# Attacks: 3
Dmg: 1d6/1d6/1d8
SA: Charge
SD: Nil
Magic Resistance: Nil
Size: L (8' tall, 12' long)
Morale: Champion (15-16)
XP Value: 5,000 XP

A manotaur somewhat resembles a centaur. Unlike a minotaur, which has the body of a man and the head of a bull, a manotaur has the body of a bull and the upper torso of a man. The head sports a pair of horns that a manotaur continually sharpens for use in combat. A great mane of hair runs down its neck, trailing across its shoulders. Coloration varies, but most manotaurs are brown, gray, or black. Manotaurs measure seven to eight feet tall and ten to 12 feet in length. The human torso is broad and powerful. Manotaurs are strict carnivores; their mouths are wide and filled with sharpened teeth and short fangs. A manotaur usually speaks its own language, as well as minotaur, ogre, and hill giant.

Because of its superior senses of smell and hearing, a manotaur is surprised only on a 1 in 10 chnce. Since manotaurs run with absolute silence through their woodland lairs, opponent surprise rolls are at a -3 penalty. A manotaur will typically charge if it surprises an opponent.

A manotaur attacks using its two front hooves and its razor sharp horns. Anytime in combat that a manotaur can run 20 feet or more in a straight line, it can charge. When charging, a manotaur attacks only with its horns but the damage is tripled (3d8). In addition, man-sized or smaller targets are slammed back ten feet by the force of the charge and might be knocked down.

Manotaurs are intelligent opponents that rely upon brute force when battling smaller creatures and guile against well-armed foes. A common ploy by manotaurs is to surprise the opponent, deliver a single charge attack, then disappear into the forest. A manotaur repeats this tactic time and again, slowly wearing down the foe before closing for the kill.

Habitat/Society: Manotaurs are evil by nature, hating all good things. Their lairs are usually overgrown, desolate forests, in which they gallop to and fro, beating out a series of twisted interlocking paths with their hooves. These paths are known only to the manotaur who lives there: Any creature attempting to follow the paths in a manotaur forest is 75% likely to become disoriented and unable to find its way back out of the forest. A person trapped in a manotaur forest has only a 10% chance per day of finding his way out without magical aid. At seemingly random points, the forest's paths straighten out for as much as 30 feet at a time. This is where the manotaur will wait, timing his charge to hit just as the victim rounds the bend and steps onto the straightened path.

The personalities of manotaurs vary widely; some guard their forest jealously, killing all who dare enter. Others fill teh woodland with wicked creatures, such as giant spiders, orcs, and even an occasional ogre or two. They use these creatures to spread terror through the forest and as spies in the outside world.

A manotaur colt is born with 2 Hit Dice. The colt remains with its father until it reaches 5 Hit Dice. At that point it is driven out of the forest. A manotaur colt that reenters its father's forest is immediately slain.

Ecology: Manotaurs hunt sylvan creatures (brownies, sprites, elves, and the like). They hate unicorns and can sense them anywhere in their forests. The only time two manotaurs will cooperate is to track down and destroy a unicorn.

Manotaurs sometimes use treasure to lure creatures into their maze of paths, placing a gold piece here and a silver there. Humans and demhumans who carefully map may be able to pick up a quick silver piece or two, but even a short journey into the forest can lead to disaster. The bulk of a manotaur's treasure is hidden either beneath a great stone or in a tree hollow near the center of the forest.

The origins of the first manotaur are a great mystery; possibly, it was the offspring of a minotaur and a human female.

Manotaurs live 300 years or more.

From MCA3 and Greyhawk Ruins.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Wow, Shade, you're really going wild with starting new conversion threads... :)

May I suggest a lot of Spot and Listen for this one and maybe Alertness, too?

