• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting prehistoric creatures

Status
Not open for further replies.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I totally missed that my Lycaenops suggestions were ignored. Serves me right for not actually reading it.

Now, about Cynognathus... I'd prefer Str 13, Dex 15, Con 17. Not strong, not that dextrous, but hardy.

1 HD sounds good.

How about this for the cynognathus' flavor text?

This creature resembles a dog, but it has a more primitive aspect. Its short, squat body bears a coat of mottled fur, and two fangs stick out from its dog-like muzzle. It carries its long, thick tail above the ground.

Cynognathus is a cynodont, one of the more advanced forms of therapsid ("mammal-like reptile"). Living just before the rise of the first dinosaurs, these dog-sized carnivores preyed on dicynodonts and herbivorous cynodonts.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Added to Homebrews.

I'm assuming no natural armor, since they were so "mammal-like". Anyone think it should have some?

I can't discern any special abilities are needed.

Environment?

Advancement?

Since they have fur, that probably warrants a +1 natural armor bonus. Both the small dog and the serval (in Sandstorm) have a +1 natural armor bonus.

I can't think of any more special abilities it should have.
I'd suggest an advancement of 2-3 HD (Small).

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I'd support +1 natural.

The wikipedia entry seems consistent with "Any land" for environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads