Converting World of Greyhawk monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
So...

Habitat/Society: Manotaurs are evil by nature, hating all good things. Their lairs are usually overgrown, desolate forests, in which they gallop to and fro, beating out a series of twisted interlocking paths with their hooves. These paths are known only to the manotaur who lives there: Any creature attempting to follow the paths in a manotaur forest is 75% likely to become disoriented and unable to find its way back out of the forest. A person trapped in a manotaur forest has only a 10% chance per day of finding his way out without magical aid. At seemingly random points, the forest's paths straighten out for as much as 30 feet at a time. This is where the manotaur will wait, timing his charge to hit just as the victim rounds the bend and steps onto the straightened path.

Forest Maze (Su?): A manotaur can create a natural labyrinth in its home forest. To do so, the manotaur must spend at least a month pounding out these paths with their hooves. This maze may cover up to one square mile. Any creature entering this natural maze becomes hopelessly lost. Each hour(?), it may attempt a DC 20 Intelligence check to escape the labyrinth as a full-round action.

On second thought, what if we modeled this after the Getting Lost rules in the DMG?

Difficult Terrain: Any character in forest, moor, hill, or mountain terrain may become lost if he or she moves away from a trail, road, stream, or other obvious path or track. Forests are especially dangerous because they obscure far-off landmarks and make it hard to see the sun or stars.

Chance to Get Lost: If conditions exist that make getting lost a possibility, the character leading the way must succeed on a Survival check or become lost. The difficulty of this check varies based on the terrain, the visibility conditions, and whether or not the character has a map of the area being traveled through. Refer to the table below and use the highest DC that applies.

Forest is DC 15.

Perhaps the natural maze created by the manotaur has a DC of 25?

Shade

Monster Junkie
freyar said:
Why not just add that a manotaur is considered mounted when making its devastating charge (along these lines)? Or something like

Naturally Mounted (Ex): A manotaur is considered to have X ranks in the Ride skill and to have the Mounted Combat feat (and others?) for the purposes of determining feat prerequisites.

Combining the two...

Naturally Mounted (Ex): A manotaur is considered to be mounted when this is favorable to the manotaur, such as for the purposes of meeting feat prerequisites and determining the effects of feats and special abilities. It is considered to possess 10 ranks in the Ride skill and to have the Mounted Combat feat for the purposes of determining feat prerequisites.

How's that?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Take two...

Forest Maze (Su?): A manotaur can create a natural labyrinth in its home forest. To do so, the manotaur must spend at least a month pounding out these paths with their hooves. This maze may cover up to one square mile. Any creature entering this natural maze must succeed on a DC 25 Survival check or become lost (see Getting Lost in the <i>Dungeon Master's Guide</i>).

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
This looks fine to me, but I'd make it (Ex) given the more mundane nature of it. I'd still give it the "immunity to mazes" or whatever the relevant ability of the minotaur is called. ;)

Shade

Monster Junkie
For feats, how about Alertness, Multiattack, Power Attack, Ride-By Attack, Track?

For skills, how about Hide 7, Intimidate 5, Listen 4, Move Silently 3, Search 4, Spot 4, Survival 5?

+8 bonus on Hide and Move Silently checks in forest terrain?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Looks pretty good, but I'd prefer more Listen and Spot if we can get them, since the original text says it's not surprised very much. Or else the same racial bonus as the minotaur.

Shade

Monster Junkie
freyar said:
Looks pretty good, but I'd prefer more Listen and Spot if we can get them, since the original text says it's not surprised very much. Or else the same racial bonus as the minotaur.

It's got 'em. ;)

Updated. Suggestions for gore and hoof damage? Any suggestions for a sample weapon in the stat block (greataxe like minotaur, perhaps)?

Mortis

First Post
Shade said:
Suggestions for gore and hoof damage?
Slightly more than a centaur or minotaur so...
1d10 gore
1d8 hooves?

Sample weapon in the stat block (greataxe like minotaur, perhaps)?
I would suggest lance, but that would make the gore pretty much redundant. As they rely on brute force for some attacks, greataxe would fit the bill.

Regards
Mortis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads