D&D 5E (CoS) Getting TPK'd at Old Bonegrinder and more.

Voi_D_ragon

Explorer
Alright, so my group (lvl 3) reached Old Bonegrinder last session. I had prepared for this, and the hags ripped the group to shreds, but they stabilized the whole group and tied them up, then proceeded to engage in some (very one-sided) negotiation.
One of my players (sorcerer) tried to get smart with them, so Morgantha chopped off his fingertips so he couldn't perform somatic components on his spells anymore. The party then managed to avoid getting the druid's tongue cut out by agreeing to another deal: going to the magic mirror in Vallaki and invoking the assassin to kill Rudolph Van Richten (they have no idea who he is).
The logic behind this is the hags heard the rumors about the monster hunter from Strahd's spies (they know most of what goes on in the valley) and decided to do him a favor by taking VR out (they do not know about S's plans to torture VR).
That being said: an Assassin can probably take out VR *provided he knows where he is*; I'm not sure if his ring of mind shielding would protect him from the mirror killer's magic tracking effect. If he is taken out, I want the PCs to have taken some time hearing about Van Richten's legendary exploits, so they have reason to hope they find him and have him join them. Once he's dead, they may try to find a way to raise him: clearly the best way to do this is via the Abbot: the question then would be if VR would agree to be raised by the Abbot, seeing as he is LE (even though he does serve the Morninglord and when he raises him VR would know his true name and presumably know it's angelic in nature).
So:
Does magic mirror assassin know Where VR is despite Ring of Mind Shielding?
Does VR agree to be raised by Abbot?
Anything else? (Mostly how mean should the bad guys be to the PCs?)

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I had something similar happen, except I had the jags force the party to eat dream pastries so they had a chance to get addicted and so that the hags took glee in the corruption of their bodies. The. I had the night hags use their nightmare ability on one of the characters who resisted them, which was a major impediment to the character and party at that level.

I’m your case I would say that the invisible assasin doesn’t know where van richter is. But have it show up later, perhaps when he reveals who he is to the party. The party unwilling leads the assassin to him. If he survives, he blames the party and hides from them and refuses to help them until they can prove their true intentions.

Voi_D_ragon

Explorer
I had something similar happen, except I had the jags force the party to eat dream pastries so they had a chance to get addicted and so that the hags took glee in the corruption of their bodies. The. I had the night hags use their nightmare ability on one of the characters who resisted them, which was a major impediment to the character and party at that level.

I’m your case I would say that the invisible assasin doesn’t know where van richter is. But have it show up later, perhaps when he reveals who he is to the party. The party unwilling leads the assassin to him. If he survives, he blames the party and hides from them and refuses to help them until they can prove their true intentions.

(I had a dream pastry force-fed to the rogue as well, for the lulz)

Remove ads