• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Core Rules Survivor

Uder

First Post
Skills. With skills, why spend so much of the books and so much design time (DM-wise) on rolls that are either never used or nearly always succeed?

Feats. Remember when someone in AD&D took the fire-building proficiency? Suddenly nobody knew how to build a fire any more except that one guy. Feats are like that to me. Any time you make a list of things one person could do, it also becomes by default a list of things everyone else can't.

Ability scores perfectly mapped by a mathematical formula to ability bonuses. Why bother with ability scores any more? Just use the bonuses. Oh, I know they use them for feat prereqs, but see above.

Ambrus

Explorer
Ooh. How about the utterly pointless monk & paladin multi-classing experience penalties?
The game designers responsible for it admit that it doesn't affect game-balance in the least. :mad:

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Wilphe said:
1) Favoured Class
2) Multiclassing penalties
Nice! Those are hated indeed. I'm going to lump these into a single item; 2 causes less pain without 1.

Ambrus said:
utterly pointless monk & paladin multi-classing
Aaaah, I feel the hate is strong in this one, too! :D

Thanks, -- N

DogBackward

First Post
Ambrus said:
My real skill beef is with Spot and Search. Are two visual acuity skills really necessary? I understand that the former is reflexive while the later is proactive, but it certainly seems like unnecessary hair-splitting to me.
Not that I wholeheartedly agree with., even in a normal game.

As for actual problems with the system... I have way too many to list, a lot of which have been covered here. Most of mine, however, are changes rather than removing things, so wouldn't fit here.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads