Level: Sorc/Wiz 1
Components: V,S,M
Casting Time: 1 full round action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One object (see text)
Duration: 24 hours or until discharged
Saving Throw: Will negates (see text)
Spell Resistance: Yes (see text)

When a creature without the Dragon type or Reptilian subtype comes within 10 ft of the target object, the spell creates the illusory sound of a large serpent crawling and hissing nearby. In addition, the first 10HD of creatures within a 10 ft radius of the creature that triggers the spell (including the triggering creature) are shaken for 1 round per caster level. Creatures with the lowest HD are affected first, and the creature closest to the triggering creature is affected first in the case of a tie.

A Will save to disbelieve the illusion also negates the fear effect.

Material Component: A snake skin or lizard skin.

Cleon

Legend
Revising, following Cleon's suggestions (I think it looks pretty good now):

Slither --- Hiss!
Illusion (pattern) [fear, mind-affecting]
Level: Sorc/Wiz 1
Casting Time: 1 full round action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One object (see text)
Duration: 24 hours or until discharged
Saving Throw: Will negates (see text)
Spell Resistance: Yes (see text)

When a creature without the Dragon type or Reptilian subtype comes within 10 ft of the target object, the spell creates the illusory sound of a large serpent crawling and hissing nearby. In addition, the first 10HD of creatures within a 10 ft radius of the creature that triggers the spell (including the triggering creature) are shaken for 1 round per caster level. Creatures with the lowest HD are affected first, and the creature closest to the triggering creature is affected first in the case of a tie.

A Will save to disbelieve the illusion also negates the fear effect.

Material Component: A snake skin or lizard skin.

That looks fine to me, we can call the spell done as far as I'm concerned.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Pretty--Boom! (Illusion/Evocation/Alteration)
Level: 3
Range: 0
CT: 1 round
Duration: 24 hours
ST: l/2
Area of Effect: 10’ sphere
Explanation/Description: The material component for this spell is a gem of at least 1 gp value. When cast, the gem takes on the appearance of a gem of 10-100 times its real value. This enchantment lasts exactly 24 hours. At the end of this time, the gem explodes with great force, doing 3-12 hp damage to anyone within 5’. Those within 10’ are allowed a saving throw vs. wands; if successful, they take half damage. The explosion is based upon force, not fire. The burst produces shrapnel-like shards capable of turning a backpack, bag, or pouch into shreds while still doing damage to the bearer of the item. If the gem explodes in a bag of holding or portable hole, the item is destroyed, but the bearer of the bag or hole takes no damage.

The caster of the spell may dispel this spell before it explodes simply by speaking a command word within 10’ of the gem. Only the caster can so deactivate the pretty—-boom! gem, even if another spellcaster knows the command word. Dispel magic works normally against this spell.

Alternately, the demon drake may choose not to have the gem explode. Instead, the gem might evaporate into a stinking cloud, as per the wizard spell, or might explode with a great noise but doing only 1 hp damage and creating a 20’-diameter cloud of sulfurous smoke lasting one turn.

Here's a stab at it, based off weakening explosive runes, stinking cloud, and fog cloud...

Pretty--Boom!
Abjuration [Force]
Level: Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: One touched gem
Duration: 24 hours or until discharged (D)
Saving Throw: See text
Spell Resistance: Yes

You transform a single gem's appearance to seem of much greater value. Exactly 24 hours after casting, the gem detonates, dealing 3d4 points of force damage. Any creature or object within 5 feet of the gem takes the full damage with no saving throw; any other creature or object within 10 feet of the gem is entitled to a Reflex save for half damage. The gem is destroyed in the process (no saving throw).

Rather than dealing force damage, you may instead choose one of two other effects. First, the gem can evaporate into a 20-foot-spread sickening vapors. Living creatures in the cloud become sickened. This condition lasts as long as the creature is in the cloud and for 1d4+1 rounds after it leaves. (Roll separately for each sickened character.) Any creature that succeeds on its save but remains in the cloud must continue to save each round on your turn. The second optional effect is a thunderous pop followed by a cloud of concealing fog. Each creature within a 10-foot-radius spread must make a Fortitude save or be deafened for 1 hour. A deafened creature, in addition to the obvious effects, takes a –4 penalty on initiative and has a 20% chance to miscast and lose any spell with a verbal component that it tries to cast. The ensuing fog functions as fog cloud, except it only lingers for 1 minute.

The gem appears to be a much higher quality gemstone of 1,000 gp value. Anyone interacting with the gem is entitled to a single Will save to detect the ruse. Alternatively, a creature with the Appraise skill may attempt a DC 27 Appraise check (DC 25 + spell level) to determine the gem's true worth.

Material Component: One gem worth at least 1 gp.

Shade

Monster Junkie
No argument here. I just borrowed it from explosive runes, which it most closely resembled.

Stinking cloud and fog cloud are conjuration (creation). Perhaps that is better?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Maybe, though most force effects are evocation (and that's considered an underpowered school by some people). Is it possible to have it change schools? Also, I think we need to specify how long the sickening cloud lasts.

Cleon

Legend
The description of Pretty-Boom looks fine but it may be a bit too powerful, it's almost like three 2nd level spells rolled into one. I think I'd reduce the duration of deafness from an hour, and curb the duration of the stinking vapours.

Make them both last 1d4+1 rounds, and have the stink only linger for one round after leaving the cloud?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Maybe, though most force effects are evocation (and that's considered an underpowered school by some people). Is it possible to have it change schools? Also, I think we need to specify how long the sickening cloud lasts.

PHB2 introduced "dual-schooled" spells, which might be appropriate here.

The description of Pretty-Boom looks fine but it may be a bit too powerful, it's almost like three 2nd level spells rolled into one. I think I'd reduce the duration of deafness from an hour, and curb the duration of the stinking vapours.

Make them both last 1d4+1 rounds, and have the stink only linger for one round after leaving the cloud?

Are you sure it's necessary? I already toned down stinking cloud from nauseated to sickened, reduced fog cloud from 10 min/level to 1 minute, and blindness/deafness from permanent to 1 hour. I think the 1d4+1 rounds for lingering stink sounds good, though.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Dual schools sounds like the way to go.

I guess the question is if the versatility of the spell makes it 3rd level. I don't know if it would be game-breaking at 2nd, though, especially since it should be mostly limited to demon drakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases