Converting World of Greyhawk monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
So you think they can be banished? Huh. I had been thinking they are currently born in the Material Plane, so they'd be native, but I can see the other side of the story.

Also, maybe we should go with elemental instead of outsider. What do you think?

Big Mac

Explorer
Medium Outsider (native, earth)?

I was wondering about naive too, but the creature is definatly an elemental. I checked the SRD and it says you can only have native outsiders.

Elemental makes good sense to me.

Elemental sounds spot on to me.

It sounds like they have a burrow speed and some sort of "rockvision" that allows them to see through solid ground.

I think they need a sidebar to say that if used in Greyhawk they are only found in Barrier Peaks and the Valley of the Mage.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'm thinking Elemental (Earth, Extraplanar).

Let's figure out ability scores.

We know Int is High (13-14). Cha should be at least as good due to the use of SLAs and the pursuit of peaceful resolutions.

Earth elementals of similar size have Str 21, Dex 8, Con 17. It doesn't appear that they would have a Dex penalty, and might be not quite as formidable as the earth elementals, so maybe...

Str 18, Dex 10, Con 17, Int 14, Wis 13, Cha 15?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Added to Homebrews.

MOVEMENT: 9, 12 (through stone)

Earth glide?

They have a humanoid form-two legs, two arms, and a head. In their normal state they do not possess the defined features of humanoids, such as distinctive muscles, fingers, ears, eyes, and mouths. However, grivelings that are used to dealing with or observing humans and demihumans alter their forms via a limited, yet natural, stone shape ability so they appear to have human-like facial features, digits, and clothes, mimicking the humans and demihumans they have seen. Many of the grivelings that live in the Barrier Peaks have the visages of Zurt, Summerstorm, Endoble, the First Protector, and the various guises of the Exalted One. Often the grivelings are not able to duplicate a humanoid face correctly, and the result is unusual or humorous, with eyes placed below mouths or odd-shaped ears in incorrect locations. Males and females are indistinguishable.

Change shape with a penalty on Disguise checks to imitate someone?

Because grivelings can see through rock and dirt as easily as others see through the air,

How's this?

Earthsight (Su): Grivelings can see through earth and stone as if it were air. As a result, barriers constructed of these materials never break line of sight for a griveling.

they lie in wait inside the wall of a cave or other stone or dirt structure, and move part of their body out of the structure to fight, usually surprising opponents from behind or beneath. When grivelings remain attached to a stone wall, such as the side of a cavern, their Armor Class is -1. When they separate from the wall to engage opponents in melee or if they are attached to the earth, their Armor Class is reduced to 2.

When possible, grivelings use their surroundings to the utmost advantage during combat. For example, grivelings surprising their opponents often strike during one round of combat, and then move into the stone wall the next-only to emerge the following round from a different place in an attempt to surprise their opponents again.

Does earth glide suffice, or modify something like this?

Meld with Stone (Sp): A relief golem can enter a stone surface as a standard action as per the spell meld with stone. While inside the wall, any carvings or paintings on the wall shift and alter to accommodate the image of the relief golem that appears where it has merged. A relief golem can see and hear out of the stone surface that it is melded with. This effect lasts until the relief golem decides to exit the stone. The caster level for this effect is equal to the relief golem's Hit Dice. Casting stone shape on a wall containing a relief golem forces it to leave immediately.

Phase Door (Sp): A relief golem can walk through wood, plaster, and stone walls at will as per the spell phase door as a standard action. Such portals can only be used once and the relief golem cannot take other creatures through. The caster level for this effect is equal to the relief golem's Hit Dice.

Grivelings also use their spell-like abilities during combat. A griveling can perform any of the following, once per day: stoneskin, transmute rock to mud, transmute mud to rock, and dig as if it were an 8th-level wizard.

Spell-Like Abilities: 1/day—move earth, stoneskin, transmute mud to rock, transmute rock to mud. Caster level 8th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Because grivelings are not affected by the climate, they are not affected by normal cold or fire attacks or cold-based spells. However, magical heat and fire spells affect them.

Immunity to cold and see below.

Further, because of their hard skins, + 1 or better weapons are needed to injure them.

Stick with standard DR 5/- of earth elementals?

They are not affected by a change in climate.

Give them ability that they never need to make Fortitude saves to avoid nonlethal damage in regions of extreme temperatures?

Because they have observed the occupants of the vale for so long, they have acquired the common tongue, which they speak in slow, gravely tones. In addition, they speak a smattering of mountain dwarf and their own language.

Grivelings speak Common, Dwarven, and Terran in slow, gravely tones?

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I prefer DR 10/magic, like a gargoyle.

Languages sound good, change shape with penalties sounds good, earth glide would suffice. Mention in their tactics that grievlings prefer to fight partially embedded in the rock, gaining the benefits of cover.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Fair enough.

Updated.

Regarding the "taking humanoid appearance", I think change shape may be too much for this ability. Looking at it again...

They have a humanoid form-two legs, two arms, and a head. In their normal state they do not possess the defined features of humanoids, such as distinctive muscles, fingers, ears, eyes, and mouths. However, grivelings that are used to dealing with or observing humans and demihumans alter their forms via a limited, yet natural, stone shape ability so they appear to have human-like facial features, digits, and clothes, mimicking the humans and demihumans they have seen. Many of the grivelings that live in the Barrier Peaks have the visages of Zurt, Summerstorm, Endoble, the First Protector, and the various guises of the Exalted One. Often the grivelings are not able to duplicate a humanoid face correctly, and the result is unusual or humorous, with eyes placed below mouths or odd-shaped ears in incorrect locations. Males and females are indistinguishable.

...it might be more akin to a mimic...

Mimic Shape (Ex): A mimic can assume the general shape of any object that fills roughly 150 cubic feet (5 feet by 5 feet by 6 feet), such as a massive chest, a stout bed, or a wide door frame. The creature cannot substantially alter its size, though. A mimic’s body is hard and has a rough texture, no matter what appearance it might present. Anyone who examines the mimic can detect the ruse with a successful Spot check opposed by the mimic’s Disguise check. Of course, by this time it is generally far too late.

...but limited to the alterations listed above. Thoughts?

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I'm not even sure it has to be an ability. Mention in the flavor text that, on their home plane, grivelings are featureless humanoids more like elementals, but on the Material Plane have subtly shaped their features to look more like Material Plane life, to limited success.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Good point. It doesn't really functionally effect anything.

Updated.

Skills: 32
Diplomacy, Knowledge (geography), and Spot all seem appropriate. What else?

Feats: 2

Organization: Pair or clan (3-24)

Challenge Rating: 4? They are slightly better than Medium Earth elementals.

Treasure: Standard (communal)?

Alignment: Usually neutral good?

Advancement: 6-15 HD (Medium)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads