed to tweak the sentence with the "blinded for X rounds" and redid the table to remove the Height and Weight.

freyar

Agreed, this looks good. Are we done with the SAs and SQs?

We were going to use the base slam damage from the Earth elemental. Are you still in agreement?

Cleon

Legend
Agreed, this looks good. Are we done with the SAs and SQs?

Well the current draft seems to cover everything in the original monster, so I guess we're OK.

We were going to use the base slam damage from the Earth elemental. Are you still in agreement?

The original did the same damage as an Ash Quasi, so we'd better do a side-by-side to see how they match up:

e.g.:

ElementalAsh
AverageDustAverage
Small1d3+1+1d4 cold5.5
1d6+14.5
Medium1d4+3+1d6 cold9
1d8+37.5
Large1d10+4 plus 2d6 cold16.5
2d8+413
Huge2d6+6 plus 2d8 cold22
2d10+516
Greater2d6+7 plus 2d8 cold23
2d10+617
Elder2d6+8 plus 2d8 cold24
2d10+718
Monolith*3d6+13 plus 4d6 cold
4d6+13 plus 4d6 cold
37.5*
4d8+12
6d8+12
30*
*Top row is the damage without Improved Natural Attack (slam), which Monoliths tend to get as standard.

Hmm, using the Earth/Water slam damage doesn't make a very good match if we want the Ash and Dust's slam damage to be the same like the original versions (or as close as we get get in the 3E ruleset).

We'd either need to greatly increase the damage dice, give it a higher strength, or do something inbetween.

For example, if we increase the Strength to match a Water Elemental's and tweak the damage dice so the averages are pretty close to the Dust Quasi, it could be something like:

ElementalTarget AverageDustStrengthAverage
Small5.51d6+3146.5
Medium91d8+4168.5
Large16.53d6+52015.5
Huge224d6+72421
Greater234d6+82622
Elder244d6+92823
Monolith*37.5*
4d8+14
6d8+14
3832*
*Top row is the damage without Improved Natural Attack (slam), which Monoliths tend to get as standard.

Monkeying around with the Strength would require a good deal or recalculating of the stats though. Increasing the damage dice is simpler, but I'm not sure I'm fond of that solution, since it'd require some rather unusual dice combinations for a good match:

e.g.:

ElementalTarget AverageDustAverage
Small5.5
1d8+15.5
Medium9
1d10+38.5
Large16.5
2d10+415
Huge22
3d10+521.5
Greater23
3d10+622.5
Elder24
3d10+723.5
Monolith*37.5*
6d6+12
8d6+12
33*

freyar

Here's what I said in post 1326:
Well, we took a few liberties with the Ash's slam, which was originally a cold-damage-only touch attack, at least the way I read some of the text, so I don't feel like we need the slam damage needs to be quite the same. I'd go with base slam damage like Earth or Water; the CR will probably work out the same as the Ash quasi since the disintegrating engulf seems fairly strong. And yes, it's time to look at that dust storm.

I'd rather keep the slam damage lower than Ash since, like I said, we played around a bit with the Ash's attack compared to the original monster AND the engulf is nasty enough to make up for a few points of extra slam damage. So I prefer your first table.

Cleon

Legend
Here's what I said in post 1326:

I'd rather keep the slam damage lower than Ash since, like I said, we played around a bit with the Ash's attack compared to the original monster AND the engulf is nasty enough to make up for a few points of extra slam damage. So I prefer your first table.

Well I guess a few points here and there doesn't make much difference, and there is the fact that a simple resist energy spell drastically weakens the Ash Quasi's damage-dealing potential.

Although what most persuades me to use the first option is not it means I don't need to change all the stats that would be affected by a change of Strength.

Oh heck, let's just stick to the original Table 1 plan.

Updating the Dust Quasi-Elemental Working Draft.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads