Corrupted Template

trentonjoe

Explorer
This template is similar in philospophy to the fiendish templates and the Blackguard PrC.

Corrupted Template

To qualify a humanoid must make a pact with Evil outsider. In exchange for the humanoids service and/or soul the fiend grants the humanoid great powers to help in commiting evil acts.

AC: +1 natural armor
Abililites: +2 to any three ability scores
Feats: Alertness, toughness
SA: spell choice -see below
SQ: Posion Immunity, Fear Immunity, Darkvision 60 feet or previous +30
CR: +2 (+1 w/o the special gift)
Other: The fiend who makes a deal with the corupted often gives a magic item as a "gift" to it. The magic item should be worth no more than the character's level X 2,000.

SPells:
The corrupted creature can choose one of the following spells to can cast once per day as a sorcerer of the character's level:
-shield
-burning hands
-endure elements
-doom
-cause fear
-magic weapon
-protection form good
-summon monster I (evil creatures only)
-bane
-inflict light wounds
-shield of Faith
-chill touch
-ray of enfeeblement
-obscurring mist
-spider climb

The corrupted character gets to choose a second spell at 10th level, a third spell at 15th level, and a 4th spell at 20th level.
Sample Creature

Trymik
5th level corrupted Goblin Thief
Hitdice: 5d6 + 15+3 = 40
Initiative: +8 (dex +4 , improved iniative)
SPeed: 30
AC: 21 ( chain shirt +4, dex +4, natural armor +1, ring of protection +2)
Attacks: short sword (of venom +1) +6; of dagger +7
Damage: short sword (of venom +1) 1-6 +3; daggers 1-4 +2
Face: 5x5
Special Attacks: sneak attack 3d6, posion, can cast spell SHIELD once per day
Special Qualities: Posion Immunity, Fear Immunity, Darkvision 90 ft
Saves: Fort: For +4, Relex +8, Will +2
Abilities: str 14, dex 18, con 16, int 11, wis 12, chr 10
Skills: as a 5th level thief
Feats: Improved Initiative, point blank shot, alertness, toughness
CR: 7

All comments welcome. This is a work in progress.

Thanks in advance.

(Edit: fixed math and some wordings)
(Edited because of Red Baron's suggestions)
(Take 3- redid hitpoints, added spell list, moved con back to +2, removed outsider)
(Take 4 changed with drowdudes suggestions)
(Take 5 changed ability modifiers again and changed spell list do to Kaptain Kantrip's suggestions)

Last edited:

Red Baron

First Post
I don't think adding a HD is a good idea -- I don't think there's any precedent for such a thing. Maybe the Toughness feat or Con bonus if you want it to get more hit points: how about Toughness and +2 Str, +4 Con, with no Dex bonus? Also, I'd limit the 1st-level spells available to be chosen, maybe giving a list of options.

Not sure I'd change the creature type to outsider, either, but it's your work.

trentonjoe

Explorer
Thanks!

I removed the xtra hit die and added toughness and an additional +2 to con.

The current ability modifiers are +2 str, +4 con, +2 dex. I kept the dex because I see it as a bigger, faster, stronger boost.

Why would you limit the spell selection? I know most published templates give narrow options but why? Is it a flavor reason or balance?

graydoom

First Post
Whoah! An extra +2 con is a lot more than just one extra HD! Personally, I'd advise just giving the toughness feat.

As for limiting the spell choice... both flavor and balance. It just wouldn't be right for a corrupted creature to be able to cast, say, Bless. Limit it to appropriate spells.

And now that I look at it again, I would advise that the creature keep its former type. Changing it to outsider is a big change. A lot of stuff affects it more, and a lot of spells won't be able to do anything to it. And changing to outsider doesn't really fit, either... all a corrupted creature has done is made a pact with evil, not actually become a demon or devil himself.

trentonjoe

Explorer
Thanks again! It really helps when soemone notices the glaring mistakes you make!

I moved the con adjustment back to +2 as per your suggestion and took out the outsider as well.

I added a spell list. I think it is a little long, I think I might trim it to more "evil" spells and defensive spells.

I plan on using this guy tomorrow night so anymore suggestions would be more than welcome. I am trying to keep this as a +1 or 2 to the CR so please keep that in mind.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

drowdude

First Post
I dont have alot of time to check this over right now but at first glance CR +2 looks fairly accurate depending on what kind of gold piece limit you are placing on the value of the magical item the outsider gives out.

I'll check it out a bit more closely tommorrow.

Turlogh

Explorer
There should be some type of guide line or gp limit to the magic item gift (a vorpral, keen, intelligent,+5 greatsword is worth alot more than an everburning torch).

Overall it looks good (er... evil):D

drowdude

First Post
Character Level X 2 X 1000 gp would be a good guideline to use.

Also I would have them be able to cast use their spell-like ability as a sorcerer of their character level. Maybe give them an additional use per day for every 5 character levels too.

Another good idea would be to give them an additional immunity and one power based on the type of Outsider that corrupted them.

For example a Devil-Corrupted would gain immunity to Fire and See in Darkness.

Remove ads