Converting True Dragons

Shade

Monster Junkie
Finally added to Homebrews.

I'm not sure we need all that information in the wildshape entry. I think we can whittle it down quite a bit, just referring to the the druid class feature instead.

I didn't care for the faerie fire duration being based upon the damage, so I changed it to 1 minute/age category. If enough of you feel strongly about the other method, I'm willing to begrudgingly change it back.

Cleon

Legend
Finally added to Homebrews.

I'm not sure we need all that information in the wildshape entry. I think we can whittle it down quite a bit, just referring to the the druid class feature instead.

Yes it could do with some whittling. Would you care to have a go?

I didn't care for the faerie fire duration being based upon the damage, so I changed it to 1 minute/age category. If enough of you feel strongly about the other method, I'm willing to begrudgingly change it back.

I don't mind dropping the per hit point but I would like it to be longer and variable.

1d4 minutes per age category?

RavinRay

Explorer
Agreed.
The 1 minute/age category hearkens to the 1 minute/level of the spell, right? I like that one better,

Cleon

Legend
Come to think of it, when I was drafting that Wildshape entry that I did wonder about having something like the following, but I thought the True Dragon's special abilities always included the age categories at which they appeared, so went for the more detailed approach out of a sense of consistency rather than simply referred to the Dragon Abilities Table.

Wildshape (Ex): An auburn dragon can wildshape like a druid but cannot wildshape into a creature with more Hit Dice than it has levels in Dragon. The frequency and forms of it wildshape ability depend on its age, as indicated in the Auburn Dragon Abilities by Age Table above.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Come to think of it, when I was drafting that Wildshape entry that I did wonder about having something like the following, but I thought the True Dragon's special abilities always included the age categories at which they appeared, so went for the more detailed approach out of a sense of consistency rather than simply referred to the Dragon Abilities Table.

Generally, just the SLAs get that treatment.

Wildshape (Ex): An auburn dragon can wildshape like a druid but cannot wildshape into a creature with more Hit Dice than it has levels in Dragon. The frequency and forms of it wildshape ability depend on its age, as indicated in the Auburn Dragon Abilities by Age Table above.

Hmm...I'm not sure what you mean by "levels in dragon". Do you mean age categories? If so, its wild shape is going to be quite weak.

Cleon

Legend
Much! Or better yet, simply "Hit Dice". ;)

Sure, a dragon can take class levels, but it's rare enough to probably be evident to a DM going down that path.

I prefer dragon hit dice to plain hit dice, to prevent confusion.

Hmm, although its dragon HD might stack with any druid levels it gets for wildshaping...

Funnily enough, I thought "levels in Dragon" would be easily understood, since it's quite common to see monster type levels in Monster as Character writeups (e.g. "humanoid levels" in Bugbears as Characters).

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
We could say "racial HD" as a common name for these things. ;)

I'm a bit late to the party, but I also like 1 min per age category for the sylvan flames.

Remove ads