Converting World of Greyhawk monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
i'm going with CR 3. i think we're basically done - do you see anything left to work on with this fella?

the trip attack has a +5 right? or would it be +6 because of the weapon focus to bite?

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
woot! :)

i have other plans for the horgar and vampiric mist - were the vapor rat and sea snail still up for grabs?

Shade

Monster Junkie
As far as I know. As someone pointed out earlier, the vapor rats are in the Temple of Elemental Evil CRPG, but I have that game and it doesn't list out any statistics for them in the manual, so I'd say that they are fair game.

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
i have other plans for the horgar and vampiric mist - were the vapor rat and sea snail still up for grabs?
Are we limited to these two, or can we vote on the additional critters Filby and I posted?

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
No, we’re not limited to those two. I just wanted to get them out of the way since we’re down to two. :)

If you really have a preference for something else though, let me know and I’ll have a look.

Shade

Monster Junkie
The remaining two are fine. I have no immediate need for the other stuff. The sea snail sounds like a simple conversion for a change. :)

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
hmm, just realized that i had forgotten to post these guys. ;)

MM2:

Vapor Rat

FREQUENCY: Rare
NO. APPEARING: 2-16
ARMOR CLASS: 6 (or special)
MOVE: 12"/ /6" (1")
HIT DICE: 2
% IN LAIR: 30%
TREASURE TYPE: See below
NO. OF ATTACK: 1
DAMAGE /A ATTACK: 1 -2 hp
SPECIAL ATTACKS: Stinking cloud
SPECIAL DEFENSES: Gaseous form
MAGIC RESISTANCE: Standard
INTELLIGENCE: Low
ALIGNMENT: Chaotic (neutral)
SIZE: S
PSIONIC ABILITY: Nil
Attack/Defense Modes: Nil/nil
LEVEL/X.P. VALUE: II/52 + 2/hp

Vapor rats appear to be nothing more than large, gray giant rats. Their habitat, however, includes areas not common to giant rats, for the-is creatures also dwell in and on the substantial cloud islands which frequently serve as the abode of cloud giants.

It is possible for vapor rats to alter the substance of their bodies and assume a gaseous form, In this condition they appear to be wisps of cloud or similar vapors, In normal solid state, vapor rats move very quickly and rapidly, are able to swim well, and are capable of burrowing rapidly through loose soil or the material of cloud islands, In their vaporous condition, they are able to direct their movement much as a ship would steer before the wind, and they are thus able to move from cloud to cloud around the sky,

Vapor rats are omnivorous, loving garbage and carrion, which is typical of a I I rats is, Wit Is They do not seek treasure, there is a possibility that the remains of t he it meals will contain some items of value. It discovered in their lair r, the re is a 25% chance for each of the following treasure types to be there: J (1 - 4), K (1 -4), L (1 -4), M (1 -4), N (1-2), C-type for gems, jewelry, and magic. If angry, hungry, or cornered, vapor rats will attack by scurrying in and delivering sharp bites. Whenever one is killed or seriously wounded, it gives off a small puff of noxious fumes This gaseous release is the equivalent of a stinking cloud spell (q.v.), but it will affect only 1 individual if within 5-8 feet of the vapor rat. The rat always directs its release at its opponent, and the gas dissipates beyond the maximum distance shown above. Thus, while it is safe to slay these monsters from a distance, they are particularly dangerous in close proximity.

Wounded or seriously threatened vapor rats will always assume gaseous form. In such state, they can only be harmed by attack forms which cause their vapors to be destroyed. Such attack forms include very hot or magical fire, lightning, and exceptionally strong winds.

