Converting "Real World" Animals and Vermin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleon

Legend
Added to Homebrews. I put the climb speed of our lesser apes back in. If you want to drop it, convince me. ;)

Keep the Climb speed if you like, it doesn't bother me. I'd be tempted to reduce it to Climb 15 ft. though, to match the Dire Ape.

I see you added Improved Grab (the dire ape lacks it). If we're going that route, why not borrow the constrict and/or toss from Demiurge's giant ape? I really like the toss. :)

I'm fine with adding Toss. Not so sure about Constrict, since it would presumably do a lot less damage (2d4+10?) than Rend.

How about:
Constrict: A giant ape can automatically inflict its 3d6+15 Rend damage upon an opponent it is grappling. If it succeeds on a grapple check, it does an additional 2d6+10 damage to its opponent, for a total of 5d6+25.
Hmm, that's nasty. I like it.:devil:

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

Skills: Climb +18, 13 ranks
Cleon suggested Listen, Survival, Spot upthread

Feats: 4
Cleon suggested Alertness, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Power Attack upthread

Cleon

Legend
Updated.

Skills: Climb +18, 13 ranks
Cleon suggested Listen, Survival, Spot upthread

Feats: 4
Cleon suggested Alertness, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Power Attack upthread

3 points in Survival like our gorilla and 5 points each in Listen & Spot?

Assuming it has Alertness, that would give it Climb +18, Listen +8, Spot +8, Survival +4.

EDIT: I see you've given it a Giant's +1 to hit with rock-throwing in the Combat section. I didn't include this in my proposed Attack line, so it should become: rock +7 ranged (2d6+10)

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
Oops! I had the full attack line right, but missed the racial bonus on the attack line. Fixed now.

Updated.

Organization: Solitary or company (x–x)

Challenge Rating: 7-8? It has a few less HD and hp than a hill giant, but far greater damage output.

A giant ape stands about x feet tall and weighs from x to x pounds.

Cleon

Legend
Gaah! I just realized I figured its hit points wrong. I used the average values of a Magical Beast's d10, not the d8 hit dice it actually has.

Average hit points should be 85.

Oops! I had the full attack line right, but missed the racial bonus on the attack line. Fixed now.

Updated.

Organization: Solitary or company (x–x)

How about Solitary or gang (2-5), I just like the word "gang" for them, and it's an organization used by Hill Giants.

Challenge Rating: 7-8? It has a few less HD and hp than a hill giant, but far greater damage output.

Not to mention they have all good saves, a not inconsequential boost in defences.

Although Hill Giants are arguably a bit over-Challenge Rated unless they're facing melee parties.

I'll vote for CR 7. Advancing a Dire Ape its CR works out around 6, the Giant Ape has a few extra tricks which I feel deserves a boost up one rank.

A giant ape stands about x feet tall and weighs from x to x pounds.

Scaling up from a Dire Ape would gives us 18 feet and 6400-9600 pounds, which we could round out to "A giant ape stands about 18 feet tall and weighs from 6,000 to 10,000 pounds." That seems about right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads