• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting prehistoric creatures

Status
Not open for further replies.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I'm pretty happy with it.

Nice to have so much help in this thread! Cleon, IPR, want to start in on some other critters? ;)

Cleon

Legend
Looks good.

Updated.

Finished?

Looks sound to me, can't spot anything wrong with the mechanics. I'm not terribly enamoured of the language of my combat tactics section, it just seems a bit, well, unpolished. But I don't think it's worth the time fiddling around with it, since I think it covers everything important, despite not being very poetic.

Doesn't matter much, a lot of the SRD monsters' write-ups are anything but poetic.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Say, Cleon... to digress for a moment, you want to get started on that "building a better otyugh" project?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Dire tapir! :p

Astrapotherium
FREQUENCY: Common
NO. APPEARING: 2-12
ARMOR CLASS: 7
MOVE: 12.
HIT DICE: 3
NO. OF ATTACKS: 1 bite
DAMAGE/ATTACK: 2-5

This was an unremarkable, rhino-sized Miocene mammal. Although it was an herbivore, this beast had two daggerlike canine teeth and was quite capable of defending itself. It had a short trunk for a nose and lived near water like a hippo.

Originally appeared in Dragon Magazine #137 (1988).

Astrapotherium magnum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Shade

Monster Junkie
Good idea. Here's our tapir...

Tapir
Medium Animal
Hit Dice: 3d8+12 (22 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 16 (+6 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 16
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+4
Attack: Bite -1 melee (1d6+1*)
Full Attack: Bite -1 melee (1d6+1*) and 2 stamps -6 melee (1d4*)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: Hold breath, low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +3, Will +2
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 10, Con 17, Int 2, Wis 13, Cha 4
Skills: Jump +6, Listen +7, Spot +5
Feats: Alertness, Endurance
Environment: Temperate and warm forests
Organization: Solitary or herd (5–8)
Challenge Rating: 1
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 4-5 HD (Medium)
Level Adjustment: —

This creature resembles a large pig, but its feet are rhinolike. Its snout is short and prehensile. Its brown eyes have a bluish cast to them.

Tapirs are odd-toed ungulates, most closely related to horses and rhinoceroses. These herbivores are found in forests and jungles, where they spend most of their time foraging along well-worn trails.

Tapirs feed mostly on fruits, berries, and leaves, favoring young, tender growth. They are most active during twilight and night.

Tapirs love water, spending a good deal of time within rivers and other available water bodies lounging or feeding on the riverbottom.

Jaguars, crocodiles, tigers, and large constrictor snakes are the greatest threat to tapirs. The tapirs are relatively swift, able to flee to the shelter of thick forest undergrowth or water.

Tapir reproduce every other year, with a gestation period of around 13 months. Young reach maturity in 3 to 5 years.

A tapir is about 7 feet long and stands 3 feet tall at the shoulder. It weighs 330 to 700 pounds. Coloration varies from reddish-brown to gray to nearly black. Some varieties have white saddle-shaped markings on their back, and at least one variety has long, wooly fur. A tapir lives up to 30 years.

COMBAT

Tapirs are generally shy, and prefer flight to fight, but if cornered they can deliver vicious bites and stamp with their forelegs.

A tapir's natural attacks are treated as secondary attacks and add only half the tapir's Strength bonus to damage. (These secondary attacks are noted with an asterisk in the Attack and Full Attack entries.)

Hold Breath (Ex): A tapir can hold its breath for a number of rounds equal to 4 x its Constitution score before it risks drowning.

Skills: Tapirs have a +4 racial bonus on Swim checks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads