Coolest. Gaming Set-up. Evar.

JDragon

Explorer
I'm going to pitch hard for the TV option. We're 6 months into playing on the TV surface, and it's almost all good. It's amazing what a relief it is to get rid of the noise projectors kick out, for one thing. And depending upon your rig, it's actually a lot simpler than the projector to deal with.

The biggest problems we have, at this point, have been little things -- breaking the habit of rolling dice on the TV, for one thing. ;)

-rg

Thanks for the response. I'm leaning toward the TV but want to hear/ see what others are doing. Oh and I gotta get the wife to go for it. :p

What kind / size TV are you using?

I have heard about some people removing them from the case to be able to use PC fans to help with cooling and such.

Any chance you have any pictures of how you have it mounted and your table you could share?

Thanks

JD

Radiating Gnome

Adventurer
Any chance you have any pictures of how you have it mounted and your table you could share?

I've thrown on a couple of pictures so you can get an idea. The table is two crappy plastic folding tables (legs bungeed together for a more stable base). The TV is one designed to be mounted on a wall, so it lays pretty flat, but I needed to put books under the four corners -- luckily, the 4e books softcover books are just the right size.

I've cut a couple of pieces of foam board to fit into the depression of the screen when we're not playing, since the TV stays on the table full time. I have enough space beneath it to run the power and hdmi cables. I've also picked up some mylar film that I've cut to fit the screen surface -- it offers a measure of protection against pen marks, and cuts down on the glare a little (not that glare is much of a problem, really).

Here's the TV I got: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0077E493G/ref=oh_details_o01_s01_i00

IMG_0791.JPG

IMG_0772.JPG

IMG_0771.JPG

JDragon

Explorer
Thanks for sharing the pics.

If I went the TV route I was planning on mounting it flush with the table top (with a sheet of lexan over it ), with another layer of wood that would go over it to set up other games.

Have you had any issues with it being on its back vs upright?

Thanks

JD

Last edited:

Radiating Gnome

Adventurer
If I went the TV route I was planning on mounting it flush with the table top (with a sheet of lexan over it ), with another layer of wood that would go over it to set up other games.

Have you had any issues with it being on its back vs upright?

First, no, we have not had any problems with it being on it's back, although you need to make sure that if you do this you get an LCD/LED TV, not a plasma screen -- plasma screens must stay upright to work.

I have plans for a table I'm hoping to have built that would allow the TV to be raised and lowered -- and covered up when it's not in use. I did, however, do a lot of serious thinking about the idea of putting lexan over the screen, and decided against it because of the distortion in position it will create for players sitting in different places around the table.

Think about this: You've got maybe 1/8th of an inch between the screen and the edge of the frame it's in -- then you're probably going to need at least 1/4" lexan to be sturdy enough avoid sagging, etc. That means that you've got almost 1/2" between the bottom of your figures and the things you're looking at on the map.

distortion.png

This ugly drawing -- which is slightly exaggerated for effect -- illustrates the problem. If you have two players sitting on opposite sides of the table, looking down at a 45 degree angle, they're going to see that mini in VERY different places on the map. 45 degrees makes the math super easy --- if the figure is elevated 3/8 of an inch above the screen, it will appear 3/8 away from it's true position to a player viewing it at that angle. But the player on the other side will see it 3/8 of an inch off it's true position in the OTHER direction -- so they'll see it 3/4 of an inch off from where the other player sees it.

So, my dream table is one that lets me raise the TV from below up to flush with the table -- and when the TV is lowered there are leaves that I can drop into place to turn it into a more "normal" table.

GeekChic has a version of this basic idea -- or, they had one at Gencon. The TV rested in a portal-style table, in a rig with some hydraulics that would allow it to be elevated up -- I don't think it came quite up to vertical. I'm not sure what they achieve with that functionality, but with the TV laid flat, the leaves could be laid out on the table to conceal the TV.

Still, they didn't have anything thick enough on top of the TV that would create any distortion.