MC5:

Vapor Rat
CLIMATE/TERRAIN: Any/Cloud islands
FREQUENCY: Rare
ORGANIZATION: Pack
ACTIVITY CYCLE: Any
DIET: Omnivore
INTELLIGENCE: Low (5-7)
TREASURE: Incidental
ALIGNMENT: Chaotic neutral

NO. APPEARING: 2-16
ARMOR CLASS: 6 (or special)
MOVEMENT: 12, Fl 6 (Gaseous 1)
HIT DICE: 2
THAC0: 19
NO. OF ATTACKS: 1
DAMAGE/ATTACK: 1-2
SPECIAL ATTACKS: Nil
SPECIAL DEFENSES: Stinking cloud
MAGIC RESISTANCE: Nil
SIZE: T (1' long)
MORALE: Unsteady (5-7)
XP VALUE: 35

Vapor Rats

Vapor rats appear to be nothing more than large, gray, giant rats. Their habitat, however, includes areas not common to giant rats, for these creatures also dwell in and on the substantial cloud islands that frequently serve as the abode of cloud giants and cloud dragons.

If angry, hungry, or cornered, vapor rats attack by scurrying in and delivering a sharp bite. Whenever one is killed, it gives off a small puff of noxious fumes. This gaseous release is the equivalent of the stinking cloud spell, but it affects only one individual within eight feet of the vapor rat. The rat always directs its release toward its opponent, and the gas dissipates to harmlessness beyond eight feet. Thus, while it is safe to slay these creatures at a distance, they are particularly dangerous in close proximity.

It is possible for vapor rats to alter the substance of their bodies and assume a gaseous form. In this condition they appear to be wisps of cloud or similar vapors. In their vaporous condition they are able to direct their movements much as a ship would steer before the wind, and they are thus able to move from cloud to cloud around the sky.

Wounded or seriously threatened vapor rats always assume gaseous form. In such a state, they can be harmed only by attack forms that cause their vapors to be destroyed. These include very hot or magical fire, lightning, and exceptionally strong winds (see the potion of gaseous form for more details).

some preliminary stats for the vapor rat:

Rat, Vapor
Tiny Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 2d10+X (X hp)
Initiative: +X
Speed: 30 ft (6 squares), fly 20 ft or 5 ft? (clumsy?)
Armor Class: 14 (+2 size, +X Dex, +X natural), touch 11, flat-footed 19
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+X
Attack: Bite (1d2)
Full Attack: Bite (1d2)
Space/Reach: 2 ½ ft/2 ½ ft
Special Attacks: stinking cloud (death throes)
Special Qualities: gaseous form
Saves: Fort +X Ref +X Will +X
Abilities: Str X, Dex X, Con X, Int 6, Wis X, Cha X
Skills: X (swim)
Feats: 1

Environment: Any land and underground
Organization: Solitary or pack (2-16)
Challenge Rating: X
Treasure: (incidental)
Alignment: Always chaotic neutral
Advancement: X
Level Adjustment: +X

A vapor rat is about a foot long and weighs

COMBAT

Originally found in the first edition Monster Manual II (1983, Gary Gygax) and Monstrous Compendium MC5 - Greyhawk Appendix (1990).

Found one conversion here: http://66.34.111.89/Eric/conversions/vaporrat.rtf

Shade

Monster Junkie
Go BOZ, you posting fiend! ;)

Here are some similar creatures for comparison for stats:
Rat (Tiny): Str 2, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 2
Dire Rat (Small): Str 10, Dex 17, Con 12, Int 1, Wis 12, Cha 4
Ash Rat (Small): Str 6, Dex 18, Con 11, Int 2, Wis 13, Cha 3
Moonrat (Tiny): Str 2, Dex 15, Con 11, Int 2, Wis 13, Cha 2

Based on that, I'd recommend Str 2, Dex 15, and Con 10-11 for the physical stats. As for mental stats, its smarter than all of the above, so I'd look at the lesser cranium rat pack: Int 9, Wis 14, Cha 13. So maybe Wis 13, Cha 13 to go along with its 6 Int?

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
i'm giving it a slightly higher Dex (17), and that Cha is too high. maybe no more than 11.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads