• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting True Dragons

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Well, I wouldn't mind some sort of enhanced hiding, whether that's just a boosted Hide bonus or even more. It's the extra senses I have a harder time justifying.

Cleon

Legend
Well, I wouldn't mind some sort of enhanced hiding, whether that's just a boosted Hide bonus or even more. It's the extra senses I have a harder time justifying.

I have no objection to dropping the Tremorsense idea if you're against it.

We do need some sort of Hide-enhancing ability, though.

Cleon

Legend
How about they gain total cover and a +20 cover bonus to Hide checks?

Well, according to the Hide skill total cover usually "obviates the need for a Hide check, since nothing can see you anyway" - except for the special case of invisibilty, which gives a either a +20 or +40 adjustment.

So I'd rather leave off mentioning the total cover (since it's not in the Crocodile's Hide-under-cover ability we're basing this off).

+20 is probably enough, although I'd be fine going a bit higher - maybe give it a higher bonus if it's immobile?

e.g.:

Skills: A dune dragon gains a +4 racial bonus on Hide checks when in beach or desert areas. Further, a dune dragon can burrow through sand with only its eyes and nostrils showing, gaining a +8 cover bonus on Hide checks, which increases to a +24 cover bonus when the dune dragon is immobile.

freyar

That's enough for me!

I think background is the only thing remaining. Something like "Dune dragons are normally solitary creatures with only a broad society. Nonetheless, when not keeping to themselves, they are often willing to converse or even at times ally with adventurers --- as long as their treasure is undisturbed."

Also, I just spotted a "sand dragon" in the breath weapon.

Cleon

Legend
That's enough for me!

Updating the Dune Dragon Working Draft.

I also added a note that it was renamed to distinguish it from the Sandstorm sand dragon.

I think background is the only thing remaining. Something like "Dune dragons are normally solitary creatures with only a broad society. Nonetheless, when not keeping to themselves, they are often willing to converse or even at times ally with adventurers --- as long as their treasure is undisturbed."

Hmm, the original text has "aid with information" rather than "ally", which implies more active support.

We have a couple of other facts we can add in. They live on beaches as well as deserts, they often wander far from their lairs, and they hide their treasure by burying it deep underground.

Those all seem worth mentioning.

Also, I just spotted a "sand dragon" in the breath weapon.

That sand dragon's buried itself under a "dune dragon", so it now enjoys total cover from your Spot checks.

freyar

"Dune dragons are normally solitary creatures with only a broad society. Nonetheless, when not keeping to themselves, they are often willing to converse with adventurers, even going so far as to provide helpful information --- as long as their treasure is undisturbed. They sometimes bury their hoards deep under sand, usually near but not always in their own lairs. While dune dragons might live either in deserts or on sandy beaches, they have a large range and wander far from their usual homes."

Cleon

Legend
"Dune dragons are normally solitary creatures with only a broad society. Nonetheless, when not keeping to themselves, they are often willing to converse with adventurers, even going so far as to provide helpful information --- as long as their treasure is undisturbed. They sometimes bury their hoards deep under sand, usually near but not always in their own lairs. While dune dragons might live either in deserts or on sandy beaches, they have a large range and wander far from their usual homes."

There's some redundancy in the first two sentences, and their burying treasure appears to be a regular habit, not something they only do "sometimes".

Also, I noticed there's some information about their reproductive habits which we might as well include in the background text.

How's this:

These wingless dragons live in deserts, beaches and similar sandy areas. They love to wander and are often encountered far from their lairs. Dune dragons are basically solitary, but are willing to converse with travelers, sometimes even going so far as to provide helpful information to adventurers. They normally only become aggressive when threatened or if their treasure is disturbed - the hoards of these dragons are usually buried deep under the sand, near or below their own lairs.

Female dune dragons produce three eggs once every decade or so, which they bury deep and leave. The hatchlings emerge after a year and instinctively seek out an adult dune dragon to care for it (who may or may not be its parent). The unrestricted society of dune dragons is based on teaching magic to these hatchlings and introducing them to other dune dragons.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads