• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Coolest Thing PC's Have Ever Done

Nadaka

First Post
Our party of IIRC level 8s fought a huge black dragon.

Our first encounter was on our way over a wall into an evil fortress. We were not prepared. We ended up running into the fortress to regroup. We loaded up on acid resistance and a few other buffs and headed back out. We peppered it with ranged fire and spells to little effect, but miraculously it failed a save against some splat book super sleep or something that managed to knock it out and it came crashing down through the roof of the fortress. This gave our berzerker and paladin a chance to move in and start hitting it with attacks that could actually deal a little damage.

The tide of the battle had turned and in the confined space of the fortress hall the dragon had lost its great advantage. It ascended to the ceiling and began to crawl out the hole it made on the way down. By chance we lassoed the beast before it made a getaway. But its strength was still great and the entire party was lifted into the air as we held onto the rope. One by one we tried and failed to hold the beast back. Finally, with one arm holding the rope and the other grasping the splintered beams of the room our berzerker summoned all his strength and held the dragon fast. Our paladin scaled the rope and our swordsage teleported up and together unleashed their greatest attacks. In the end the paladin smote the dragon and we all came crashing down.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Two characters, Black Adder (2e Bard, me) and Creeping Shadow (2e Thief), encountered a Green Dragon that was far too tough for them to take on one-on-one. They had recently come upon a slew of low-value gems, and also happened upon a ship's cannon. Well, one thing led to another, and the Dragon was felled by a colorful display of cannon-powered buckshot.

Same two characters suffered the wrath of a Wizard that was far too tough to take on one-on-one, and were polymorphed into a snake (me) and a frog. We retained our intelligence, thankfully, and so we undertook The Incredible Journey to find another Wizard to change us back. The snake could move faster than the frog, so the frog rode in the snake's gullet, occasionally being regurgitated so as not to be consumed by the snake's digestive juices.

LurkMonkey

First Post
The party I was GMing in a Planescape game was investigating the disappearance/death of several Hive residents in Sigil. They needed to contact a Xaositect they had met earlier. Being relatively brave/foolish they decided to travel to the Hive (the central Hive district of the Hive Ward) where the Xaositect faction was enjoying a party at Quake Lavender's mobile tavern. At the small hours of the night, no less.

They arrive, and manage to get the attention of their contact and start having a discussion outside the abandoned warehouse Quake is using for a tavern this particular night. Unfortuantely, their contact was the focus of a power struggle with one of his lieutenants, who has a dim view of all non-Xaositects. He decides to start trouble, and gathers his supporters up for a good old-fashioned brawl.

So now the party (of eight characters) and a few Xaositect 'allies' face about 15 hostile Xaosmen and a surrounding crowd of 50-odd Xaositecs who have been attracted by the fracas, and are waiting to see what fun develops.

One of the party members, a canny native Cager Godsman with a lot of ranks in Knowledge(Sigil) notices that the Factol (if one can call him that) of the entire Xaos faction, Karan, is in the crowd. Thinking quickly, he yells out a bit of a speech about how they were there to help their faction solve a problem and they were getting grief. He rolls a natural 20 on his Diplomacy. Thanks to the 'crit' Diplomacy roll, and the mercurial nature of Xaositects in general, I decided to have Factol Karan intervene and put his blessing on the party and their Xaositect allies. Although the opposition didn't agree, Karan's juice among the namers allowed him to tell the scheming lieutenant to pike it.

So the party was allowed to depart the Hive unscathed, and I got a great BBEG for a later encounter! All in all a memorable session.;)

Chainsaw

Banned
Banned
Our group had no luck killing a water elemental hiding in the bottom of well, so, in sheer frustration, we all relieved our bladders and bowels into it, hoping we could pollute it's habitat. Good times.

ffanxii4ever

First Post
In a Star Wars Saga Edition game, I was the only Jedi left in the group (the rest of them died) and we got caught in a massive firefight with some Imperial troupers and a few AT-ST's. And all of a sudden, we see a pair of AT-AT's approaching our position. Seeing those heading towards us, I told the other PCs to hold on a sec, while I Surged towards them, leaded atop of one, cut my way through its hatch, killed all on the Imperials inside of it, and then proceeded to guide it into the other AT-AT nearby, causing the two of them to collide and collapse to the ground, as I made my escape. Needless to say, that was one of the more interesting and fun encounters I had in that game.

