Corrupted Template

graydoom

First Post
Re: Re: Corrupted Template

drowdude said:
Character Level X 2 X 1000 gp would be a good guideline to use.
I like this idea.
Also I would have them be able to cast use their spell-like ability as a sorcerer of their character level. Maybe give them an additional use per day for every 5 character levels too.
I like this idea too, though I think giving additional uses as the character gets to a higher level shouldn't be done... just leave it at one use per day.

Overall, I agree that this template would be a +2 CR.

trentonjoe

Explorer
Thanks for the help.

I added the gold piece value for the magical "gift" and added the additional spells at higher levels.

I ran this guy last night and he held his own in combat against a 10th level monk. He would have lost eventually but he did all right. He got his butt swifted kicked when surronded by a 7th level party though. He seems pretty close to Cr 7.

Thanks for the input and more opinions are welcome.

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
Alternate Corrupted Template

This is a cool idea you came up with for making alternate witch types. Here is my take on the Corrupted to make it a bit more flexible. Not all those who make an infernal pact want the same thing, after all...

Corrupted Template (Alternate)
To qualify, a humanoid must make a pact with Evil outsider. In exchange for the humanoid’s service (generally for life) and/or soul, the fiend grants the humanoid great powers to help in commiting evil acts. So long as the humanoid does not break the pact, they receive all the benefits of this template; should they break the pact, all template benefits are immediately lost until the humanoid appeases the fiend (if possible). Note that the corrupted radiates evil under a detect evil spell as an evil creature of its character level or full HD.

AC: +1 natural armor
Abilities: +2 to any three ability scores of corrupted’s choice
Feats: Choose any two from the following list of thirteen: Ability focus (+2 DC to one spell-like ability), alertness, attractive appearance (+2 to bluff and diplomacy checks vs those of similar race and an additional +2 vs those of similar race who
are attracted to your gender), blooded (FR), cosmopolitan (FR), extra spell (grants one additional use per day of one spell-like ability), silver tongue (+2 bluff and diplomacy), improved initiative, scent (MM), spell focus, skill focus, thug (FR), toughness.
SA: spell choice -see below
SQ: Poison Immunity, Fear Immunity, Darkvision (60 ft.) or original vision +30 ft.
CR: +2 (+1 if encountered without its special magic item)
Other: The fiend who makes a deal with the corrupted often gives a magic item as a "gift" to it. The magic item should be worth no more than the character's level X 2,000 gp. The item will always appear to be extremely valuable and of exquisite craftmanship but is subtly (or obviously) evil (and radiates as evil if detected for, of a level equal to the HD of the fiend who bestowed it). The item is supernaturally attuned to the corrupted and will function only for it or for the fiend who bestowed
the item. The item cannot be used to attack the fiend who bestowed it or else it is automatically destroyed.

A typical item (or matched set) bestowed on a 1st level corrupted might be any of the following:

a set of +1 armor and +1 shield,
a +1 weapon,
a +1 ring of protection,
a ring of skill (+10 competence bonus to one skill appropriate to the corrupted---inspired by ring of climbing in DMG),
a set of +1 bracers of armor and +1 cloak of resistance,
a hat of disguise,
a heart of the beast (MoF),
a heward’s handy haversack,
a horn of fog,
a pair of slippers of spider climbing,
a vest of escape.

Spells:
The corrupted creature can choose one of the following spells to be cast once per day as a sorcerer of the character's level:

bane,
burning hands,
cause fear,
change self,
charm kiss (as charm person but DC +2 and can only be used against those of opposite sex and similar race; caster must touch his lips to exposed flesh of subject. Somatic component only),
charm person,
chill touch,
color spray (appears as black mist with grinning white skulls),
corrosive grasp (MoF),
detect gold (RR),
detect magic,
disappear (RR),
doom,
endure elements,
faith healing (MoF),
flame bolt (RR),
forcewave (MoF),
horizakaul’s boom (MoF),
identify,
inflict light wounds,
kauper’s skittish nerves (MoF),
magic missile,
magic weapon,
obscuring mist,
protection from chaos (granted by lawful fiends only),
protection from good,
protection from law (granted by chaotic fiends only),
ray of enfeeblement,
shield,
shield of faith,
shocking grasp,
sleep,
speed swim (MoF),
spider climb,
summon monster I (evil creatures only),
summon undead I (MoF),
true strike,
wieldskill (MoF).

The corrupted character gets to choose a second spell at 5th level, a third spell at 10th level, a fourth spell at 15th level, and a fifth spell at 20th level. Alternately, the corrupted character may opt to receive one additional use per day of a preexisting spell in place of learning a new one.

*** Opinions welcome! ;)

Edit: Added CR notation regarding encountering a Corrupted without their special magic item.

Last edited:

drowdude

First Post
Nice take on it. I like the added flexibility. ;)

I think there should be a note that the CR goes down by 1 if the Corrupted doesnt have the extra magic item on them when encountered.

The item is the only thing that really gives it a CR edge over the other templates.

graydoom

First Post
Nice alternate version. The choice of abilities does make a lot of sense... after all, this template is for those who "make a deal with the devil." Each corrupted character's bargain would have been different, and the Kaptain_Kantrip's alternate corrupted template reflects that. Good job!

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
Glad you enjoyed it!

I'd like some way for the Corrupted to get a familiar. What about in place of a feat provided by the template? After all, what's a witch without a familiar? The familiar should maybe advance according to the corrupted's HD/total level rather than class level (since this isn't a class but a template).

One other thing: Would the CR+2 equal an ECL +2? So a first level corrupted would need more XP (as per FRCS) to advance to 2nd level?

Last edited:

drowdude

First Post
ECL +2 is about right.... but the magic item can potentially throw that off a bit depending on what the DM allows the corrupted to take.

Adding a familiar is a neat idea.

Or maybe they could get a Fiendish Companion like that of the Blackguard once the reach 11 HD...

Or at the point they could add the Fiendish Template to an existing familiar.

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
Giving up a feat for a familiar seems reasonable, I think. I also think that if they do give up a feat for a familiar, that they could use their other feat to get Improved Familiar (FR) or one of the other familiar feats from Dragon #280 (sorcerer issue).

BTW: At WoTC's D&D site (under Spellbook) they have a new cleric spell (3rd level) called "planar familiar" that transforms a familiar into an outsider (adding celestial or fiendish template, maybe elemental too, I forget).

drowdude

First Post
Kaptain_Kantrip said:
Giving up a feat for a familiar seems reasonable, I think. I also think that if they do give up a feat for a familiar, that they could use their other feat to get Improved Familiar (FR) or one of the other familiar feats from Dragon #280 (sorcerer issue).

BTW: At WoTC's D&D site (under Spellbook) they have a new cleric spell (3rd level) called "planar familiar" that transforms a familiar into an outsider (adding celestial or fiendish template, maybe elemental too, I forget).

Hadnt seen those before... kewl, well then... since it's that easy to add those templates I suppose there is no real advantage to my suggestion. :(

Well, I use a "Acquire Familiar" feat IMC that allows a non-spell-caster to bond a familiar. Functions in all ways as a sorcerer's familiar except that you only count 1/2 your character level when determing it's powers. The feat also allows sorcerers and wizards to use their character level to determine the power of the familiar rather than the related class level.

Just a thought. :)

Remove ads