OGL 1.1 - Facts, not Fiction

Stormonu

Legend
There's been a lot of musings and ink/pixels spilt lately about the new OGL. I know there is a "leaked" document, but I can find neither Official releases of the OGL 1.1 on the Beyond or Wizard's site. Has the official wording been released? Because the leaked document is filled with a bunch of laymen's language that I can't personally believe it is the real thing. Links to the official document would be greatly appreciated.

Second, is there an effective date that has been put into place for the OGL 1.1 and discontinuation of OGL 1.0a (if any). Once again, official links would be greatly appreciated. I have a few documents on DriveThruRPG whose existance is up in the air due to the current situation, and I need to know if I need to remove them from sale by a certain date.

@Morrus, @darjr - I'm sure you've been keeping up with this and I'm hoping you can point us in the right direction!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
There's been a lot of musings and ink/pixels spilt lately about the new OGL. I know there is a "leaked" document, but I can find neither Official releases of the OGL 1.1 on the Beyond or Wizard's site. Has the official wording been released? Because the leaked document is filled with a bunch of laymen's language that I can't personally believe it is the real thing. Links to the official document would be greatly appreciated.

Second, is there an effective date that has been put into place for the OGL 1.1 and discontinuation of OGL 1.0a (if any). Once again, official links would be greatly appreciated. I have a few documents on DriveThruRPG whose existance is up in the air due to the current situation, and I need to know if I need to remove them from sale by a certain date.

@Morrus, @darjr - I'm sure you've been keeping up with this and I'm hoping you can point us in the right direction!
It has not yet been officially released, no. Just the leak. We all know about as much as you do at this point.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter

The "leaked one" is supposedly an FAQ + License interspersed with explanation, which would explain some of the language. The originals supposedly had links to get to the license by itself. Presumably those wouldn't be sharable safely under and NDA or leak if WotC was even vaguely cautious and had different codes for each document sent out.

That it isn't all hot air is seemingly confirmed, for example, by kickstarter verifying that royalty discussions occurred and that WotC was going to charge a lower royalty rate for things on kickstarter. Several big companies are acting as if it is real and WotC has yet to comment.

Nothing official yet. And even if the leaked one is real, they could always revise it before putting it in wide use.

Last edited:

Yora

Legend
So far, the only think from WotC appears to be a twitter post saying that they will make clarifications on the situation at some point in the future.

Why they have done nothing to attempt damage control if their brand is burning down because of false rumors has everyone puzzled for the last week now.

darjr

I crit!
In a nut shell.
The leak is real.
May be a draft.
WotC is supposed to upload a video response today.

Many people who were probably in meetings are making public moves that only really make sense if it’s bad.

Fendulum

Explorer
I don't think the colloquial-language explanations are inconsistent with it being the (draft) official license. You see this sometimes with legal documents that are meant to be understood by an average reader.

Remove ads