MortonStromgal

First Post
The 3.0 game I met my wife in was pretty funny. The GM had a rule that 3 20s in a row killed anything instantly and that 1 is an auto fail. So we are running away from a Balor I think we were around 3rd or 4th level and everyone is out of spells except my Bard who still has some 0 levels left. So I use ghost sound, DM rolls a 1 (he had everyone roll in the middle of the table) the Druid (my wife) says heck we are dead anyway I'll take a wack at it... 20, 20, 20... Balor defeated by a cantrip and a pointed stick...

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
The GM had a rule that 3 20s in a row killed anything instantly and that 1 is an auto fail.
I had a DM with that rule back in the 1E days. We were about 14 years old, I think.

The DM had an NPC sell me a super-expensive poison guaranteed to kill "anything." When we squared off against Arioch (Evil God from the Melnibonéan mythos), I rolled three natural 20's in a row to successfully toss the poison down his throat as he yelled at us. The DM took it all in stride and said "He is a god; he only fails his save on a '1.'"

He rolled a '1.'

Ah, good times.

Drakmor

Explorer
I was running a 3.5 game and we were trying out the three 20s in a row rule and called shots.

They were going through a heavily trapped dungeon but the rogue was refusing to search for traps, and one particular player kept having his character run, thinking his saving throws were high enough. Another character (a bard) would not stfu about said situation, which is reasonable, but then started moving on to saying things to the rest of the party.

One of the other characters (and the player) were getting very annoyed at the bard's non-stop talking and decided to make a called shot to his groin, won initiative and rolled three 20s in a row.

In fairness however she (a cleric) did raise him afterwards.

dicechild

First Post
Introduction

I once had a group of players in the intro to a game throw me off a bit. Three of the characters decided to go to the shops in town and see what they could find, but one troublemaker decided to go find a local pub and start a good old fashioned brawl. It was a 3.5E game, and he was a level 2 half-giant fighter. Upon entering the bar he immediately threw a table at the nearest group of men and hit them all for light damage, but nothing significant. He was assaulted by 8 different NPC's of varying levels, but including one level 4 fighter that I had planned to use as a recruiter for one of the local bandit groups. The half-giant picked up two chairs and used them as improvised weapons with reach. He ended up a whirling dervish in the center of the room and knocked all the NPC's unconcious.

The other PC's arrived at the same time as the guard, and managed to convince them (through 2 different 20 diplomacy checks for captain and leutenient) that their fighter was really a hero who had just saved the town from an evil bandit raid... As GM I even had the fighter presented with a medal of citizenship... all for starting a brawl

Hodgie

First Post
I was running a modified 3.5e version of Age of Worms battle in the arena. I had introduced Alric the gladiator a dozen or so session earlier and he was a well respected NPC. Things had been going rough for the party for a few sessions and so they were getting angry/bitter. We had some house rules that made it fairly hard to die, but some power gamers that facilitated high damage PCs. Basically, it was unlikely that the PCs would kill anyone in the arena even if they didn't hold back.

Statistics were not their friend and they killed a half-dozen foes in the first few rounds.

When they faced Alric and his crew, I had Alric give a quick speech about what it meant to be a true champion, that champions knew how to still their blade, that he would teach them the meaning of heroism. Then Alric challenged the party leader to single combat. The player accepted.

Initiative is called. The player rolls a 20. The player steps up to Alric and unleashes all he has. The player rolls a 20. The player deal enough damage to kill Alric outright.

We have a number of records we keep track of, one being "highest single attack damage." This attack holds the record.

Remove ads