• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Core Handbook Errors Discussion

WOLead

First Post
PHB, p.141
Doomsayer's Proclamation deals with powers that are effect type Fear and have Saving Throws attached to those effects. Basically, its makes an enemy close by you have about 68% chance of failing a saving throw against Fear effects against the standard 45% chance of failure.

I went and searched to see what skills would be useful for that Paragon Feature...
I found three, Dread Star is a level 1 Daily Attack Power that has a Fear type effect that requires a saving throw for -2 Will Def until they make their saving throw.

The other two? They aren't even in the Warlock's skill list. They are the Paladin's Astral Weapon Daily Power Astral Whirlwind for -2 to all Def until they make their saving throw. The other is Prismatic Spray, a Wizard level 25 Daily attack power for stun and maybe slow.

So, am I missing anything there? Cause as great as the Doomsayer's Proclamation sounded when I read it, there just isn't anything except a level 1 Daily to use with it as a Warlock.

silentounce

First Post
WOLead said:
PHB, p.141
Doomsayer's Proclamation deals with powers that are effect type Fear and have Saving Throws attached to those effects. Basically, its makes an enemy close by you have about 68% chance of failing a saving throw against Fear effects against the standard 45% chance of failure.

I went and searched to see what skills would be useful for that Paragon Feature...
I found three, Dread Star is a level 1 Daily Attack Power that has a Fear type effect that requires a saving throw for -2 Will Def until they make their saving throw.

The other two? They aren't even in the Warlock's skill list. They are the Paladin's Astral Weapon Daily Power Astral Whirlwind for -2 to all Def until they make their saving throw. The other is Prismatic Spray, a Wizard level 25 Daily attack power for stun and maybe slow.

So, am I missing anything there? Cause as great as the Doomsayer's Proclamation sounded when I read it, there just isn't anything except a level 1 Daily to use with it as a Warlock.

That kind of makes the Bold halfling ability kind of weak as well. And the Astral Weapons' 16th level ability. I'm assuming some magic items also fall into this category. Unless a lot of monsters have fear powers.

That brings up another question. The justicar's 16th level ability grants adjacent allies immunity to fear and charm effects. That seems pretty powerful. I mean, I know that you divide the damage if a power has more than one damage type, but neither charm nor fear is a damage type. It's an effect type. So, how does this work? Do they take the damage, but suffer from no "effect" listed. What if there isn't anything listed under the heading "Effect". Some powers have the keyword listed, but don't have an "Effect" entry. No explanation is give in the PHB. Also, does the justicar also have this immunity? It doesn't say anywhere that they would, just that their adjacent allies do.

Zsig

Explorer
Wisdom Penalty said:
PHB, p. 71.

Level 23 Enc Prayer - Haunting Strike

Level 27 Enc Prayer - Punishing Strike

Ouch. As someone else pointed same thing happens with two fighter powers (Steel Serpent Strike vs. Dance of Steel).

WOLead said:

Not sure if it counts as well but Terror Weapons have a Fear effect that ends with a save.

Anyway, the ability still sucks (Doomsayer's). But it has potential to become something useful in the future with new splatbooks and such.

chaotix42

First Post
silentounce said:
That kind of makes the Bold halfling ability kind of weak as well. And the Astral Weapons' 16th level ability. I'm assuming some magic items also fall into this category. Unless a lot of monsters have fear powers.

Oh, there are a good amount of Fear effects with saves in the MM. The halflings and Astral Weapons will be happy they have those bonuses to fear saves when they go up against dragons for instance.

That brings up another question. The justicar's 16th level ability grants adjacent allies immunity to fear and charm effects. That seems pretty powerful. I mean, I know that you divide the damage if a power has more than one damage type, but neither charm nor fear is a damage type. It's an effect type. So, how does this work? Do they take the damage, but suffer from no "effect" listed. What if there isn't anything listed under the heading "Effect". Some powers have the keyword listed, but don't have an "Effect" entry. No explanation is give in the PHB. Also, does the justicar also have this immunity? It doesn't say anywhere that they would, just that their adjacent allies do.

In the colored header above a monster's power the keywords are listed. If it says Fear or Charm then any allies adjacent to the Justiciar are immune to the effects of the power, including damage.

silentounce

First Post
chaotix42 said:
In the colored header above a monster's power the keywords are listed. If it says Fear or Charm then any allies adjacent to the Justiciar are immune to the effects of the power, including damage.

But the Justicar himself isn't immune? That's a bit weird, story wise. He's keeping the others from being afraid of the dragon, but he might be soiling his armor at the same time.

Zsig said:
Anyway, the ability still sucks (Doomsayer's). But it has potential to become something useful in the future with new splatbooks and such.

I've seen so many comments like this on here. This isn't directed at you, zsig, but why is this okay? The core books should stand on their own. A useless power like this shouldn't have made the core book, simple. This is the problem you get when you start cutting stuff from the core to save for later supplements. If you take a "balanced" system and then separate stuff out for space, you won't have a balanced system until you get those parts back. They probably didn't even notice this because they have access to stuff they've already written but haven't realeased yet. Or, hell, maybe they did know it.

Have people become that used to splat book syndrome? Yeah, TSR had their fair share of expansions. But I'm sure a lot of us saw this coming when the creators of MAGIC took over. Don't get me wrong, they've done a lot for the game. But they are also good at churning out the carrots to put in front of the horse.

Last edited:

windoze9x

First Post
Either I've been playing wrong for YEARS or this is an error.

PHB pg.8 -- "So a 10 on the tens die and a 7 on the ones die is a result of 7 (not 107!)."

Wouldn't it be 17? Wouldn't a 7 require a 00 on the tens die and a 7 on the ones? Or am I on crack?

edit: nevermind I think I get it. but they should make this more clear. since most modern die have one d10 as (10,20,30,40,etc.) and one as (1,2,3). making it sound like if you have that type that a 10 and a 7 would be 7.

Last edited:

WOLead

First Post
Might as well place another:

PHB p.133

Frigid Darkness says "target grants combat advantage to your enemies until ..."

I'm pretty sure thats either supposed to be "his enemies" or "you and your allies."

Went and did a Google search to make sure this one hasn't been posted yet.

silentounce

First Post
windoze9x said:
Either I've been playing wrong for YEARS or this is an error.

PHB pg.8 -- "So a 10 on the tens die and a 7 on the ones die is a result of 7 (not 107!)."

Wouldn't it be 17? Wouldn't a 7 require a 00 on the tens die and a 7 on the ones? Or am I on crack?

edit: nevermind I think I get it. but they should make this more clear. since most modern die have one d10 as (10,20,30,40,etc.) and one as (1,2,3). making it sound like if you have that type that a 10 and a 7 would be 7.

Heh, I don't think you can get d10s anymore that are numbered 1-10 instead of 0-9, can you? Well, anyway, they aren't standard. I think the only "d10"s that I have that are numbered 1-10 are actually 20 sided with each number on two faces from back in the day. We were purists back then. Modern d10s aren't even regular polyhedrons (Platonic solids), those bastards! :D

Last edited:

Flazzy

First Post
Both Deathknights in the MM seem to be adding incorrect values as their + to damage, and the fighter has the elusive Containing Strike at-will which was supposedly cut from the PHB (but appears in the Steel Grace Swordmaster path feature)

Remove ads