I might be totally wrong -- and you might find that it works for you, but I seriously encourage you to find a way to experiment with the idea before you invest any serious resources in a plan that includes that sort of cover over the TV.

-rg

JDragon

Explorer
Thanks for the great information. I had not thought about the distortion a cover would cause.

I had heard the plasma could be an issue but thanks for confirming and indicating what would be safe to use.

Maybe I will just do a small lip around where the TV is to prevent drinks from getting to it if spilled.

Food for thought.

JD

I got it for x-mas in 06' so got almost 6 years of use out of it. I may take it to a local computer repair place to see if they might be able to do something but I'm not holding my breath.
Worst that can happen is that a repair shop will tell you it'll cost too much to even look at it or that repairs will amount to as much as a new projector anyway. But it could also be something simple or even easy to fix. First thing that occurs to me is BULB. It might be a model that won't do anything if the bulb is burned out - or the TIMER measuring bulb life has run out. It might be a bad fan. Most projectors aren't gonna do much if they detect that fan doesn't work cuz they don't wanna melt themselves down from the bulb heat without it. If you get no lights or activity at all though the first suspect is power supply. If so then a lot will depend on the make and model as to whether a replacement power supply is readily available and at what cost. If it's otherwise dead to you anyway then it's not gonna hurt a thing to lug it to a shop and get a second opinion.

WampusCat43

Explorer
We just finished our 4th session with a 55" Coby LED and the results have been excellent. It's less than 2" thick, and the power/HDMI ports point to the side, so that they don't raise the playing field at all. I had a sheet of plexiglass cut to cover the whole thing (I could have had it cut to fit down in the frame and rest right on top of the screen, but that would have only gained us about 1/4" and exposed us to the possibility of someone spilling a drink down into the edge of it. And well, some of us like to drink). Because the TV is so flat, it sits low enough on the table that discerning which square you're on has not been a problem. 1300 square inches of gaming good goodness.

WampusCat43

Explorer
Because you asked, and I enjoy your blog, I'm going to make a feeble attempt here. Our regular camera broke, so these are cellphone images.

The first image is a map I cobbled together to depict a village in a swamp. I'd like to give credit to cartographers, but don't recall them. The village is on the left, and I added a dock, ship and warehouse on the right. We had a titanic battle with a tribe of lizardmen recently, which included my first kill using the DNDNext rules.
WP_000052.jpg
Shows the image from the side, hand inserted to show that the whole thing is only 3 fingers high.
WP_000053.jpg
Our heroes enjoy a rousing game of online Ticket to Ride. I could use HO gauge trains on this thing.
WP_000054.jpg
Ugh. From table level. The black in the background is the set itself, and the grey line is the plexiglass. There's just enough clearance that you can slide papers under it, but dice won't get away from you (much).
WP_000059.jpg
Here you see the same angle, showing the power cord and HDMI cable coming out the side.
WP_000060.jpg

WampusCat43

Explorer
Because you asked, and I enjoy your blog, I'm going to make a feeble attempt here. Our regular camera broke, so these are cellphone images.

The first image is a map I cobbled together to depict a village in a swamp. I'd like to give credit to cartographers, but don't recall them. The village is on the left, and I added a dock, ship and warehouse on the right. We had a titanic battle with a tribe of lizardmen recently, which included my first kill using the DNDNext rules.
View attachment 56384
Shows the image from the side, hand inserted to show that the whole thing is only 3 fingers high. The whiteboard in the background is our former table, and we were amused to find the results of a fantasy football draft we'd had years ago on the other side (Jon Kitna - really?).
View attachment 56385
Our heroes enjoy a rousing game of online Ticket to Ride. I could use HO gauge trains on this thing.
View attachment 56386
From table level. The black in the background is the set itself, and the grey line is the plexiglass. There's just enough clearance that you can slide papers under the TV, but dice won't get away from you.
View attachment 56387
Here you see the same angle, showing the power cord and HDMI cable coming out the side.
View attachment 56388

Last edited:

Remove ads