• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cory Doctorow writes about the OGL 1.1

mhd

Adventurer
A not too small part of this seems to focus on the "You were signing away your rights with the OGL, as you can't copyright mechanics anyway" stuff we're hearing a lot.

I think a lot of people knew that already, but without a truly clear-cut distinction between mechanics and 'trade dress' or whatever the presentation might be called, people wouldn't have risked that. Lawyers being scary etc.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
I originally didn’t think they would, but at this point I’d be surprised if the EFF didn’t weigh in at some point.
They have, here's the ENWorld thread:

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I'm wondering now if all the companies that in theory went to lawyers to get their T's crossed and I's dotted when producing OGL content could find those attorneys liable if in fact the revocation of the OGL goes through? Is that even a thing? If a lawyer gives you bad advice and you suffer consequences as a result, can you find the lawyer at fault as well?

Remove ads