Corrupted Template

Artoomis

First Post
Kaptain_Kantrip said:
Giving up a feat for a familiar seems reasonable, I think. I also think that if they do give up a feat for a familiar, that they could use their other feat to get Improved Familiar (FR) or one of the other familiar feats from Dragon #280 (sorcerer issue).

BTW: At WoTC's D&D site (under Spellbook) they have a new cleric spell (3rd level) called "planar familiar" that transforms a familiar into an outsider (adding celestial or fiendish template, maybe elemental too, I forget).

I think that the "Planar Familiar" spell has been superceded by the Improved Familiar feat and the rules for getting an unusual mount, both of which, I think, have been published since the planar familiar spell was put out on the WotC site.

the Jester

Legend
Have you seen the 'Evil' book? I think it's by AEG... it has cool "infernal feats" in it, which evil characters use to gain abilities at the cost of their souls... the first feat basically sells your soul, and after that they allow a variety of cool things (resistance to disease, shapechanging, etc.) Cool book, I recommend you check it out for ideas if nothing else.

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
Yes, I own EVIL by AEG and liked it, though it has not proven particularly useful to me as yet (and the sheer number of spelling errors in it makes my head swim!). I did not bother referencing EVIL for this template, because the infernal feats in EVIL seemed a bit higher-powered (if memory serves me right) than the ECL/CR+2 parameters this template called for. There was also some doubt being expressed by some community members as to the advisability of using the infernal feats due to balance issues ("is a powerful feat balanced by gaining an accompanying curse/side effect"?). That said (and me not knowing the answer, LOL), I liked the infernal feats in EVIL. If you prefer to allow them as bonus feats with this template, more power to you. My other main reason for excluding them was that I was trying to use as little non-WoTC material as possible in the template to ensure the most number of people would find it useful, but feel free to tinker with it all you want. :D

Just let us know what you come up with so we can take a look, too! Keep the suggestions and comments coming and thanks to all for the feedback!

Last edited:

trentonjoe

Explorer
Going back to the life after death point......

Last week I ran the prototype (Tyrmik the goblin thief) against the PC's and they killed him (mostly my fault he should have been able to het away). They promptly took all his equiptment and buried him.

I'm thinking about making him rise as an undead creature. I'm not enitrely sure but I think a ghast. This to me is part of his punishment/ duty. It's like his master demon is now saying, "Well, you failed the first time. Let's see what happens this way. If you amuse me maybe you can keep this form, if not I'll turn you into a lemure."

I think I'll give the ghast some of his former abilities, for sure his free spell and ability bonuses.

I'll post the new creature when I'm done.

I might make him a shadow or shade though.

trentonjoe

Explorer
THis is what Tymrik looks like after his own death.

Trymik
5th level corrupted Goblin Thief turned Ghast (Undead)
Hitdice: 8d12+3 = 68
Initiative: +10 (dex +6, improved iniative)
SPeed: 30
AC: 25 ( chain shirt +4, dex +6, natural armor +5)
Attacks: Bite +10 melee ; 2 claws +5melee; or dagger +10 ranged
Damage:Bite 1d8 +3 plus paralysis; claw 1d4 +1 plus parlaysis; daggers 1-4 +3
Face: 5x5
Special Attacks: sneak attack 3d6, stench, paralysis,
Special Qualities: Posion Immunity, Fear Immunity, Darkvision 90 ft, undead, +3 turn resistance; can cast shield spell 1/day
Saves: Fort: For +1, Relex +7, Will +6
Abilities: str 16, dex 22, con -, int 14, wis 14, chr 16
Skills:56 max=8
Hide 8 +6+4-2= 16
Move silently 8+6+-2= 12
Spot 8+2= 10
Bluff 8+ 3= 11
Disable Device 8+2= 10
Climb 8+3-2= 11
Escape Artist 8+6-2 12

Feats: Improved Initiative, point blank shot, alertness, toughness, weapon finesse (bite), multiattack
CR: 8

Stench and paralysis as per MM but with DC (17)

This is what happened:

Last week I ran the prototype (Tyrmik the goblin thief) against the PC's and they killed him (mostly my fault he should have been able to het away). They promptly took all his MAGICAL equiptment and buried him.

The following night Tymrik rises as a ghast to continue to follow the order of his Demon lord.

This is what I did:

Made type into undead

Changed hit dice to d12 (kept the % of hitpoints per die; essentially removing the COn and doubling the hit points.)

Modified all saves, skills, attack, damage, and ac modifiers by adding the Ghast ability modifiers to his orginal stats.

Kept previous feats and special abilities and added all the ghast ones. I bumped up the turn resistance becaus eit seemed appropriate. I removed the goblin bonus to his skill points ( +4 to hide) but did not add ghasts "racial" bonuses because I didn't want to spend an hour figuring it out.

Now the questions:
In theory, whatever that means, is this a logical progression?

What should the CR be? ( I think probably 8)

DId I miss anything?

Thanks in advance.

(Edited after following Monte Cooks guidelines)

Last edited:

drowdude

First Post
trentonjoe said:
Another great idea form the slightly smaller, very much darker, elf friend.

Is +6 to one ability= to +2 in three?

I don't think so.

The magic item value for those kinda item advance by powers of 2 (4-8-16-32-64). I think they did that for a reason.

If this bonus was a magic item to three +2s would be worth 12,000 and the +6 would be an artifact level 128,000.

Also,
I try to avoid people running around with 24 and 26 in their stat column, personally.

Yeah, but I think overall it would still be balanced as far as setting up the template is concerned.

Compare it to the CR +1 1/2 Celestial template. With it numerous (and useful) immunities and +20 total bonus to attributes.

A +6 total is rather modest in comparison.

I still think it's kewl just from the "tempt them what they want most" point of view.

drowdude

First Post
Artoomis said:

I think that the "Planar Familiar" spell has been superceded by the Improved Familiar feat and the rules for getting an unusual mount, both of which, I think, have been published since the planar familiar spell was put out on the WotC site.

Nah, those familiar spells on the WotC website came out well after both the FRCS and Defenders of the Faith.

drowdude

First Post
On the death of a corrupted issue...

I like the thought that they can only be brought back via the power of the fiend that corrupted them. Makes sense seeing as how that the fiend holds their soul.

Having them come back as an undead is particularly nasty (and kewl ;) ).

Remove ads