• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting prehistoric creatures

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Well, the non-giant sea turtle looks a bit better than a Tiny animated object (CR 1/2), better than a dire rat (except for the disease) (CR 1/2), and only slightly worse than a formian worker (CR 1/2). If you feel it needs a boost, I think it would be entirely reasonable to give it Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat.

As for the giant one, a good comp is the adult tojanida, which has considerably better AC but less in the way of damage. I think the fortification (at least if we go with usual moderate fortification at 75% unwithdrawn) makes up a bit for the AC, just like the tojanida's imp grab and ink cloud make up a bit for the reduced damage.

Cleon

Legend
Well, the non-giant sea turtle looks a bit better than a Tiny animated object (CR 1/2), better than a dire rat (except for the disease) (CR 1/2), and only slightly worse than a formian worker (CR 1/2). If you feel it needs a boost, I think it would be entirely reasonable to give it Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat.

Tiny animated objects usually have hardness - say, wood at hardness 5. They're a lot tougher to kill.

A Formian Worker has a better attack (+2 attack odds, average damage per hit of 3.5 vs the turtle's 2 - meaning it'll do about twice as much damage on average), various resistances, useful SLAs, and its saves are as good or better. Plus they can act intelligently and in perfect coordination.

It still looks like a 1/3 to me.

As for the giant one, a good comp is the adult tojanida, which has considerably better AC but less in the way of damage. I think the fortification (at least if we go with usual moderate fortification at 75% unwithdrawn) makes up a bit for the AC, just like the tojanida's imp grab and ink cloud make up a bit for the reduced damage.

I'm not that attached to CR 4 for the Giant version (which is why I've still got "4 or 5?" in the Working Draft.

Hmm, they are pretty tough, and have a reasonably good speed. I could see going for Challenge Rating 5 for the Giant Sea Turtle.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
OK, then, you've convinced me, we'll go with CR 1/3. What do you think about Weapon Finesse ?

CR 5 for the giant ones, then. Shall we go with the normal moderate fortification?

Cleon

Legend
I'd be ok with that but might want to revisit the CR 1/3 vs 1/2 issue if we do.

Well, they've still only got 5 hit points and a 1d4-1 bite. I don't think a 25% chance of cancelling a crit makes that much difference.

I don't believe Shade gave a preference - are we waiting for him?

Remove ads