• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting prehistoric creatures

Cleon

Legend

Done.

I changed the first name to "Niktoo, Female" but might change it back again later.

I'm wondering whether we should give them some special Stamina increase for forced marches, due to their "These strong creatures can run for days without rest and, at half their normal movement, swim indefinitely (eating and even sleeping while they move, waking just long enough to make course corrections)."

Apart from that, it's missing its feats.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'm wondering whether we should give them some special Stamina increase for forced marches, due to their "These strong creatures can run for days without rest and, at half their normal movement, swim indefinitely (eating and even sleeping while they move, waking just long enough to make course corrections)."

Apart from that, it's missing its feats.

Endurance as a bonus feat sufficiently appeals for covering the "forced march" bits.

For the other feats, probably Weapon Focus (bite) like the snapping turtle and maybe Great Fortitude for the other?

Cleon

Legend
Endurance as a bonus feat sufficiently appeals for covering the "forced march" bits.

For the other feats, probably Weapon Focus (bite) like the snapping turtle and maybe Great Fortitude for the other?

The problem with that is a bonus Endurance feat is a lot less effective that the original nikt'oo's ability to run or swim (at half speed) nonstop for days at a time. It would be able to force march an hour or so longer on average, but with its 20 ft. base speed that means an average horse would still travel roughly twice in a day.

I think that's the important comparison - I'd like a creature on a nikt'oo should be able to travel overland the same distance in a day as a creature on a horse, although the "slow and steady" nikt'oo might arrive hours after the speedier horse.

So, I'm thinking we could give them a modified form of the Herdsman Genie's Tireless March, something like this:

Tireless March (Ex): In a day of normal walking, a nikt'oo can walk for 16 hours instead of the 8 hours of a normal creature. The remaining time is usually spent resting and eating. Thus, a nikt'oo can move twice as many miles in a day as its 20 ft. land speed would indicate. If a nikt'oo walks for longer than 16 hours per day it can become worn out (see the Forced March subsection of the Overland Movement rules). A nikt'oo can use its Tireless March ability while swimming, but it swims at half speed (20 ft.) while doing so. A nikt'oo can not use Tireless March while under the effect of any spell or special ability that increases its speed.

A nikt'oo can eat and sleep during a Tireless March and continue walking (or swimming at half-speed). If it encounters a threat or unexpected obstacle while "sleep marching" it can attempt a Listen or Spot checks to notice it, at a -5 penalty. If it succeeds the nikt'oo immediately wakes up.

Hmm, you know I quite like this!

Cleon

Legend
Tireless March (Ex): In a day of normal walking, a nikt'oo can walk for 16 hours instead of the 8 hours of a normal creature. The remaining time is usually spent resting and eating. Thus, a nikt'oo can move twice as many miles in a day as its 20 ft. land speed would indicate. If a nikt'oo walks for longer than 16 hours per day it can become worn out (see the Forced March subsection of the Overland Movement rules). A nikt'oo can use its Tireless March ability while swimming, but it swims at half speed (20 ft.) while doing so. A nikt'oo can not use Tireless March while under the effect of any spell or special ability that increases its speed.

A nikt'oo can eat and sleep during a Tireless March and continue walking (or swimming at half-speed). If it encounters a threat or unexpected obstacle while "sleep marching" it can attempt a Listen or Spot checks to notice it, at a -5 penalty. If it succeeds the nikt'oo immediately wakes up.

Although I would like to give it Endurance as a bonus feat as well as Tireless March.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I think I could go with that. But I have a strange feeling we've done something similar before; I first thought it was the Buraq that had it, but I just checked and can't find it. Hmm.

Cleon

Legend
I think I could go with that. But I have a strange feeling we've done something similar before; I first thought it was the Buraq that had it, but I just checked and can't find it. Hmm.

You think we've done something similar before?

Whatever could have given you that idea...

So, I'm thinking we could give them a modified form of the Herdsman Genie's Tireless March, something like this:

Is that ability similar enough for you?

:angel:

Mortis

First Post
Well, can it be modified slightly to make it more acceptable as Ex?
In my opinion that is only a Su ability as the genies can affect others (the herd) with it. As an ability that only affects the creature that possesses it changing it to Ex makes sense to me.

Regards
Mortis

Cleon

Legend
In my opinion that is only a Su ability as the genies can affect others (the herd) with it. As an ability that only affects the creature that possesses it changing it to Ex makes sense to me.

Regards
Mortis

Quite. The nikt'oo isn't magically making other creatures be able to march for days at a time. It just has a peculiar metabolism that allows it to do that itself.

Anyhow, I'm pretty happy with the ability as-is. Does anyone have any changes they can suggest?

Remove ads