Shade

Monster Junkie
freyar said:
Wow, Shade, you're really going wild with starting new conversion threads... :)

Yeah, I've gone a bit overboard. I've done so for several reasons: I actually have some free time, the CC hasn't been updated much in awhile, and I had a bunch of creature's original descriptions already typed up so I wanted to get them on here before I had a system crash or managed to lose them. ;)

freyar said:
May I suggest a lot of Spot and Listen for this one and maybe Alertness, too?

You may. Duly noted. :)

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Ok, then, seems like mostly a melee masher. It should probably get Spirited Charge as a bonus feat, with the gore attack counting as a lance when charging. I guess Ride-by Attack, as well, and Awesome Blow. That seems like a lot of bonus feats, but I guess that's the characteristic attack of these things. Or should they just be normal feats, given that Manotaurs already have a lot of HD?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Beginning a stat block...

Manotaur
Large Monstrous Humanoid
Hit Dice: 13d8+x (x hp)
Initiative: +x
Speed: 60 ft. (12 squares)
Armor Class: x (–1 size, +x Dex, +x natural), touch x, flat-footed x
Base Attack/Grapple: +13/+x
Attack: Gore +x melee (x+x) or weapon?
Full Attack: Gore +x melee (x+x) and 2 hooves +x melee (x+x) or weapon?
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Powerful charge
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., scent
Saves: Fort +x, Ref +x, Will +x
Abilities: Str x, Dex x, Con x, Int 8-10, Wis x, Cha x
Skills: Intimidate +x, Listen +x, Move Silently +x, Search +x, Spot +x
Feats: 5 (Alertness?)
Environment: Temperate forests
Organization:: x
Challenge Rating: x
Treasure: x
Alignment: Usually chaotic evil
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: +x

Powerful Charge (Ex): A minotaur typically begins a battle by charging at an opponent, lowering its head to bring its mighty horns into play. In addition to the normal benefits and hazards of a charge, this allows the beast to make a single gore attack with a +9 attack bonus that deals 4d6+6 points of damage.

Some things to consider from the two most similar creatures...

Minotaur Abilities: Str 19, Dex 10, Con 15, Int 7, Wis 10, Cha 8
Minotaur Feats: Great Fortitude, Power Attack, Track
Minotaur Natural Armor: +5
Centaur Str 18, Dex 14, Con 15, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 11
Centaur Feats: Dodge, Weapon Focus (hoof)
Centaur Natural Armor: +3

Skills: Minotaurs have a +4 racial bonus on Search, Spot, and Listen checks.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
did you check Echohawk's file? for some reason i think there may have been more than one version of a manotaur...

Shade

Monster Junkie
I believe Greyhawk Ruins was the only other source listed, and the MCA3 pulled it from this source, IIRC.

Mortis

First Post
Shade said:
Some things to consider from the two most similar creatures...

Minotaur Abilities: Str 19, Dex 10, Con 15, Int 7, Wis 10, Cha 8
Minotaur Feats: Great Fortitude, Power Attack, Track
Minotaur Natural Armor: +5
Centaur Str 18, Dex 14, Con 15, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 11
Centaur Feats: Dodge, Weapon Focus (hoof)
Centaur Natural Armor: +3
I'd favour minotaur for physical and centaur for mental abilities, but given as it has over double the HD of either of those maybe we could up the stats a bit to give something along the lines of:

Str 22, Dex 12, Con 17, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 12
Natural Armor: +6

Feats: (5 of) Alertness, Endurance, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Overrun, Power Attack, Run, Track, Weapon Focus (gore)

Personally I would remove Improved Bull Rush - despite the name ;) and Track.

The problem with Ride By Attack and Spirited Charge is that they require ranks in Ride and the Mounted Combat feat (unless given as bonus feats of course) so it would probably be better to give the manotuar a special ability that duplicates the effects unless you feel that Shade's Powerful Charge is sufficent.

Regards
Mortis

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Shade said:
I believe Greyhawk Ruins was the only other source listed, and the MCA3 pulled it from this source, IIRC.
That's correct, although there is also the little known "manotor" in Conan: Unchained! (CB1).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads