Converting prehistoric creatures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
We left off working on therapsids. Do we want to do a smaller gorgonpsid, or move on to a cynodont or dicynodont?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Oooph, I'll leave that to demiurge, since I don't really know enough of a difference. :blush:

According to Wikipedia, Gorgonops was 3-5 meters long, though probably usually closer to 3 meters. That's close to 10 feet, which is still Large. Also according to Wikipedia, the gorgonopsid in Primeval was a Gorgonops.

I'm sorry if it seems like I'm intruding, what with this being my only post and all, but I hold you all in high regard. I'm following this conversion thread because I'm putting together a big book of dinosaur stat blocks for personal use.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I'm sorry if it seems like I'm intruding, what with this being my only post and all, but I hold you all in high regard. I'm following this conversion thread because I'm putting together a big book of dinosaur stat blocks for personal use.

Not at all! Please feel free to join in!

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Hm. I'd like to do a Medium sized one to fill sort of a wolf analogue, but all of the gorgonopsids that have any substantial info on them are either Small or Large. A puzzler.

I already did Euchambersia for a thread on the WotC forums. I'll repost it here, feel free to butcher it.

Me said:
Euchambersia
Small Animal
Hit Dice: 2d8+4 (13 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 13 (+1 size, +1 Dex, +1 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-3
Attack: Bite +3 melee (1d4 plus poison)
Full Attack: Bite +3 melee (1d4 plus poison)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Poison
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +1
Abilities: Str 11, Dex 13, Con 15, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 4
Skills: Hide +5, Listen +5, Spot +4
Feats: Alertness, Weapon Finesse (B)
Environment: Warm forests
Organization: Solitary or pair
Challenge Rating: 1
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 3-4 HD (Medium)

This creature at the same time resembles both a monitor lizard and a dog-like mammal. Its head looks more dog-like, though, due to the whiskers and large fangs. Bristle-like hair sprouts in various places from its rust-brown hide.

Euchambersia was a late Permian therocephalian, a relative of the larger gorgonopsians. Called the viper-wolf by peoples of the land in which it dwells, it is unique in that it has evolved venom for offensive use - to kill its prey.

Combat
Euchambersia waits for prey to come along, then charges in to bite. If threatened by a larger creature, however, it will flee.

Poison (Ex): Euchambersia's venom is a neurotoxin that slows the prey's reflexes and prevents it from struggling (Fort DC 13, 1d4 Dex/1d4 Dex).

Also if you need help converting 2nd Edition to 3.5 I still have the 2nd to 3rd edition conversion manual lying around, I could potentially help if you need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads